Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

So, I've had a two stroke fetish and a vintage bike fetish for many many years. Used to have a daily, year round rider that was a GS450 cafe racer, but was soon ready to upgrade to something faster. I started looking around for bikes. What I wanted couldn't just be any run of the mill bike- that would just be too easy.

I came across the Suzuki GT550, motohangar's Honduki, CTLuba's Blue Smoke Devil, and decided I could make something like that. Well, I bought a GT550, then another one, and then another engine. haha.

Built my frame, used an SV swinger, and 08 GSX-R front forks, but hated the outcome. The SV swing arm is way too long for the frame, and when you think about it, adding these components are going to stress an already bendy frame with more forces than originally intended. I also just really hated how long the swinger was for the bike. No offense, but stretched swing arms don't fit my riding style/application.

Then I found a few guys who'd stuck H2 engines in GSXR frames, and the I saw Cabbie's Quikasfaki and started looking into this as an option for my own build. Bought a GSX-R frame and tank, put my suspension stuff on, chopped, ground a bit away, and here's my project in rough draft phase with some other pictures.

Previous build:

The first GT550

Where I'm at right now as of 2 days ago- still a rough draft:

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is so cool. I can't wait to see your progress.

Is it being held up by the sub frame sitting on the rear tire? Is that why the front end looks raked out so much?
Yeah, you're spot on. Unfortunately the SV swinger I was going to use originally wouldn't play nice with the GSXR frame. I have a gsxr swing arm on the way. That'll get her stance looking better.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Great idea looks like its going to be badass when its done

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish i could find a decent 2smoke around hear. watching with interest.
Where're you from?

If I could do a few things differently I would definitely go for a twin cylinder 2 stroke next time. The ability to rebuild the crankshafts easier would be nice. The 3 cyl. is pretty complicated to do.

I'm definitely playing with the idea of putting a CR500 engine in a street bike down the line.

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the tail does look a little large from certain angles, but we'll see how it looks once it's down on the sub frame. It is just sitting on top of the sub frame. Can't quite fit it down flat yet... With some of it's lines at different angles it might shrink a bit. Also, the fact that it's white and contrasting to a dark blue tank doesn't help.

It was a free tail we had lying around, been wanting it for some project, we'll see how it looks. Originally I had planned on doing a smaller tail, sort of like this bike by Hard Up Choppers inthe UK.

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those bikes are pure sex!

I love those spoked wheels and the colors.... Hawt Damn I want one!
Yeah dude. A facebook buddy of mine owned the white one. The shop that built it also does the best GSXR choppers I've ever seen- and I usually hate those builds- no offense to anyone.

I'm planning actually on doing a Suzuki blue/white paint up job like the one in the picture. I really was tempted to modify my originaly GT550 frame to be just like that bike, but I dont' have the space/tools (yet) to do that intense of a build. Someday....

·
GTX-R 550
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something I could use all of your help with.

I need to find a suitable headlight. And, I'm a cheap SOB student. Something used, $75 or less. Single round headlight.
I could just buy a used one off of eBay for a GS500 or SV650, which I might, but I'd like to get a little bit better quality of light than stock.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen pictures of lenses that are flat rather than convex and VERY clear, but I don't know what they're called or where to look for one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative of your suggestions!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts