Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have some pro taper 7/8 bars which have thicker walls and I cannot find anything to hold my bar end mirrors solidly.

I'm wondering I'd someone can turn me two small cylinders that'll fit in the ends tapped to 8mm in the center so I can just screw my mirrors directly into my bars.

I'll get exact measurements if this is possible

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some free time tonight after work so I'm gonna go to the hardware store and see if I can find some materials that a guy on another forum used for his pt bars.

If that still doesn't work I'll give you a shout yan

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Let me check my shit tonight, I think I might have a set of bar inserts from some bar end mirrors. They had sleeves on them to fit different thickness bars. I can measure em and see if they will work for you. Knowing me, they are black.

I had them in drag bars and prospers, so they should fit. I wanna say they had a screw that pulled two wedges against each other.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that sounds like exactly what I need and I'm not sure about the inserts yet. I'm thinking like 14mm diameter cylinder that's maybe 20mm long and knurled on half of it so I can get it started in the bar then use a mallet to tap it in snug. The rest of the way. And tapped in the middle for an 8mm bolt.

But I'm still not sure if that'll work and I need to take calipers to get the inner diameter of my bars.

But yes I can trade for decals

·
1,562 Posts
i got busy and forgot to look, but haven't forgotten about ya!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,036 Posts
Yes that sounds like exactly what I need and I'm not sure about the inserts yet. I'm thinking like 14mm diameter cylinder that's maybe 20mm long and knurled on half of it so I can get it started in the bar then use a mallet to tap it in snug. The rest of the way. And tapped in the middle for an 8mm bolt.

But I'm still not sure if that'll work and I need to take calipers to get the inner diameter of my bars.

But yes I can trade for decals

Just holler at me when you get it all sorted out. Just draw up a simple diagram. No need to get fancy. Pen and napkin and cellphone pic works.

On the decals I'm looking for a pair of left and right Honda wings in a semi gloss black. But we can figure that out later. Just shout when you're ready.

·
1,562 Posts
I just took a look. I have mirrors, but none of the bar end insets. My bad, I really thought I had a set laying around. Continue with the sticker/milling bartering!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So this is what I was thinking. Just a small insert with a lip to help it sit straight in the bar. And knurled to keep it tight in the bar.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,036 Posts
Fill in these blanks ( a,b,c,d ) and I'll have enough info to make the inserts. Keep in mind your bars likely have a welded seam inside that will need to be filed away to allow a solid insert like this to fit correctly. Also, if you want the knurl to be what actually fastens the insert in place, I would suggest roughing up the inside of the bar and add some loctite before pounding them in.

Riser spacers out of aluminum?
Bar ends out of steel or aluminum? Steel would be nice for weight to act like a vibe dampner. Aluminum might be better due to being softer and might allow the knurl to compress easier. Your call.

How does an even swap for the riser spacers and $40 shipped for the inserts sound?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

Just a suggestion, but I`d make the inserts like this so when tightened the insert wedges itself into the bar tightening it in place. Has to be pretty snug fit but if done right it`s not going anywhere.

Reactions: MikeGyver
1 - 20 of 43 Posts