Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 96 ZX9 from my buddy for 300 dollars, a new rear tire, and a new Shoei RF-1K helmet. Not a bad deal if you ask me :D

So the bike started out life as this:

It had chrome pieces here and there, a Muzzy slip on, strapped down front forks, and really beat up fairings. After riding her for a couple
of months I decided to so a 520 conversion...thats where things
went good. We pulled off the back wheel only to see the hub bearings fall all over the floor :nuts:. So now we have to wait a week to get the bearings in...what to do, what to do. Well for some time we have been discussing cammoing the fairings to hide the gouges lol. So we tear the bike down and I start with the tank. Well the cammo didnt go over so well. I was using black and dark blue as the base, and intense blue pearl, light blue, white, and silver as the patterns. I started diggin the blue pearl, so I sprayed a little on the sub frame. This is what the result was:

After looking at the painted frame and it being fairingless, nore ideas popped in my head. After getting this look I was hooked on the street fighter look:

So now what to do with the tank to get it to blend in. I really didnt want to paint the whole thing blue, so I did a quick crappy cheese pattern using a pewter color.:

After sitting back and looking at the bare frame, I concluded I needed to make it a 1 seater, and chop the subframe down. Sorry for the crappy pic..cell phone, night shot, and poor photoshop skills lol:

So after all of this was set in motion, I was talking about a bellypan, and we both looked at each other and grabbed the fairings. After a little deliberation this is the final result thus far. I still need to chop the subframe, build some filler plates for the frame, and loose the whole headlight gauge assembly...

So now I have less than 1500 in the entire build including the bike, conversion, and the rattle can paint.

Future plans include:
new handle bars
new headlights
new gauges
powercoating the frame
rechroming the chrome pieces
new tank with real paint job lol

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Speed Crazy
214 Posts
badass brah. and 300 bucks... damn. i thought i got a good deal on my old cbr for 700. but that kawi was damn near a steal. i really like that paint too.

are you going to get a shorty can? or something? it looks like a cherrybomb was slapped on the side.. haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah we are going to chop down the can to match the subframe.

thanks for the comments everyone. I will keep this thread updated whenever something changes...which hopefully will be often :)

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
please dont cut the subframe...if you do atleast put a tail fairing on it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to late, she is cut off. I am going to have a guy that works here in the mold shop cut and fiberglass the old tail to make it fit...I hope

·
Too Much is ALMOST Enough
309 Posts
Looks good man :) I saw your post on TR so I had to come over here and check it out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to cut down that pipe too ;)

You mean like that :D

Thanks for the comments all! I have come to find out this is a love hate bike...some love it, some laugh at it. But almost everyone looks at it :rock:

alabaster - this thing is always ripping around somewhere

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
im on the hate it half. granted my bandit went for the bobber look early in its life. the look blew way up when bladerod showed up in ssb and ill be glad when it fades out. but on the flip i love your paint and frame color.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya...I am really starting to double guess my choice. I need to go ahead and finish up the new tail and throw it on, that should make it look much much better.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
Who cares if your bike looks like someone else's? You're supposed to build what you want.

Consider building a custom subframe, one that looks better on its own, and using something more attractive than Generic Black Plastic to cover the electrics underneath.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who cares if your bike looks like someone else's? You're supposed to build what you want.

Consider building a custom subframe, one that looks better on its own, and using something more attractive than Generic Black Plastic to cover the electrics underneath.
I am going to cut down the tail plastics, and bondo them up real nice. Then my buddy here at work is going to make a fiberglass mold, and lay up a whole new piece. It will look almost stock, but shorter.

Thanks Frankie!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts