Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I couldn't wait any longer. I tightened everything back up and took it round the street to make sure everything worked. I shouldn't have, given the state of the local roads and all the bare metal without a rear hugger, but...

The verdict:

Going from a wee GS500 to this, holy shit :D I cannot wait to get this thing road legal again!

Borrowed my dads phone for the working camera:
*EDIT: Also chopped the front mudguard a bit. Not finished yet but that's the rough shape*

If anybody reading can photoshop some colour schemes for me, I'd be eternally grateful. I need to get a list written for taking to the powdercoaters and I can't decide what colour to go for the frame, body etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Action shot from the mini road test the other day:

Tonight I finished mounting the rear hugger I cobbled together from the old giant super space dildo hugger. Looks a wee bit out of place but it'll stop too much shit flying into the R/R hopefully.

Carried out some pikey engineering to repair my front mudguard as well:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I'm trying to continue my run of getting a little bit done every evening.
Flat bar chain guard half-mounted:

Wasn't sure what I was going to do until I had another read through Vikrant's Airbender build. Mine is just aluminium rather than stainless, and not nearly as pro, but should work ok.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally got a new phone! Dual rear camera too. My welds have never looked so bad :D

Custom pro spray booth

Belly pan and hugger brackets getting some red oxide goodness.

New indicators on (broken wires on the 'old' ones)

Weather had picked up awesomely in the afternoon so I'm hoping to go for a blast tomorrow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I've had the bike out a couple of times now and I fucking love it. Going to see about getting a stainless link pipe made so I can run a silencer and maybe attract slightly less attention!

Gave the belly pan a couple of coats of paint the other evening. Didn't plan on painting it red or even at all just yet but figured it would make the bike look slightly less ghetto:

This should wet sand out, right? I think the heat gun just blew all the paint floating around into my wet paint.

First fresh fuel since August!

Discovered that my indicators only flash when the engine isn't running. When the engine is running, they just stay on when switched. Any ideas?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've been busy working on the car so haven't been doing much with the bike, but had a few things sorted this week. Got my link pipe welded together, fitted the belly pan and rode it when the weather wasn't shitty.
The red on the belly pan isn't the right shade, but it's closer than I thought it'd be.

I'm toying with the idea of a headlight fairing of some kind. Something kinda old school, like the curved ones you see on old Ducatis and cafe racers? Not sure how it would look, might pop a pic in the Photoshop requests section.

Which brings us to today. Had a full day of summer, probably the best weather since I started riding! Had an awesome run on the B roads getting to grips with the CBR.
You can see the project car in the background too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, shit, I've not been on here in a while! In my defence, we've had a rare Scottish summer a bit early, and I've been doing some road testing (read: not finishing the bike).

It rides great but the seat and tail section could do with being a bit shorter.

That'll be me until the deadline I think. Unless I can mount my new lights by the end of May. Picked this up for a steal as well but will be a long time before I figure out how to mount it up. I think my subframe will need a hell of a lot more bracing if the shock mount moves under it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So the CBR has sat a couple of years unloved! Got some new parts today to get it back on the road and change the look. A 600RR swing arm should be a nice project for me to wedge in there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I rearranged the bikes and got the CBR on the stand. I really need to make a bench for in here...

Got the back end off and got the 600rr arm out the box for a quick comparison.

After reading a few posts about this swap, it seems like I can get away with chopping a bit off on the one side?

If I do chop one side of the arm, I'm not sure what happens with the bearings? Will I have to press them further into the mount?

And finally, I found an old 900rr wheel in the corner that matches the width of a 600rr wheel and should let me run a chungus rear tyre.
The 900 and F3 spindles are 20mm whereas the 600rr uses a 25mm one. What's the best practice when changing swing arms? Different wheel bearings, or reducing bushes in the chain adjuster blocks?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to keep myself right. This is my first swing arm swap!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Picked the new arm up from the machine shop today. Will fit the new bearings and get spacers made in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Pressed new bearings in tonight and mocked up the shock and linkage. Missing the proper bolts but just having a look at how it all lines up.

Still need to figure the lower linkage mounts but I just used the centre stand brackets for now.
I also need to make some spacers so I can fit the 900rr rear wheel. Unless there's a wider wheel I can stick in there!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts