Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im starting my build thread. Bike is off to a bit of a slow start, but Im gunna get rolling with the thread anyway.

History: Last year some time i spotted a salvage F4 rolling chassis with motor on ebay, got it for $450. I was planning on putting the bike back to a lightly modded stock form on the cheap. I ordered a shitty body kit from hong kong, and when the mounting bosses started snapping off and the seat cowl didnt fit, I said 'F it' and by "F it" you all know i mean Fighter It.

Ive been dragging my feet on painting it, and I finally got around to ordering up some of the parts i will need to get the thing road ready and fightered.

First up. I mounted up a set of Dirty bars off an Aprilia RXV to my stock top trip.

Yes they are mounted high, partially cuz i was afraid that the studs hanging down would hit something, and partially because I'm 6'4 and want a comfy posture.

Then I threw together a gauge mount for the F4i cluster I have.

I picked up a honda fart can really cheap. Im thinking of making a shorty pipe out of it, plus this pic shows a bit of the actual bike im working with.

I also have an Acerbis Cyclops mounted up. Sadly I have no pics of that, and the bike is 90 miles away :oops:

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a set of F4i throttle bodies & ECU if you want to convert to fuel injection! You would need an F4i tank & wiring harness to finish the job, but it would be bolt on!
I was actually thinking of bolting up some throttle bodies and running MicroSquirt.

I had always sorta guessed that the FI was bolt on, but I wasnt sure what other sensors were missing in the block. And at the very least I would need the IAT and MAP sensors in the air box, as well as O2 to run micro or the later FI computer (or was that just for CAL-SPEC?).

Im assuming that thanks to the computerized ignition all of the timing triggers are already in place for the FI system too? Does the FI bike have a cam and crank sensor, or just crank? Microsquirt is a real bitch without a cam angle sensor...

Ultimately I will probably finish this bike up at some point and sell it to trade up to a nicer FI bike with a clean title, not to say that I wouldnt be tempted to do the upgrade if I got the parts for the right price.:shocker:

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bit of progress:

V&H shortened pipe....
Ingredients:

End result:

(just need some shiny stainless rivets and screws to finish it up)
I'd like to polish the tip better at some point:

I also started painting up some (hopefully) not warped rotors, sadly no pics...

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another update:

Mounted up the bars and cluster, the cluster landed exactly where I wanted it:

The cyclops looks good on there I think, I got a Silverstar for the highbeam:

Loaded the whole mess into my friends pick up and brought it down to a buddies garage so I can actually work on the bike without running 90miles home:

Fit on the shorty pickup like it was built for it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
glad you went with the V&H instead of that oversized car piece. keep at it man.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad you went with the V&H instead of that oversized car piece. keep at it man.
yeah... me too :D

So i have my gas tank in one of the lab/work spaces @ my university. Ive been priming and sanding it this week. Some punk scratched the shit out of it doing god knows what, and instead of owning up to it, they tried to cover it up by brushing more primer over the scratches.

So I wasted another hour sanding through the scratches, and now the priming continues.

I was going to use this project as my first dive into using real spray equipment, but the gravity gun that I have access to is such a POS it dribbles paint all over the place, and I dont know enough about it to try to fix it. I have a nice brand new gun at home, but I dont think my dad is 100% cool with me taking it.

This combined with the fact that I want to have this bike DONE in the next 4 weeks to go on a group ride, has left me with the decision of using good rattle can paint, and doing it the crappy way, but doing it the right way for rattle can paint.

I plan on buying new plugs tonight, and maybe getting the bike to fire this weekend.

Im picking up a little yamaha qt50 for the gf, so Ill also be getting that running this weekend as well.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I spent some time this weekend trying to get the engine to fire.

It made a few attempts, but mostly just launched huge fire balls out the tail pipe.

I threw in some new plugs, the old ones didn't look too bad:

I found the easiest way to get them out was to tape a universal to an extension, and the plug socket on the universal.

Unf new plugs arent helping. At some point this engine had water sitting in the intake, and the back of the valves are kinda rusty on #1 and 2. I cleaned them as best I could, but there still seems to be a compression problem on #2 and there may or may not be worse problems.

I plan to drop the engine and pop the head. Provided theres no damage to the bottom end, I have another head to swap on that has roughly the same miles, and is in better shape.

I stuck my hand guards and undertail on for some inspiration:

I think they look good, and make great blinkers.

just your typical cheap shotgun undertail that I got even cheaper as a factory blem.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keep at it man, you got a nice lil project goin :rock:
Thanks!

I got ambitious tonight and tore the head off the engine.

I was pleased to find that the engine didnt have to come out to do so, but I took all the mounts off except the swinger pin so I could tilt the engine up and down on a jack to make certain steps easier.

