Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I'd have a go with my first build.

Done some work so far which is listed in here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126425

The plan is to put together a sort of cafe fighter. I think? You'll get the picture anyway, I'm making it up as I go along, based on the finished result I have in my head somewhere.

Don't expect masterful fabrication and wank-worthy machining though :D

Proof of date and current condition:

Got a nice clear day today, and yesterday I got my tail loop and cut some steel tubing for the subframe and seat frame. Will have a taped-together mock up shortly!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Managed to get some work done. Got my tail loop and lengths of steel tubing in the post yesterday so taped together the model as it'll be on the bike.

Fitted my new indicators into the headlight clamps and also lowered them a bit. Still waiting on spacers getting made up so the headlight will stop spinning about!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got stuck into one of the side fairings from the bike; I couldn't decide whether to try a belly pan or not. Suppose the only way I'd find out was by whipping the dremel out:

Still needs plenty of work but at least it gives me an idea. Will do the other side tomorrow and see how it looks.

Not sure on the length but I can always cut more off. Better than trying to add more on :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the subframe top loop welded together (but not to the bike) yesterday...

Also had a go at the nearside belly pan. Still not convinced but I'll get a proper look when I get the bike out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've been trying to put in at least a little work in every evening as when it gets cold in the winter, I have a tendency to sit on my arse and do fuck all for extended periods of time.

So, I got the subframe and supports tacked up ready for a proper welder to weld them properly :D

It's only to hold it in place, but it does support my weight. Well this attempt does. There was a rather amusing attempt to sit on it where I almost lost a ball when the tacks broke :D

I also fitted my newly machined nylon spacers, and finished wiring in the headlight and stashing all the plugs into the headlight bowl:

Then today I cut the tank rear brace from the standard subframe and welded it to the new one.

I'm no great shakes at welding, but thought I'd give it a go as it's not a massively structural part of the bike. It's not the sexiest but it's plenty strong enough:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've been doing little bits and pieces in the evenings. Got my seat loop in the post which will act as the seat pan backing and also a mount for whatever I end up bashing together for a tail section.

Figuring out how to notch the tubing to sit halfway neatly was bloody hard. Never tried anything like that before but was good to learn.

Now on the bike. Sorry about the poor lighting:

And now with my proprietary custom-made cardboard-fibre seat pan!

I know what I'm doing with the seat base but if anybody has tips for making a seat pad I'd be grateful. I know layering closed-cell foam then shaping it with the grinder is a good method but I'd like to not end every journey with a broken arse!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some work done today on my day off. Was meant to be sorting the back brakes on the car but was rained off and consigned to the garage. Suits me fine!

Made the seat pan out of some mild steel sheet. Slightly stronger than cardboard (fibre)! Will make up some cross braces for the subframe to mount it once the main welding work has been done on the frame.

Think I'll go out later on and mount some wood strips or something for stapling/screwing the seat cover to once it's on.

Don't you fucking dare zoom in on that welding :D it's pretty grody.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I needed a couple of mounts for the seat pan and also to provide a wee bit of bracing. So I noticed there were a couple of mounts left on the stock sub frame. Waste not want not!

That's the frame all fully welded up. Just need to do a bit of grinding.

Also mounted the pan. Just need to stick some foam strips between it and the frame:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been doing more little bits and pieces. Trying to mentally put off the more involved work while I try to figure out how best to hide my wiring and the ECU, plugs etc.
Gave the seat pan a paint and stuck some foam and trim edge stuff on the underside to protect it a bit:

My new lithium battery arrived today so I cut a template for the underside of the tail and say the battery in. It'll fit nice, as will the starter relay, but I think that's all!

Made up new battery cables as well. Here's how it sits, with a custom seat that definitely isn't a towel I chored from the bathroom:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chopped some more plate tonight and bent it roughly to shape. It's close but needs a little tweak yet:

Cut another bit for a flat surface for the battery to sit on. What do you know, I just used the same template from the tank mount cover on the seat pan!

Need to rig up some sort of battery tie down, but here it is in place:

And here's how it'll sit til I manage to bend it perfect. If it doesn't, I'll just ride about with the clamps on. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a few more bits and pieces done.
Made a little bracket for the tail light/number plate/indicator assembly:

Welded the battery tray/undertray panel thing onto the frame, "and lo, I ground the welds for forty days and forty nights."

