Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Doin Kustom werk with bro
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project we started a couple weeks ago. Picked the bike up for $500 and my brother, a bike builder, is doin it up for me! Going to be pretty awesome and it will have my brother's business logo on the sides somewhere. (56K for 56kustoms)

Its an 81 kawasaki LTD 550:rock:

We are going for a "kafesaki" look.

We already took the 4 carbs off and cleaned. Took the air box and junk off, put the carbs back on and started right up with clean gas.

Tank has a lot of rust and dirt inside but were prob going to keep the tank.

The tail piece will be a custom. The seat custom, the handlebars too.

We are keeping the pipes but going to get rid of the baffles.

On to a few pics

First a few of stock bike:

Getting it torn down:

More pics later.. I have A.d.d lol:fu:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice bike man, looking forward to the build. So are you going to go minimalistic cafe style?

Doesn't zx refer to the later year ninja/gpz bike? I could be wrong but I would have thought this was a KZ550 LTD

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice bike man, looking forward to the build. So are you going to go minimalistic cafe style?

Doesn't zx refer to the later year ninja/gpz bike? I could be wrong but I would have thought this was a KZ550 LTD
Thanks.. ya, I don't really have the details of this bike right yet lol I think your right:excellent:(KZ)

Don't know if I'm going minimal... probably... maybe lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love the old bikes on this site so keep us updated (I know I'm desperate to see others work as I can't seem to find the time to work on mine!)

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The rear end piece will be slightly different but I like the shape of that one

That's the last of the pics till I work on it more w bro

I'd like to get any and everyone's opinions, suggestions, thoughts.........

Reactions: F'dup

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The tank has a interesting story. There is a small dent on the right side and we attempted to fix by blowing air into the tank. We took a air nozzle and injected air into it. Also tapped on and around the dent w/ a rubber mallet. It seemed to be working... but just as we began to stop we noticed something wasn't right.. On the underside, the tank had blown up and out, making the tank huge and miss-shapened. Ruined!! That's what I thought... Bro had to take a chill pill but he came back with some straps (used to tie down a bike in the truck bed). We wrapped the tank in the straps and began cranking down to squeeze the tank back into shape.

After a few minutes it actually worked... We had to tweak it a little more but we got it to fit the bike again. Hopefully you can't tell and the tank looks good.............

Bro here is sanding down the frame after we cut off the tabs that we are later going to relocate.

We changed the handlebars totally. Different bars and configuration. I just wasn't feelin the others so we got out some different piping and attempted to bend it. My bro has a large tool you bend pipe with but it was too tuff so we heated it up with the torch and when it was red hot we bent it very easily.. Well he did. Did it by eye. I like these handlebars a LOT better.

We need to move the guage cluster up a little bit cause the reservoir on the handlebars hit a little bit.... also need to weld the stoppers on the forks so the handlebars don't hit the tank at steering... so I will loose a little steering but bro insists it won't be a big deal.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Love the above shot!!!

The Green rear piece goes to bro's other bike, we're just using it cause its going to be a model for what we will be making. The actual piece will be very much like that but without the flare up. Its going to be hiding the battery also.

On top of this piece we are making it removable with body clips such as you see on muscle car hoods. It works great (in our head) and will add to the muscle bike theme were going for.

On the side, were going to vinyl on some logo stickers (56k)

Lastly, were going to try to use the stock taillight which is rectangular. The piece should look pretty good.....In our heads! lol :fu:

Here is bro on the bike :rock: We are going to try to get new tires (bike is old) with white lettering again.. I like that muscle car feel it gives

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I can't see you not knowing this already, but they do make white letter pens to do the letters yourself on tires.... Jus' sayin' lol...

Bike is looking good man keep it up...

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't see you not knowing this already, but they do make white letter pens to do the letters yourself on tires.... Jus' sayin' lol...

Bike is looking good man keep it up...
Does that stuff work good though? Does it come off after a while? :clown: thanks for that suggestion...

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
It holds up alright. I've know a couple of people using on cars that see more crap weather than a bike usually will. And yeah it will need touch up, but it's in a pen and easy to do that...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah that was supposed to say new... I think I must have posted via my phone. I'd run either no side covers or you could make your own, but obviously with your new framing the stock covers don't match.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh gotcha.. ya I think ur right

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just spoke w bro and were are going with a minimalistic bike

No sidecovers!

Because bro has been super busy no additional work done but gettin on this asap will have new pics next weekend

1 - 20 of 21 Posts