Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Finished the wiring in the rear and hooked up the tail lights and indicators as well. Bit of a squeeze but the seat sits on it fine without squashing anything:

Custom brake lines ordered from Venhill this morning. Also got my tygon tubing for the rear reservoir in the post.
Need to stick the brakes back together and start cleaning up the headers!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
No photos tonight but got half the harness taped up and the earth wires sorted.
Started fitting chain; broke a couple links off the DID 130-link jobbie I got and realised (a bit late on :D) that the sleeve inside the swing arm extension was blocking the chain adjusters from going up the swing arm far enough. D'oh!
So the front of them mysteriously fell off, and I'll try again tomorrow night :rock: hope I can make the deadline, I just need to keep chipping away!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Jeez :D

Loosely assembled the brake lines I got from Venhill. If I can get the brakes and lines on, and the chain riveted tomorrow then it's a case of lots of little jobs until it's fired up. Still need to give the headers a good scrub with steel wool too.

Don't think I'll have time to get a new link pipe welded up but we'll see...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Loosely fit the rear brake line and tapped the swing arm to clip it onto:

I'm beginning to see a theme here...
Also had a go at riveting the chain and fucked it up. For some reason the tool was clamping more on one side than the other and crushed the O-ring and I didn't realise. When I tried to press it back out to even it up, it started pushing the link out the other side, wtf?

Ordered a new master link, pissed off it sets me back another few days though

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Got some wee bits done while I'm waiting on the chain link. Before photo:

After some harpic, scotchbrite and a quick buff:

Was going to fit it but remembered I've a new oil filter coming. Makes it a bit easier to change if I leave the exhaust off for now.

Fit a length of that tygon tubing as a reservoir delete on the rear brake cylinder. Not sure how long it should be though.

Wiring is just about there. Bit of a bird's nest under the air box like last time but oh well.
Just need to join a H4 plug onto the headlight wiring and crimp the indicator wires and I can crack on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
New master link arrived so should button up the chain tomorrow night.
Fitted the exhaust. I do like this photo!

Stuck the radiator on and checked the hoses for fitment. I fit these last year out of leftovers from doing the car. Definitely need to change them to black but they'll do for now:

Also fitted the new oil filter and filled her up with oil.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Got the front calipers on but there's a fair bit of rubbing. I think I might have the pad springs fitted incorrectly...
Hooked up the radiator fans and tightened it and the hoses all up.

Managed to leave the fuel line to the carbs disconnected. Lucky I realised before trying to start it but seriously :confused:
Got everything fitted up:

Turned the key, pushed the button and fuck all :D I gave myself a hefty facepalm after realising I'd effectively bypassed the starter button by accident. After a bit of wire twist'n'tape, I got her to turn over! Yeea boiiieeee

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Front brake lines clipped on:

Not the most elegant solution but somebody ran their throttle cables in the road a bit...

I finished the wiring harness as well, finally. Just need to fit some conduit for the bar switch wires.
I also might have lined up a bargain SV650 this weekend too!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Turned out to just be a split at the end of the tank - fuel pump hose. Not sure how it got everywhere, must have run off the hose or something.
Got her started up and can't seem to get much coolant in...might have to check the thermostat.

Got the tank protector on as well just to kill some time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Bit of a clusterfuck this evening. Starter switch packed in after one day, coolant pissed everywhere and I almost faceplanted getting a video of the bike :D

The bike runs but has no front brakes - I ran out of time to fill and bleed them. I did go for a little run with the rear brake and didn't crash though, for what it's worth. Not sure how to embed video, but here's the link to a running walk-around video. Let me know if you can see it or not:
https://youtu.be/-KJOlVbIlYY

Mods

Custom subframe
Fibreglass tail cover
Rebuilt wiring harness; fuse panel and CDI moved to tail section
Custom seat
Extended swing arm & bracing
Fireblade rear disc
600RR radial front master cylinder & reservoir
Bar end mirrors (eBay specials)
Venhill custom brake lines front and back
Shorai lithium battery relocated under tank
Polisport aftermarket headlight with H4 LED lamp
Aftermarket clip ons with custom switch setup, dropped under top yoke
BFT custom headlight brackets (fork clamp)
Repainted matte black. Frame, swing arm, engine covers and brackets powdercoated black; wheels and engine mounts painted metallic purple.

Other work done (not technically mods but still)
DID VX chain, new sprockets, wheel bearings front and back, new oil, filter, coolant.

11:40. Cutting it close!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Hope it's ok to post a wee update in here. Put the bike on the road (legally; taxed and insured) yesterday and went for a wee run. Was a bit shaky to start off due to the geometry changes and not having been on a bike for a while but got back into the swing of things soon.
This morning I whipped the front brakes off, fitted the pad springs correctly (I wondered what the hella scraping noise was :D), nipped up the chain a bit, took the centre stand off, and then went for a run along the coast. By about halfway along I was well into it, it's a fucking hoot to ride. Definitely takes some getting used to turning but it's so much fun. The change in sprockets really feels like it wants to take off, although again I hadn't ridden in a long time.

TL;DR: this bike is cracking fun to ride, and the amount of attention it gets is hilarious :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
tarmac surfing?
Yep! Wasn't me though. Friend at my work had just fit new tyres on it, and took it round the car park. I didn't realise it was possible to high side so violently at 15-20mph, or even at all. But one broken collar bone and some road rash later and I've seen it done. Scared the shit out of me, and I was just watching!

Bike runs fine and still gets all gears, but it'll need some tidying before I go over to Ireland at the end of the month!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Dent? What dent? I ain't see no dent!

Straightened out the gear shifter and shimmed out the heel plate so the shift linkage clears the side stand bolts. Couldn't get the twist out of the heel plate though, and the footpeg is cracked under the rubber.

But the worst of all:

Man I'm gutted about the wheel. It must have caught a stone and it's dented and cracked the rim a bit. Looks like it's getting a new wheel too

101 - 120 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.