Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in my 400 thread that I had bought this bike. Now I bought it blind and it was delivered to Inverness for me and I drove down to pick it up. Now the intention with this bike was to do a few jobs on it and get it ready for the mot test (how wrong was I) there's so many niggling little jobs on it I've lost count and in truth I'm a bit gutted because its gonna take a lot off work before I sit my bike test if it is to be ready for me to use. The first thing I did when I got it was connect a battery and make sure it was turning over ok. That went well so I jacked it up and dropped the oil and that's where the problems started. The engine was full of water and creamy sludge. I've since flushed it out twice with used oil but I can't get the sludge to disappear. I'm gonna do it one more time this time removing and cleaning the oil filter before I do before I decide if I'm gonna remove the engine for a rebuild. There's loads of other little jobs but nothing major compared to the engine problems. On the plus side its got usd forks billet yokes huge front brakes with bandit 1200 wheel and its had a tail swap so not all bad. If any one can suggest anything to diagnose my engine problem that would be really helpful. Here's some pics for ya just now.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That sucks did the seller say anything about the problems when you bought it? And the swingarm looks like a srad swingarm with couple extra prices welded on looks cool

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
And the swingarm looks like a srad swingarm with couple extra prices welded on
It's a stock 750W arm, just like it came with from the factory.

Before completely tearing down the engine, see if you can't just drop the oil pan and clean all the sludge from the bottom end that way.

Later, Doug

Reactions: Jackstand Johnny

·
Registered
25 Posts
flush the engine with kerosene....get it clean .....you said it turned over and sounded like it had compression? just clean the carbs and chane the plugs and get some fresh fuel in there and see what it does first.
nice ride!!:knucks:

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had her running guys wasn't running on cylinder 4 but I traced this back to a split gasket on the float bowl. But when I revved it it did kick in. Engine appears to be running sweet. Seller was completely honest with me he bought it blind like me and never did anything with it. He sold it to me cause he got another bike he did supply me with about 8 people's contact details should I decide to sell and if I broke it I would make double what I paid for the bike so not all bad. But I'm gonna give it the tlc it needs cause I love it ;)

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh well bad news went to fill up the coolant and thought it was taken to much water. Hadn't put the oil in yet opened the sump plug and all my water came flying out. Absolutely gutted so I suppose it's engine rebuild time. So the bike that wasn't supposed to be a project is now a project

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've come to terms that I probably ain't gonna get to use this bike this year. Never mind what it does mean is when I eventually get it on the road it will be awesome ;) so I've been stripping the bike down and have also been looking for a new engine incase this one is totally fucked as everything is pointing towards a cracked water way. Been working at getting the engine and loom out as the both need rebuilt. One a brighter note I passed my first part of my bike test yesterday so was happy about that :) here's some pics as to where it is now

Engine is just on its mounts now so will be getting that out tomorrow. My mate is gonna paint the tank and plastics so colour change will be happening. Bike update on Monday

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I've never seen a stock swingarm like that I like it. That sucks about the engine. Good luck tearing her open

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm really happy with the swing arm before I bought the bike I thought it was a srad item. It's been properly modded aswell to accept the bandit 12 rear wheel and spindle setup.

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally caught a bit of luck with the engine on this. I've been changing my workshop this week cause it was a mess also I had a small shed in my garden that I figured would make a perfect store so I fixed that up like new aswell. So I finally got the engine out of the bike and removed the cam cover and found one of the core/frost plugs in the head. A quick inspection found that 2 had come out thus explaining the water leaking into the sump huge relief for me. I removed the sump and the pick up pipe was pretty dirty. My bottom casing has some damage so I will still be stripping the engine down to swap into the new casings I got cheap on eBay. I figure the engine has had a fair amount of abuse so a total overhaul won't hurt it. I also had some tophat spacers made for my top yoke as the old ones had worn away a bit and wasn't clamping the forks. My mate is gonna paint the bike for me and all I have to do is buy the paint so this bike might see the road soon yet

My revamped workshop

Wear on forks from old spacers

New ones machined and fitted guy came to my workshop to measure these up and came back within 4 hours with my new ones

One of the missing plugs causing the leak

Had to have a look behind the other casings

Tomorrows job make a start on the wiring

And need to finish stripping down the frame to get it sent out to powder coat. It will be going satin black and the swing arm will be getting polished

Updates will be a plenty from here on in

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carried on with my engine strip down. Although everything seems good internally the engine is really dirty inside. So this rebuild is really needed

Head with cams removed

Valves are really coked up

Bores are all in perfect condition

Pistons again a lot of cleaning required

Due back offshore on Wednesday so work will stop for a couple of weeks but hoping to get a bit done tomorrow

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I have done loads but my photo bucket app ain't working at the moment so can't upload pics. The engine is totally stripped and already to be swapped into the new bottom cases will be on that as soon as I get my new gaskets. My head is still off getting new core plugs should have that back soon. My wife got me an mt03 headlight for my bday will be getting my brackets machined for them. Never liked the zx6r tail so when a k6 complete tail and subframe came up I jumped on it. Getting adaptor plates machined for them so it's still a bolt on part. Will post pics when I get this problem sorted

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's some pics from the last up date. Just a few of the engine strip down

Also broke a Allen key and got the bit stuck in one of my crank bolts. After trying all sorts of things I ended up arking a welding rod on it at low amps and managed to pull it out

And my my bikes new ass
Picking it up in the morning

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because this bikes so far off I had to get myself something to run about on. This diversion came up real cheap at the local bike shop so I had to buy it. Really nice bike to ride but the front brakes are shit so upgrade on the cards. Apart from that I love it so great finally being let lose on a proper bike

·
2,779 Posts
congratulations on passing ya test......

And welcome to the wonderfull world of bike collecting:LolLolLolLol:

Reactions: nemo
1 - 20 of 48 Posts