Ran out of my 0.8mm welding wire and had to use the 0.6 stuff. Didn't think there'd be much different but fucking hell, I couldn't make it do anything! Managed to tack on the number plate bracket though. Pictures aren't too clear but I think it'll do:

As the rear sits with the battery shelf. Will scheme some method of tying the battery down and running cables in there this weekend.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fucking hell, it's been over a month already! Bit of a combined update from the shit I've done over the last few weeks.

I've been doing bits and pieces here and there. Had a few weeks off where I sat on my arse playing Nintendo or went out drinking. Was a nice chilled christmas break! The bike sat in the garage like so:

I made a couple of little tabs to mount the R/R and welded them to the frame:

And the subframe was pretty much done as far as fab work goes. Once the bike is stripped for paint/powdercoat I'll tidy up the welds and any rough edges.

A couple of weeks ago I bodged together a rough seat out of chopped up yoga mat and a memory foam office chair/ass pad:

I pre drilled the seat pan for some self tappers and made a masking tape template to draw out on vinyl (pinched that idea from some guy's YouTube video, worked a treat). I then cut the shapes out of the vinyl and sent them over to my gran, who stitched me up a seat cover :D this is a WIP photo but it's almost done now:

Fast forward to today and I finally got the worst of the wiring done. I've been working my way through the loom and I've only a couple of plugs and the earth wires left to shorten now:

After that I chopped down the exhaust for a stubby!

I actually made a pretty botched job of it but once the bands were riveted back on it didn't look too bad. Here's the mock up for where it'll sit, if this photo makes sense:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hanged the silencer last night. Pleased with how it sits, although it might end up a bit close to my heel when riding...I did test it with one boot on so it should be OK though.

Beginning to look more like a bike now! Although I keep thinking it looks wrong at the back, cause it's on the centre stand with the shock off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't happy with how the chopped up fairings looked, so I caved in and ordered a fibreglass belly pan from a CBR900 after reading somewhere it would fit. Well, it did fit...eventually! Had to make up some extremely ghetto brackets but I'm super happy with how it sits now.

Excuse the photos, only the front-facing camera works on my phone just now so all my photos from now on will be pretty grainy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So my phone camera is still being a total bag of shit so I only managed a couple of photos today.
Had a day off work so spent the afternoon finishing the wiring harness. That's it almost finished apart from a couple of plugs needing shortened.

I fitted the new battery and turned the ignition on; everything seemed to work ok like indicators, headlight, brake light and the warning lights.

The only things I found a bit iffy were that the indicator warning light didn't flash on and off with the lamp - it kind of just pulsed between dim and bright. Also, when I honked the horn to test it, the digital speedo jumped up a bit. Any ideas what these could be? I'm glad it's only niggles after so much wire chopping and not a flash bang or something :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have power!

The speedo issue turned out to be interference from the horn. I'd earthed the gauge together with a whole load of other shit. I ran a separate earth from the gauge & sensor plug to a different point on the frame and now I can toot away without the speedometer being a shit :D

Got the battery strapped down and everything plugged in. Still to grind down the seat foam (attempt no. 2) and wrap it, will get on it this weekend.
Hoping to fire it up tomorrow, everything is plugged in and ready to test!

Sorry for the potato cam shots. I need to bin this iPhone and buy an actual camera...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a couple of better photos today showing the routing of my wiring, now with the battery strapped in.

This was shortly before pulling most of it out trying to find why I wasn't getting any power or spark whatsoever. In my excitement (and naïveté) I figured "well, the lights all work and the gauge comes on. The bike will obviously fire up first turn of the key." And I reassembled everything; tank, fuel lines, seat etc. Had to whip it all apart 10 minutes later :D what a twat

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wrapped my handlebars last night. Used a couple of layers of packing foam, double sided tape and some thin square leather lace wrapped round. Forgot about the throttle tube though, so I might need to wrap another layer around the nearside:

Finally managed to get it fired up the other day after goofing about with fuel lines and a pinched vacuum hose at the weekend. Sounds hilarious without the silencer on, will try to get a video sometime

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced a mass of tape and crimps with some proper connectors up in the tail section. Didn't get a photo though.
Finished the seat!

It's a bit of a hack job, I've never been any good at upholstery/vinyl wrap/covering stuff like that. I kinda like it though! Even if it doesn't meet the tank and leaves big gaps at the front :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts