Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was back for Christmas me and my dad were talking about his old bike he built. I'd heard about it in passing but never seen pictures before, after a rummage in the loft he came down with these pics of his Triton! It's a 66 engine in a 61 frame:

He doesn't have it anymore, he didn't have any bikes when I was growing up, but it seems it's in the blood huh? He tracked it down a few years ago but the guy wouldn't let it go, my dad had stamped his own numbers onto the engine casings and the guy had been labouring under the belief it as a prototype engine! The guy had changed the tank, painted it red and put a giant "TRITON" stencil in gothic letters on the side. My dad's comment on that was: "Anyone you would want to know, would know. Anyone who doesn't know, doesn't need to know. So what's the point in that?" :D

He can't ride any more, but I think I've just about persuaded him that it doesn't mean you can't build, he was shopping for CBX engines when I left. ;) Anyway, it was nice to see what he used to get up to, hope you like the pictures.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Very cool. I know my dad talks about his old kz900 from his younger days I always wonder what it looked like.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool. I know my dad talks about his old kz900 from his younger days I always wonder what it looked like.
Has he got any pictures? I almost feel sorry for any future kids from CF'ers that ask that question, it'll be hundreds! "Dad, do we really have to look at the photos of how you made a seat pan again?" :D

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Lol in going to ask him. I've seen pictures of my dad riding dirt bikes and hitting jumps on them. They were pretty cool. My dad's best friend has them. Maybe he has some.

My dad's best friend has the setup best setup. He never grew up but got married had kids and is now divorced. His kids have raced their whole lives so he lives in a tiny house but has a shop in his backyard that's HUGE!!! Has a trailer with a full shop in it for traveling to and from races.

·
V four honda whore
12,417 Posts
my dad uses to ride a lot. that year when i was born his bike was stolen. never got other again. i wish that some day i will be able to build a bike for him and my mom.

also i keep on sending different bike ads to my good friend, who is a car manic. trying to get him into bikes

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Veddy Nice. The Only thing left from my Dads Riding days is his Tag. Had his helmet for the longest time. then he threw it in the Bin.
his bike was something along these lines.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Beautiful bike! Not just the finish product, but the character and work he put into it. To top it off with a classic response, that only a person who has put monumental time and thought into a project would say :party-smiley:

Im saving as my back ground, that bike is motivation.
Mind if I quote your dad for my sig

Also, keep in contact with the current owner. Invite him on rides, non pressuring situations. Just get to know him, you never know. He may sell it in the future.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im saving as my back ground, that bike is motivation.
Mind if I quote your dad for my sig.
Ha, yeah, no problem!

Thanks for your comments guys i'll be sure to pass them on.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Very nice!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love this bike. Are they old photos or edited?
God no, they aren't "hipstermatic", they're proper photos from the 70s that we scanned. Glad you like it!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Messaged my dad about the bike so he gave me a quick run down of mods:

"A few details of triton

It did help that I lived about 500m from Padgetts (famous TT sponsors and bike preparers)

1961 Norton featherbed frame from a 99, Roadholder forks, frame stove enamelled metallic red

1967 Triumph T120R built from new spares hence need to punch engine number, high pressure oil feed to rockers, racing camshaft, lightened timing gears

New Amal 1 5/32" GP2 carbs with match box float on home made spacers ( bought from Padgetts who ordered them direct from Amal) set up with info from Amal

5 gallon alloy petrol tank and 1 gallon alloy oil tank made by the famous frame and tank maker Jim Lee (worked with Padgetts on their original Yamaha 2 stroke racers)
John Tickle rear sets, gear change and TLS front brake

Dunstall cross balanced exhaust and mega silencers and fibre glass seat

Dunlop alloy rims

Norton Commando speedo and tacho

Chrome headlight with Cibie light unit

Battery hidden between rear engine plates in stainless steel carrier

Electrics designed by stepfather who was an electronics engineer home design of Zener diode system

Stainless mudguards and stays

Now it is minus tanks, brake, clocks, carbs, ignition system and would love to get it back to rebuild it to my original spec."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts