Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Fearless Keyboard Warrior
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked on this site for several years now, using you all for your collective wisdom about things like fork and swing arm swaps, and as a source of inspiration, but I decided I should finally make an account and post around here myself. This is my first street bike build. I didn't intend for it to turn into a build, but I should have known better since I seem to be incapable of not modifying anything I own.

Growing up, I had dirt bikes and I always wanted a street bike, but I was a bit of reckless jackass when I younger, so I convinced myself to stick with cars until I could behave myself on a motorcycle.

Fast forward to about 4 years ago and I finally decided I had matured enough (lolz) to trust myself on a street bike, so I started the hunt for one. At first, I started looking for a mid-80s bike like a Yamaha Seca/Maxim or something along those lines that I could get for really cheap and make a project out of. However, a buddy of mine had a bike in his garage that he'd had for quite a while but hadn't ridden in over two years that he was thinking of getting rid of. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I bought it.

The bike is a 1996 Suzuki Bandit 600. When I bought it, it had only 10k miles on it and was overall in really good condition and ran great.

First mod: taking the tank bra off.

After that, I yanked the dorky fairing off, added a round headlight and a few other small items, and cleaned up the tail. Then I rode it like that for the summer to get used to motorcycles again.

Once riding season was over, I tucked the bike in the basement with the intention of partially tearing the bike down over the winter to spruce it up a bit and give it a bit of a makeover.

This is when it all started going downhill...

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next thing you know, I'd purchased a SSSA from Honda Hawk and a Triumph Speed Triple parts bike, and parts from those started making themselves to the Bandit.

Shortly thereafter I found myself buying a Ducati Monster seat and then the sub frame "fell off."

Then the rear motor mount and shock mounts fell off, so I had to do some maths and then we had to fabricate some new parts.

The motor mount was also moved down a bit to make some room. You can see the hole from where the original cross bar was.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next up was a new subframe to accomodate the Monster seat.

The gussetting wasn't really necessary, but my friend who helps me with my fab work had a new toy and wanted to use it, so we added it in.

After that, the bike went back together to make sure everything was still fitting together as intended.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. That sub looks real good, and nice mount for that shock
Thanks! It's really helpful when you have the trifecta of having a friend who is a really good welder, with access to a waterjet, and another friend who is a badass machinist. :party-smiley:

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the sub frame was finished, I realized this project had become larger and more involved than I originally intended, and the bike was turning out pretty damn cool. So, I decided I should up the (already blown) budget and take this bike to the next level. First splurge was on a complete GSXR1000 front end.

At this point, the bike was reassembled and rideable. I put a few miles on it to make sure all the kinks were worked out.

Then it came back apart again for final finish work.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This fool showed UP doin work and was all like "eff the intro thread, fam. Ima show these chumps what's up..." Badass work, brother. Keep up the fire. This is what it's all about. I am subscribed.
I learned by watching movies that the best way to establish dominance in prison is to find the biggest dude on the first day and kick his ass. I guess this is the internet forum equivalent? :D

I'm new to this forum, but I've been around for some time now.

Before I got into to bikes, I was into cars (well, I'm still into them, but my bikes get most of the attention lately).

·
str8 stoopid
914 Posts
I learned by watching movies that the best way to establish dominance in prison is to find the biggest dude on the first day and kick his ass. I guess this is the internet forum equivalent? :D
We DID just have a rousing conversation about the prison wallet...

A lot of us around here started in cars and we all share the same thought that stock is boring.

Welcome to the forum (belated) You're gonna fit in just fine. What's next for the Catchy Bandit?

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's next for the Catchy Bandit?
The bike has actually been done for over a year now, I just haven't finished writing the rest of the posts for this thread. LOL

Work is getting in the way of my forum posts.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next up came a lot of painting, polishing, powder coating, cleaning, and detail work.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At long last, it was time for final assembly.

I'm a bit of a neat freak, and that is reflected in this bike. There isn't a part or bolt on this bike that wasn't modified or reconditioned to like-new condition.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After almost two years of working on the bike off and on (adult things like work and family kept getting in the way), it was finally finished.

[/img]http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/dbartley82/Bikes/WP_20150525_15_53_28_Pro_zpsaumixx2i.jpg[/img]

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was quite pleased with how the bike turned out, and the bike got a very warm reception at some local bike gatherings. I also decided to toss it into a local show, where it again got a positive response.

I rode the piss out of it all last summer, and put about 2000 miles on it.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't do much to the bike over the winter, besides pull it out for rides whenever a nice day rolled through.

Then, this happened:

http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-suzuki-bandit-600

Here's a few extra pics that didn't get used in the Bike Exif feature:

And that concludes the "build" portion of this thread.

I still plan to do a few more things to the bike (turbo perhaps?), so I'll keep this thread updated as I do more to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.