Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run the Continental Road Attack tyres on my GS500E, but I have a problem.
The smallest rear size they make is a 150, while the stock rear is a 130. I have heard and seen that a 150 can be fitted if you modify or replace the rear brake arm - I think I've read that a Bandit arm can do the job?

First off, can anyone tell me the correct name for the part? It's the link arm that attaches to the frame near the swingarm pivot, and the other end mounts to the brake caliper.

Second, what is the best option? modify or replace? If replace, what's the best replacement?

Third, if replacement, has anyone here got an arm that I could blag for a decent price?
(I'm in Wales, UK, so needs to be from this side of the pond really)

All assistance welcome!

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I betya can modify yer existing one witha wee bend or such.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You should also be able to fit a wheel from a Bandit 400, or a 4.5 inch wheel from a Bandit600/RF600/GSXR750J/K which will allow a 160 tyre to be used. An RGV250 wheel should also fit, and a GSXR400 Slingshot which should be the same as Bandit 400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't really got access to any tools that (ought) to be able to bend it :( but I can ask my friendly local garage if they can help out. If I bend it to fit, would it cause problems by moving the usual location of the caliper?

Also, would it be absolutely necessary to fit a new wheel for a 150? I know the results of fitting a tyre that's too wide for the rim, I just don't know the max size that you can fit on a stock wheel.

I know these are really daft questions, but I need to learn sometime!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
no it wont cause a problem as long as the mounts on it are in the same orientation as they were before. it will just rotate the caliper forward. i suppose if you bend the arm too much you could run into problems with the brake hitting the swing arm

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
If you go for a 150 on your stock rim it might be fine... but it might pinch the tyre too tight, giving horrible handling and causing the centre to wear out and square off very quickly. If you come to have an accident and the bike gets inspected, it may also be picked up on.

If MD is right and you can fit a different rim on easily, then hop to it.

You should also be able to fit a wheel from a Bandit 400, or a 4.5 inch wheel from a Bandit600/RF600/GSXR750J/K which will allow a 160 tyre to be used. An RGV250 wheel should also fit, and a GSXR400 Slingshot which should be the same as Bandit 400.
All these wheels will be available for pennies on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-BANDI...30?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4abc61fbaa

£30 with sprocket, carrier and disc in case yours don't fit. MD will be along with more info I'm sure. What he doesn't know about Suzuki interchangeability isn't known or isn't worth knowing..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts