Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said in my intro thread I would post up a build. I just want throw out there that I have been riding a long time, but this is my first time really modifying anything on a bike or even working on one more than removing fairings/changing oil etc. So, if I seem a bit like a newb, its because I am!

So I started tearing the bike down with a master plan in mind. But, we all know that's not how it happened.

My plan was to tear the bike down including removing the wheels. Paint the tank rear fairings, and wheels, clean the body up, install the bar end mirrors, paint the headers and motor, re-install all the parts and be ready to rock.

Started with this -

Started tearing it down only to find i did not have the 27mm socket required to get the rear wheel off, or the 19mm allen head to get the front wheel off. Will have to work on those later this week and it works out since I'm changing my paint plans anyway.

Went ahead and did what I could, and laid down my first layer of white plastidip

While that dried I de-greased and cleaned the whole bike frame, motor, radiator, suspension etc. Lots of dirtiness and grime but no current leaks. Found LOTS of electronics unhooked but everything seems to work perfectly fine.

Went to install the Ebay Chinese bar end mirrors that you can buy for 18 bucks. They are for 7/8th bars withOUT inserts in them. They go inside the handle bar, and compress outward to hold in place. But, the Triumph has bungs for mounting bar ends welded into the clip ons, so that wasn't going to work. I ended up buying a couple of 6mm screws to put through the bar end mounting point, and threw out the junky inner mount clips, and just threaded the 6mm bolt through the mount into the stock bar end mounting hole.

Forgot the before pics but I taped off and started painting on headers and motor with 2000 degree paint.

Then this happened..

The white just was not working. It was already dirty as shit and I hadn't even installed it yet, so I decided to cut my losses and go a different direction with the paint. And, since I cant get the wheels off until tomorrow evening, I'm going to rethink my entire strategy. I don't know if I will try black plastidip like I had originally intended, or what and get it paint for a few more bucks. I'm leaning towards paint right now, since I'm a bit down on my plastidip experiment.

Motor and header paint is all done. I feel like the swingarm is out of place being silver, so when the back wheel comes off that's going to have to be painted black too. I'm also debating on whether to do the same to the forks.

I also went ahead and cleaned up all the wiring. I ran the wiring for the rear tail flush in the subframe, and zip tied and arranged the tons of wires that are on the front end. I still can't get the headlight running the way I want, I can basically hook up any and all of the 3 bulbs in it to the high beam and have it work, if I hook them to what I think is the low beam nothing works so, I am a bit stumped, as I would like for all of it to work.

Going forward I have levers that should be here tomorrow, need to get those wheels off, get the swingarm (and maybe forks?) painted, and figure out what my strategy is going to be with the body and wheels, since I have found out I suck at plastidipping, I probably suck at painting too.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Does the bike have two relays for the headlight? One for low beam running light and the other for high beam? That's the way my bike is any ways.

And subscribed...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the bike have two relays for the headlight? One for low beam running light and the other for high beam? That's the way my bike is any ways.

And subscribed...
It does. It seems like the low relay does not work at all, and tracing it back, looks like its all intact. I can use the ground in the low beam relay together with the power on the high bream and it works as a high beam that way as well.

There are other plugs all over the bike that are not plugged in though, and I don't know where to start.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
im in here as well! yerra worker and its gonna go good I reckon mate ;) Dump that plastydip and do paint all tha way .

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Oh I almost fergot REPPPPPPP!

Look at all then nice green knucks ya got under yer avi now :D

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Are the two relays the same?
Could you switch the high relay with the low to see if the relay is problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the two relays the same?
Could you switch the high relay with the low to see if the relay is problem?
I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe we are talking about 2 different things.

Right now I have 2 plugs, one plug goes to the high one to the low on the stock headlight.

The high plug power and ground works, and I know the low beam plug ground works, but i cannot get anything to come on when my selector is in low beam position.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like it, this "should" help. Someone labeled what relay it what in the one picture, so take a look and compare to what color wires you have and see.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/241110-relays-in-front-fairing.html

I'm pretty sure the two headlight relays are the same, but take a look at the numbers and if they match switch location.
Yep that looks right. The 4 relays mounted on the subframe go to the front lights, ill just have to get home and figure it out and put a known good one and see if I can get it to light up~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have decided I will wait a month or two on paint and just have it painted right.

Still going to pull off the rear wheel tonight and get that swingarm painted up. Also debating on pulling off the rearsets and painting them as well. Just gonna get this thing murdered out like I had planned.

Now I need a name...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got around to finishing up with my freshening up of the bike.

Pulled the rear wheel off and got the Swing arm painted up. You can see I covered the rear stand so they didn't get any paint or overspray on them, and then when I was all done and the wheel was back on I touched up the 2 spots where the rearstand blocked the paint from landing.

While the paint dried I went ahead and installed my new shorty levers. The clutch pull on these Triumphs is notoriously long and stiff, and the new clutch lever made a WORLD of difference since it was about 2 1/2 inches closer to grab, since the old one was bent outwards from seeing the ground somewhere in this bikes previous life.

Old levers:

New levers:

Put her back together. Had a little hiccup the first time around when I tightened the axle the wheel was frozen. OOPS! Found a small spacer laying under the rear stand, so had to take the axle back out and install it correctly.

Because I changed my plan on painting, I decided to put her all the way back together and take her for a spin to see how my first wheel dismount went. Turns out the bike rides beautifully, looks better, is all cleaned up, and got a bunch of bits and bobs installed so I am happy in the direction its going.

Left to do is get plastics, wheels, and forks painted, as well as get a front fender, and a rear hugger. Also need to figure out where my fuel gauge sensor plugs in, since I always have a low fuel light now, and I know it was plugged in when I took the tank off.

Still have not figured out the light, and am a bit frustrated with it, but I do have my single HID high beam so that will have to do for now.

Still more to come on this thing, and I'm still well under the budget I set out to stay under.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the bike out Tuesday and did a couple hundred miles, everything seems to be kosher except I didn't plug back in the fuel level sensor, so it always shows low fuel light. I will have to pull plastics again and work on that this weekend. Other than that its actually a pretty damn sporty bike for being an older big body.

Next up is paint, but in the meantime I'm going to keep an eye out for ideas for a new tail. I'm not sure I like the tail/seat the way it sits, and I'm wondering if any tail fairing or fairing/subframe is a direct bolt on. I think an older speed triple tail might work, but honestly due to the rarity of the older ones and price I might be out on that. I need to find something I can pick up crashed for cheap that fits, or that I can make work, definitely open to ideas on the tail.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I really think this bike is a good candidate for a buell XB seat! Bad ass seat but the major hurdle, in my opinion, with them is the way they come into the gas tank. On most bikes it would cause a little bit of grief, but if you look at your's the tail plastics actually mimic the shape of that seat near enough perfect. Here is a pic to get an idea of what I'm talking about. You could get that angled front part of the seat under your tank like how the plastics look and it would have a nice aggressive angle to it... I think :D

The "subframe" is super funky on those bikes and you'd most likely have to build your own, but that isn't all too bad of a job...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would look good on the bike I think, but to be honest, I am nowhere near ready to build my own subframe lol!

I was thinking like a 2000 r1 tail, or the 1st gen 636 tail. I will likely end up with whatever I can score cheap or free and see what I can do with it from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts