Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trav72, i don't want to kick you when your down but your time will come and you will love the Strom i know, because........

i just picked one up. i have been wanting one since 02. and have been staring at the brochure hanging in my garage since. well the time had come and allowed for it so i have been looking pretty serious since winter and came across one in New Orleans. i have been talking to the seller since april and finally got the planets in alignment to make the purchase and trip down to ride back. yes ride back! 1152 miles plus an additional 111 for a missed exit. 20hrs on bike minus 1 night in a hotel. i believe the purhase was well worth it. it was L O A D E D!!! here are the specs..

02 DL1000 dark grey/silver, w/ 17000 miles
Farkles (accessories): 3 windshields, heated grips, fender extender (front), rear hugger, crash bars, gel seat (and stocker), full GIVI luggage set, huge GIVI tankbag, Two brother's cans, PCIII, racetech fork springs, OHLINS rear shock with hydraulic preload adj., tank bra, throttle rocker/cramp buster (worth it's weight in gold),new rear bridgestone, and brand new battery (put in less than an hour before he picked me up at the airport).

well other than a very sore ass, getting soaked a couple times, and a severe ringing in my ears from the 2 bro's cans (stockers are going back on....i allready have a loud bike) i can say i absolutely love it. the thing rails and pulls hard. way more than expected since i rode a stock one in daytona on a demo thing at suzuki. i assume it was helped with the high buck suspension. i really made the purchase so i can park the truck and use the bike daily and so the wifey and i can do some extended trips.

it is truly an amazing machine. albeit some may think it's an oldman's bike, but it performs very well and i plan on suprising my buddies this sunday :D. a jack of all trades one might say. just throw my shite in the bags and go. a pleasure to use and i can't wait to ride it. rain or shine.

i will try and get some pics up

ps. trav, pm me if you want some links to the strom sites i go to. lots, lots, lots of info for researching. very helpful.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Right on man. Sounds like a sweet deal. Is it much taller then the TL? I always thought that would be a little anoying in town but seems like a cool bike.

I'm suprised how many guys are getting touring bikes. I guess we're all getting old now, lol. I got to barrow my buddies FJR1300 for a couple weeks. That thing was sweet. Did 1000 miles on it one weekend and loved it. Thing's a Cadillac. Had electric cruise, electric windscreen, man is that a god send haha, and full cases. Packed the cases, tossed my girl on the back and railed around ATL like she wasn't even there.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
:hairpull: :LolLolLolLol: Thanks for rubbing it in! Congrats on the purchase! I've ridden the bike a few times and love it! It's definitely the bike I want. The problem I'm having is finding one. I've got a one lined up to look at this weekend. But what I'm running into are guys that have by been trying to sell for a while but are asking more than it's worth. It's seriously one of the hardest bike purchases I've ever tried to make. I'm very close to having to buy a new one. I'm looking at one tomorrow that's an 03 DL1000, full color matched kappa hard bags, corbin, two brothers (which now I may not want after reading your story), tank bag, heated grips and power commander with 11,000 miles. I also have a line on an 02 completely stock with 3,000 miles. But the owner doesn't get back in town until July 9th. I know one will come along eventually but I don't want to wait until the end of the summer. It's very frustrating to have cash in hand and not being able to find what I want.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
:ttiwwop:

a guy at my work has one. he loves it, for the most part. its a little less agressive then he'd like sometimes but its good.

u gonna streetfighter it up or what???!!

:metal:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I was just thinking the pther day about how weird I was for wanting to fighter a strom

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I finally got one! Didn't really like the yellow in the pics but when I saw the bike in person I loved it. People definitely see me and get out of my my. The ride home was 150 miles down the entire NJ turnpike....people were consistently moving over to get out of the way. The bike is ridiculously comfortable with plenty of power! I could ride this thing all day long.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Congrats Trav...bike looks great. But those high mounts...they gotta go....but since were friends.....I'll take em off your hands cheap. LOL:D

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Good lookin bikes guys, Jack-of-all trades seems to be what everybody says about the Stroms :)

·
Magical result! so, the beemer will live another day, but I know you are going to love the bomb-proof "V" in that package.

Truth is comin' home to rost over here too.. The Gal wishes we had luggage capability, I went ape-shit and forgot all about the comfort/convenience factor and let my two-wheel caddy go to clear space for a new-kid-on-the-block naked SV thou..

She complains about the hard ride one more time...I will get a VMax trike and blow her mind :LolLolLolLol:

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Really funny that this thread pops up, I just found a 2002 DL1000 on local craigslist with 9000 miles for like $5000-ish. is that a decent deal? It's a few hours away, but I am really really tempted by this thing, I've always liked how they look and have heard it's super comfy and pretty sporty as far as a touring/enduro/sport cross thing goes. Don't really have the spending money for it right now, but I could always dip into my long-term savings...

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
^^ Is the bike you are talking about in Philly? Yeah that's about what they are going for. It also depends what accessories it has with it as well. I have to say that I love this bike! I'll be putting many many miles on it! I say get one if you are thinking about it. You won't be sorry!

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
very sweet ride, i had been looking at a couple of the yellow ones. i would have taken one over the blue. (sorry the only blue i dig is ford/new holland blue) yup i agree i can see many miles too. sort of wonder why other makes aren't filling the bill with their own models to compete with the strom and beemers.

7.62, you can find a wide variety of bikes/prices most depends on the farkles (accessories) the goal is to find one that has most for the least. it seems the biggest mods are windsheilds and seats. and that is based on personal preference. find the best combo for comfort and wind stoppage. i too can't recommend this bike enough. you too will love it. if it goes that way for ya!

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
I think the one I'm looking at is pretty much all stock, only a corbin seat and maybe soft bags aftermarket. Trav, it's actually in VT near the NH border. I think I'll have to let this one slide, I don't have the money for it right now and I'm sure one will come along again when I do. Sweet bike though, I personally love the dual-touring look of the strom and bimmers.

I think I would fighter the strom, take the fairing off and slap an acerbis with numberplate and a high-mount dirty fender on the front of it, maybe longer travel forks up front for the true supermo look.

·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts