Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came home from work to find my bike totaled. neighbors friend accidentally hit my bike. it is significantly damaged:

both rearsets, exhaust, shift assembly, kickstand, side mounted license plate area, clutch lever, rear fairing damage, coolant overflow, side case scratches,ect the bike did have "lol custom ghost flames" lol but they still add up.

anyone ever deal with this before? Should his insurance cover it fully? I have a $500 deductible with my company, but it is his insurance that takes the bill right? do you think they will scrap it?

I put alot of work into this bike and it was my only running vehicle. I'm rebuilding my slingshot 750 asap and hope to have it running this weekend.

98+ zx9 is probably the best fighter platform ive worked with. the ergonomics, lightweight, fuel consumption, everything is 5 star. my only real issue was the ram air tuning.

pics tomorrow. its 1:30 am.

·
Premium Member
15,065 Posts
That sucks, yes your neighbor is fully responsible. Hope things work out.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he's offering to pay me without dealing with insurance. IE woodcraft rearsets, new exhaust, ect ect ect but I'm not doing anything without speaking to insurance first.

fired right up.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
as long as frame looks good, sounds to me like somebody is gonna be paying u to build a full on fighter now. everything gets priced as new units as insurance would do and he doesnt buy the part, cuts u a check for the amount. otherwise, fuck him, and insurance can handle it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
as long as frame looks good, sounds to me like somebody is gonna be paying u to build a full on fighter now. everything gets priced as new units as insurance would do and he doesnt buy the part, cuts u a check for the amount. otherwise, fuck him, and insurance can handle it.
Exactly my thoughts. Dealing without insurance goes both ways, Ive seen it go good and I've seen it go really bad. Definitely check the frame thoroughly. Other then that, people usually underestimate how much parts for a motorcycle cost. They look at the damage and rarely see how quickly the lil things add up. If hes good for it and they cut you the check then go for it. otherwise, like jelly said fuck him

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Dealing with insurance will be an uphill battle even if the guy that hit your bike admits fault. They will tell you to prove the worth, argue depreciated value, and will drag this thing out until you are frustrated and quit or are willing to settle for something less--this is their game.

Totally sucks.

Do you have receipts for all of the damaged goods--might be worth your while to have the repairs in terms of parts and labor quoted by a reputable shop, and have them pull like kind replacement values for the parts that are damaged. Do this with several shops and averge the numbers.

Itemize everything and don't waste any time...stay after them--persistence will pay off.

I hope you get made whole again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. Dealing without insurance goes both ways, Ive seen it go good and I've seen it go really bad. Definitely check the frame thoroughly. Other then that, people usually underestimate how much parts for a motorcycle cost. They look at the damage and rarely see how quickly the lil things add up. If hes good for it and they cut you the check then go for it. otherwise, like jelly said fuck him
Agreed, as well. First thing is first, check the frame like they said, then make a list of everything you'll need to buy to make it new again, then get the price for it all, maybe add some labor cost for yourself, and then give him the final price.

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
in these types of incidents its been my experience, you'll never quite be made whole again...sucks but that can be the reality of it.

With that, as long as the frame is good, you might have to eat the labor, and take what they are willing to pay.

Do some quick math of just the goods that were damaged collect the costs/recipts to show the dude who wants to settle up, if the frame is good, solid, and the guy that hit you will pay for your parts, take it and move on.

If that guy wont pay for all of the items you are out, THEN get insurance involved but be prepared to hang in and fight.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
That does suck. As far as the modifications you made, unless they were declared as being on the bike when you insured it, they might not be covered, just a heads-up. If you can prove that buying you new Woodcrafts will be less expensive than OEM items though, they might be willing to work with you.

Just remember that it's a game to be played like anything else, and keep from getting frustrated. I've found from my interactions with adjusters on the backend of things when I was renting cars, they're usually willing to work with you if you're willing to work with them. Be firm and reasonable in what you want and they're more than willing to help you out. They're so used to scammers and bottom-feeders that a polite, honest person is a breath of fresh air.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
WTF!

saw his fookin gas pedal leg rite OF!