When I first got the head off, my heart sank as this is what I saw:

Sorry for the blur, but I was still getting over the shock of seeing the mess in #4:doh:

I cleaned things up a bit using just a dry rag. Starts to look a bit sunnier:
:thumbsup:

Things look a bit scratched up, but really even the worst scratch cant be felt with your fingernail:
:shockerknucks:

Ill be ordering a bunch of gaskets tomorrow, and then Ill be slapping on the cleaner, nicer head I have sitting around as soon as they come in.

I'm still debating ordering the gaskets from RonAyers, or paying a bit extra and seeing if they are in stock anywhere locally. If I can get them locally, I'll be installing the head this weekend, and trying this whole starting and running thing again.

Good news, its supposed to warm up the end of this week, and hit mid-high 60's here over the weekend!!!:rock::rock::letsride:

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Cool project dude.
Don't worry about using the rattle cans. If it's done right most times you can't even tell it's done from a can!
Like the handguards man. I wanted to put some on my 250. Where'd ya score them from?
I went overseas for an engine gasket kit (I'm in Aus). Over here they wanted $77 for a valve cover gasket. I got a complete engine gasket kit from Z1 Enterprises for $76+shipping...Well worth the week wait for me...
Hopefully you'll have her running soon!

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool project dude.
Don't worry about using the rattle cans. If it's done right most times you can't even tell it's done from a can!
Like the handguards man. I wanted to put some on my 250. Where'd ya score them from?
I went overseas for an engine gasket kit (I'm in Aus). Over here they wanted $77 for a valve cover gasket. I got a complete engine gasket kit from Z1 Enterprises for $76+shipping...Well worth the week wait for me...
Hopefully you'll have her running soon!
Ive seen some really great rattle can jobs, it just takes a bit of planning and elbow grease.

The hand guards are a combination of the cheapest hand guards I could find on :ebay: ($20) and some LED strip lights. I got 4 of the LED strips for $5. My only concern is I may have to upgrade the adhesive.

I dont really need all of the gaskets. Just top end stuff like the head, head cover, timing tensioner, and spark plug holes. Its about $80 plus shipping from RonAyers.com (online dealer) So Im hoping I can find all the ones I need locally and in stock for $100. If no one around here has them in stock, I will order them online and play the waiting game.:doh:

On a side note, I ordered the parts I need to fix my gf's little yamahopper!

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
cool bike. looks like you have your hands full. Like the ideas too. keep it up, I look forward to seeing it come together.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday I called every bike shop in a 100mi radius to see if anyone had the gaskets I needed in stock.
Nope.
So I ordered them from RonAyers, and they should be here by the end of NEXT week :doh:

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update....

So I FINALLY got the head back together with the valves properly shimmed and all that. Still can't get it to pop.

I think I'm having some electrical problems, in that the engine isn't cranking as fast as it should even with jumper cable hooked to my truck.

I need to do a proper compression test to rule out stuck rings/ junk bores. I didnt tear into the bottom end when I had the engine apart, but it felt like each cylinder was getting pretty good ring seal with a bit of oil on the rings.

For now I'm boxing the whole thing up and getting ready to move 1100 miles come the end of the month. I will have to deal with it later.

major disappointment to go ANOTHER summer without 2 wheels. The only bike ive been riding is my gf's moped, which works out well since shes been stealing my truck to go to work most days.

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, Im finally all relocated, and have some shop space again.

Did a compression test, and got really stellar numbers like:

35,90,120,90 (psi) seeing as the spec is 178psi I'd say I'm screwed.

For now Im gunna drain the pan and fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil or Kerosene to see if the rings will unstick.

I'd bet money that this winter I will have the engine apart to hone/machine the bores and slap new rings on.

bah... :doh:

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally put some time in on the bike. My stupid Kodak pocket shooter has decided that it doesnt know how to focus when its cold outside, so most of these pictures look like crap...

First things first, I had to dig the poor thing out. this was going to be my pic for the "pic of your bike as it sits right now" thread:

I started out by re-mouting by bar risers with the spacers under the top clamp. This brought the bars down about an inch, and should help with the strength of things:

I have a mop handle in the risers in this pic because I was trying to figure out if they were crooked or not. The bars I have are pretty tweaked, so I needed something else to go by.

Here you can see the spacer below the clamp:

and here you can see how the screen meets the cluster and hides the relocated horn:

·
ingamaneer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Next up I decided to check on the engine, and see how the marvel mystery oil was doing.

I wanted to try to shake the rings loose, so I put a 14mm socket on the impact gun and very gently put the impact to the crank bolt. I was hoping the impact action would work on the rings, without wreaking too much havoc on the crank bearings.

I cranked it over a few seconds to clear the oil out of the cylinders, and did a compression test.

1,2, and 4 basically didnt change. They all went up just a little from there being oil on the rings.

#3 seems to have freed the rings, I got over 200psi with a bit of oil in it..

So I poured a bunch more MMO into the 3 that still have shit compression, and hopefully it will do more good...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts