Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone? I am relatively new when it comes to posting to the forum, but have been lurking around for a while as I have been building my first streetfighter. I have been around motorbikes for the last ten years -- mostly Honda RC51s, 1000rr, and GSXR-1000 K5/K6. Basically have taken them apart for one reason or another and put them back together.

This story begins March of 2012 (yeah -- its been a while and taken me some time to get the photos together and such) when a good friend of mine dropped off a CBR 900rr and had an idea for a single sided swing arm to go with it. He handed me the keys and an aluminum spacer and told me the swing arm was on the way. I have been wanting to make this thread for a while in order to document the build as well as giving back to forum. Hopefully this will help someone else as the forum as helped me with this build. I'll do my best to keep the posts in sequence of the build.

Here is the bike when it first arrived...

And so began the dismantling...

And then we found some dirt....

And a little more dismantling...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The swing arm took longer than expected to get out. There was some legacy rust on the pivot bolt that did not want to give. Since parts on eBay were readily available ended up drifting it out...

We never did get the drift out of the pivot bolt... No swingarm any more....

And a little more dirt to deal with...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kept working on the hub and sprocket assembly...

Bearings for the swing arm pivot were not in the best shape. Ended up having to take it to the dealer get one side drifted out. Honda did not sell the tool anymore to press it out either...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motor was really dirty so ended up cleaning up more of the small parts first before sending them off to powder...

Tried to clean by hand but that did not work very well...

Ended up making a makeshift ultrasonic bath which helped quite a bit...

You'd never know it was working...

Parts came out really clean prior to being set out to powder...

And yes, the frame is back from powdercoat, but there will be some better pictures of that later...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the motor and frame back together and started check the fitment on spaces since the red powdercoat is a dual layer powder and adds some width on the motor mounts...

Added a new front sprocket too...

And got the stem pressed back into the lower triple and mocked up...

1 - 20 of 302 Posts