Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike originally started its life looking like this fugly ol' 1998 XR650L
It was completely stock when I got it, ridden 6400 miles by a 320lb new rider. I bought it one month before my 17th birthday.

Then it turned into this...

Rode it like that for awhile off road while I was riding and building my 04 FZ1 fighter.

Now I have modified the subframe to accept 2002-2006 CR250R plastics and seat. This requires a custom fuel tank to accept the rad shrouds.

Here is my first attempt at a fiberglass/plastic tank

too heavy and the capacity sucked, so I ditched that idea and got some plans from a dutchman who had done the same thing to his 89 xr600r

Progress of the aluminum tank that I made tonight.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Modifications include:

Big Gun slip-on
Smog shit removed and blocked off by me
Eibach heavier springs front and rear
Ricky Carmichael Protapers off my FZ1
Custom barmount mirror
Acerbis knockoff headlight
battery box is history
airbox is history
fab'd up my own metal battery box
keihin FCR41-MX carb
clamp on airfilter and 2in hose thingy I got at the hardware store today
led taillight
trailtech vapor computer
maltese cross crankcase breather from autoparts store West Coast style hahaha
Also wrapped the shock resivor and starter with monster energy drink cans (The assault camo version)
Made my own seat cover (all black of course)
SS rear brake line
an oilcooler off a 400ex
braced frame
frame is 2004 GM dark spiral metallic in color

As soon as I get my check from the insurance company it is going to get the following:

17" black excell rims laced to gold talon hubs with SS heavy duty spokes
Conti SM tires
Braking 320MM wave front rotor
Braking rear wave rotor
Braking 4 piston front race caliper
a SM front fender
a throttle housing and tube off ebay for the new single pull carb
larger diameter header
hotcam

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Dude..nice work. I wish I could do metal work like that. I need to get a welder and take a class sometime. I did have some welding ecumacation back in high school...but it was just stick welding using an electric arc welder. Of course, I was un sticking my rod to the metal more often than I was actually laying down beads. :(

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude..nice work. I wish I could do metal work like that. I need to get a welder and take a class sometime. I did have some welding ecumacation back in high school...but it was just stick welding using an electric arc welder. Of course, I was un sticking my rod to the metal more often than I was actually laying down beads. :(
Thanks! But that finished tank isn't mine, it will look just like it when it is finished though. I don't have the ability to weld aluminum so I've got to take it somewhere to have it done.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Thanks! But that finished tank isn't mine, it will look just like it when it is finished though. I don't have the ability to weld aluminum so I've got to take it somewhere to have it done.
yeah, I knew that one wasn't your's, but figured you were gonna weld your's and it would look like that too. Still cool, non the less.

If I had a welder, a waterjet, a PC oven, and a sand blasting set up, I would rule the world. LOL

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I knew that one wasn't your's, but figured you were gonna weld your's and it would look like that too. Still cool, non the less.

If I had a welder, a waterjet, a PC oven, and a sand blasting set up, I would rule the world. LOL
I am pretty sure I could accomplish anything with the right tools as well. It's probably a good thing that you and me both lack the funding to take over. lol

The task of cutting out the metal would have been so much easier with a waterjet or something besides my jigsaw. It got the job done....kinda.. I'll be filing for hours and hours.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I use a jigsaw to cut out my custom plate holders as well. I then use a dremmel to go back and smooth out the saw lines. A waterjet would make my life so much easier. :D

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
You guys are crazy! What fun is it to build something when you have the right tools? That would take away hours of fucking shit up, cursing, trying to figure out how to make a tool or rig something up and throwing all of the tools around in your work space when you can't figure out how to do it. Man, you guys sound like a bunch of pussies. :D

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
You guys are crazy! What fun is it to build something when you have the right tools? That would take away hours of fucking shit up, cursing, trying to figure out how to make a tool or rig something up and throwing all of the tools around in your work space when you can't figure out how to do it. Man, you guys sound like a bunch of pussies. :D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:skrooz:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:LolLolLolLol:

We're just saying IF!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well this project will be delayed indefinitely. I am sure some of you will be bummed out not to see it get completed.
I am still waiting on my $2500 insurance check which I was going to use part of to get my wheels and brakes. But I won't be able to spend any of that now. So far this has been a horrible summer for me. My beloved custom FZ1 was totalled, my girlfriend, who I was madly in love with, dumped me just recently for no good reason, and this morning I was denied some time off from work (i work for my parents) that was already agreed on so I could meet with my professor for my independent study, so I quit. Now I think they are kicking me out of the house.

AND I missed out on the party!

It royally sucks, I wish I was going overseas next month instead of March.
Anyways, I probably won't be on much anymore, because I'll be too tempted.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts