Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:honda::thumbsup:
Hey guys and girls! Good ta seeya! Lol

So this is my little build thread. As you can see from the pics the bike was already headed in the direction of nakedness for awhile already......I just decided to finish the job.:robssmilie:

Here we go.....this is how we started about 1-2 years ago when I did some mild custom work after removing the side fairings and making it a basic 1/2 naked bike like VTR1000, SV650s etc etc

Now onto the past 3 weeks.

I started by removing all of the nasty front fairings etc. This was a pain in the A** but not worth writing a novel on:

Once that was done I got down to the real nasty stuff:
#1 My factory front bank ignition coils
#2 Fabbed bracket mount with one bolt and two zip ties. Definitely not going anywhere.

#3 Had to make a new bracket for the oil cooler since the subframe is gone. Dremel, titanium bits, and a galvanized brace worked well

#4 I bought a wire loom holder kit from Pep Boys since its metal and maleable. Bent them in arcs so the stanchions would clear when turning the wheel
#5 Hard to see, but theres now a diagonal cross member making a nice bolt triangle with the loom brackets and the oil cooler brace. Mucho tougho.
#5.5 This is a fail...I got the bracket to go into the side of the fuze box holder but later put the X on that plan.

#6 Started customizing rubber boots (shock boots) to provide a water resistant rubber shroud for the wires.....taking shape

#7 Got the rubber boots secured on the loom as tight as possible using small rubber cuts.
#8 Added extra new electrical tape on certain exposed parts of the harnesses. Layed them back and forth and secured them in a manner that was permanent and not too stressfull on the wires and junctions. Starting to look like that blue ladys head in the Star Wars bar scene...lol

#9 Going to likely pick up another set of the boots since they worked great to cover this final area once everythings wired. I will then be using some aircraft aluminum from my friend who is building a plane to cover this front area with a nice windflecting shroud. Should be SICK:shocker:

Mad Max.

Pretty angry stance shes got.:robssmilie:

SOOO there it is! I plan to put Dominator 2 projectors on it and run a true dual headlight since the VFR is made for it already. Should look pretty nasty. Hopefully soon followed by a Koso digital guage set!

Let me know what you think! :honda:

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting way of doing it.. Most people tuck all that wiring under the tank!
Yeah, i should have mentioned that my build goal was to not modify anything that couldnt be put back to stock if I one day need to sell or want fairings again. Ive never owned a totally naked bike before. I could probably make a killing off of parting the pieces out on ebay though...lol

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, you're not going to want to put on the original fairings once they're off. You're going to want to build ones yourself ;)
I can do brackets and stuff with my dremel cutting tools and a drill....but the subframe fabbing and the panel creating is above my current level as a builder..haha.

I saw a thread somewhere online with a guy who built a completely custom VFR 750 in blue. It looked showroom quality....i was speachless reading it......:remi:

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Did you mean rat fighter "look"? Cause those lights are nice.....
Yes, lights are good.. hide the wires and lower the lights. Just my opinion. I know there is a bunch of wires to move, but it should only be a one day project to shorten and lengthen wires where needed.

I have full race fairings on my vfr project but I'm still going to hide the wire and clean everything up when I put it up for the winter. Just make things look better. Especially with such a clean vfr that you got there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, lights are good.. hide the wires and lower the lights. Just my opinion. I know there is a bunch of wires to move, but it should only be a one day project to shorten and lengthen wires where needed.

I have full race fairings on my vfr project but I'm still going to hide the wire and clean everything up when I put it up for the winter. Just make things look better. Especially with such a clean vfr that you got there.

Damn you...now Im about to hack into it again because you've planted a brain seed. :CK187:

I'm pretty sure at this point having ridden it a few times that I am in fact NOT going to want to return it to stock. This was the only reason I did the wiring like that in the first place. Technically I can sell off some fairings and brackets and make a good bit of money if I want...I just feel like im commiting some sort of crime to the VFR......lol. It's just way more fun naked.

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sell them, that way there's no going back!!!! :thumbsup:
Looking good so far
Yeah.....I was thinking about that. Gen 4 VFR fairings command a pretty good price on ebay these days. I'd probably make 3-400 just in parts and brackets, although shipping it all out would be a pain.

I am actually almost done hiding the wires inside. I had to cut the intake snorkel, but other than that I managed to find room without having to do crazy mods to the factory harness. God knows how I pulled that off.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Yeah.....I was thinking about that. Gen 4 VFR fairings command a pretty good price on ebay these days. I'd probably make 3-400 just in parts and brackets, although shipping it all out would be a pain.

I am actually almost done hiding the wires inside. I had to cut the intake snorkel, but other than that I managed to find room without having to do crazy mods to the factory harness. God knows how I pulled that off.
Shipped a belly pan for around 15$ from my vfr. It's not that bad. There not to heavy.

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shipped a belly pan for around 15$ from my vfr. It's not that bad. There not to heavy.

Yeah I just posted a local craigslist add.....This way I can kindof 1/2 commit to the idea of my poor bodywork being gone...lol

On a side note, I've got most of my wiring tucked in front of the airbox now. Should I put a couple layers of aluminum foil over it before I put the gas tank on......I was kind of freaking myself out about the idea of all the wiring being underneath the gas tank... Is the insulation stuff honda put under the tank flame retardant or just sound/vibration retardant....?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Yeah I just posted a local craigslist add.....This way I can kindof 1/2 commit to the idea of my poor bodywork being gone...lol

On a side note, I've got most of my wiring tucked in front of the airbox now. Should I put a couple layers of aluminum foil over it before I put the gas tank on......I was kind of freaking myself out about the idea of all the wiring being underneath the gas tank... Is the insulation stuff honda put under the tank flame retardant or just sound/vibration retardant....?
Don't wrap any wires or connectors with aluminum foil, that will conduct current and not do you any good!
You could use some header wrap to keep heat away from the wires...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I don't know about that. On my drag cars I used to use aluminum foil to wrap my crank trigger wires to sheild them from any other electrical interference. Pretty common when routing low voltage wiring (12 v) along side of high voltage wiring (50,000 v / secondary coil voltage) . A lot.of.us did it actually. Wrap it with the foil then ground both ends.

Anyways, wiring will hold up to heat pretty well. Id keep it away from any exhaust components or the radiators, but just engine heat wont cause a problem. Think about all those wires that plug into sensors connected driectly to the engine.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hmmmm....
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know about that. On my drag cars I used to use aluminum foil to wrap my crank trigger wires to sheild them from any other electrical interference. Pretty common when routing low voltage wiring (12 v) along side of high voltage wiring (50,000 v / secondary coil voltage) . A lot.of.us did it actually. Wrap it with the foil then ground both ends.

Anyways, wiring will hold up to heat pretty well. Id keep it away from any exhaust components or the radiators, but just engine heat wont cause a problem. Think about all those wires that plug into sensors connected driectly to the engine.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Good to know. Given the build quality of the VFR's in general I would venture a guess that the fabric that lines the whole bottom of the gas tank is probably flame retardant in addition to sound dampening. I shall try to google it. The only things I guess I'd really wonder about are the ignition coils but they dont seem to get too hot, and they are actually screwed into the firewall panel right now. The only part of the engine that the wires are semi close to is the airbox and the very top of the carb assembly. I should be ok.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.