I am feelin real bad fer ya mate,truth is tho he gotta make things rite eather outta pocket or insurance dues .Geussin that he dont wanna skyrocket his premiums by a claim ~i hava few bits and bobs here offa me 2000ZX9R if ya get stuck OK ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Usually when someone wants to settle on the spot, not get the police or insurance involved, it's because they don't have insurance or something to hide from the cops...i.e suspended license, warrant, ect. Give him a fair estimate to fix it, and don't count your time/labor as free. If he pays, great. But somehow I don't see someone just handing you several thousand dollars.

If you report it to your insurance (and give them his name, license plate, ect), they'll send an adjuster to look at your bike. If you have progressive (you should), they give you up to $3000 in aftermarket accessory value as standard plus whatever book value is, less your deductible.

If your insurance has an admission of fault, or a police report assigning fault (though a lot of states have "no fault" insurance which is total bullshit), they can try to subrogate to his insurance....essentially get his insurance to pay back what they paid you. If this is successful you usually get your deductible back, but it can take months.

Still, insurance would almost certainly total it. You'd either take the book+ aftermarket value as a check and move on, or buy it back for like 10% of that, and take a salvage title.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have collision. Neither does he.

Adjuster never called me back so I'm waiting to hear back from both of them.

I'll settle for a danoexhaust (had micron from like 1998 on there haha) some good rearsets and HE pays for my rejetting at my buddys shop.

gotta say, my neighbor is pretty standup about paying outta pocket. hopefully he walks the walk not just talks the talk.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Hope it works out for you.

I paid out of pocket once when I was at fault in a lil parking lot fender bender. I wasn't hiding anything, just didn't want my premium to go up and my driving record is still spotless. I had a truck with massive tires (teenager....) and I wasn't even moving. Turned my steering wheel and shoved a Super Swamper bogger right in to their driver's side fender. Crunched it right good. I handed the guy $500 cash on the spot and my info. He never called back. Probably kept the dented fender,but it's all good. My insurance is still cheap. :D

Good luck and sorry about your bike. I'm pretty sure I'd just cry if someone pancaked my CB like that.

·
Operation Sketchy At Best
2,237 Posts
I dont trust people so just saying yea ill pay for it is a big statement considering a few parts can go over 1k pretty quickly. But flip side a custom bike you could get dicked over by the ins company.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I would go the insurance route... As stated above not many people just have that kind of money to hand out. Whichever you decide make sure you get it all at once and dont accept incremental payments. Say this is my price and i need it all at once or it's going to claim.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
adjuster is coming to my house monday. this guys insurance is going to cover it.

i hope they pay fair. something about 80% of market value or something.

Ive got 32k and no fairings.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
7/2 and bikes still here lol. kinda stressing how they view the fact that my bike does not have fairings on it. if they deduct the cost of oem fairings (LOL ALOT) I will be ruined.

anyone know anything about registering a salvage title in vermont?

vermont dmv doesn't require you to be a resident to register a vehicle.

I'd have a PA salvage title if i decide to buy my zx9 back (in the year 3000 once this is settled, that is IF ALSO)

figure i'd give a shot on here before i email the dmv directly.

·
1,533 Posts
you say you hope like you have no avenue of recourse if they try to fuck with you.

you fucking jaggofs need to learn your fucking rights, and how to lawyer the fuck up.

if he acts like a ****** be like thanks but no thanks, get the fuck off my property, youll be hearing from my attorney.

also, video tape him, THE ENTIRE time he is their. you dont need his consent, its your property. do NOT tell him. hold your phone in your hand, with the brightness turned ALL the way down, and make sure you have plenty of space. turn calls off so they dont interupt. record record record. get him talkin, especially if he acts like an asshole. people break the law all the time. go hard on those assholes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts