Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, We are back to that annoying conundrum, Where we might need to try and source some "pre jetted coned carbs for a bandit 600" Reason being I've never jetted one, and it might just be all round easier,....Any hoo we have found some 1200 bandit jetted carbs,.. his is a 600,...will they fit? Might be a silly question But Ive not seen to know if the carbs between a 600 and a 1200 can be swapped over?....
if no anyone got any pointers on jetting the carbs? instructions step by step?

I did a search on here but just couldnt quite find what i wanted to know. Cheers all I will upload more of my bros pics of his fighter, which other than the "carb" prob is starting to turn into an interesting build. Please can someone or anyone help out here?

G

·
You wont get B12 carbs in B6 rubbers even though the spacing is the same & anyway they are way too big for a 6 at 36mm

If you are determined to go down this route your best bet is to buy filters for your carbs & jet them to suit yourself but its a pain even when you've done it hundreds of times ITS STILL A PAIN! thrust me on this !

I can help & advise on doing it & i expect many others can as well but you need to ask yourself is it worth the hassle? the bike will run smoother on the stock airbox & theres not a lot of power to be gained by doing it on the B6

just my opinion ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thats kool its just we put the stock box back on but because it has a R1 tail end, the opening to the stock airbox is more exposed,..It seems the bike is still getting too much air,.. We noticed when we plugged the hole it ran better,..However this isnt the best fix as at top revs its almost starved?....Than again it might be getting too much air as we had to drill holes into the stock airbox to let the subframe bolts pass....Perhaps i should shorten the mount bolts,.. and re seal the holes which were drilled and then try again?....Then look into a way of almost "half blocking the main inlet of the stock air box???

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Let's start at the basics. Do you know what the various circuits in the carbs do? Any advice we give will be totally lost unless you have a basic understanding of which circuit does what.

G

·
My advice would to try & use the a stock airbox with no extra holes if you can otherwise without rejetting you are going to run lean at the top end risking engine damage

If you cant do this you will need to rejet or go down the filters & rejet route, i'd say go with the filters as theres more info about & theres jet kits available where as using a messed with airbox you are going to be pretty much on your own

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's start at the basics. Do you know what the various circuits in the carbs do? Any advice we give will be totally lost unless you have a basic understanding of which circuit does what.
A rought idea but im best to say nope,...Im thick as shite

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice would to try & use the a stock airbox with no extra holes if you can otherwise without rejetting you are going to run lean at the top end risking engine damage

If you cant do this you will need to rejet or go down the filters & rejet route, i'd say go with the filters as theres more info about & theres jet kits available where as using a messed with airbox you are going to be pretty much on your own
We will try and seal the extra holes up, and try,.. then see about not making the opening of the stock airbox mouth as exposed,..As it ran fine originally before the modding began,...But as u may know the airbox opening with a stock subframe etc faced the mouth to the airbox into the tail section where it is "not" as exposed as being open directly to the open air.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
A rought idea but im best to say nope,...Im thick as shite
Ok. We'll start with this chart.

Basically you've got four different circuits on a typical CV carb, and you need to tune all four for the bike to run correctly when you alter the intake or exhaust. The strategy recommended by Factory Pro is to start from the main jet and work your way down to the idle mix screws. It's what I've done in the past and it works pretty well.

1. Install pod filters/exhaust/whatever
2. Buy jet kit
3. Increase main jet size until WOT performance increases, then starts to decrease again. That second to largest jet is the one you want on the mains.
4. Start with needle on the highest clip position, so that it sits into the carb as far as possible. Like before, lower that clip until performance at medium throttle increases, then decreases.
5. Repeat step one with the pilot jet to tune low throttle openings. These usually don't need to move a whole lot. My old B12 with full exhaust and pod filters had the stock pilot jets.
6. Set your idle mix screws so that when you blip the throttle the engine speed doesn't dip or hang. If it's too rich, the rpm will drop slightly before picking up, and if it's too lean the rpm will hang high briefly before coming back down.

Do all that correctly and you should have a bike that runs cleanly and gives the best possible performance with the parts you have on it.

G

·
All true enough & buying a jet kit for your bike is proably the easiest option as most of the work has already been done for you

On a uk bike i could tell you what jets you need & approxamate airscrew settings (every bike is slightly different) to get you started but with the differances in US & other models ignition & carbs means this would be a minefield

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
We will try and seal the extra holes up, and try,.. then see about not making the opening of the stock airbox mouth as exposed,..As it ran fine originally before the modding began,...But as u may know the airbox opening with a stock subframe etc faced the mouth to the airbox into the tail section where it is "not" as exposed as being open directly to the open air.
how exposed the stock inlet is shouldn't matter quite so much. dont plan on blocking that off any more than stock. but any EXTRA holes you've drilled in your airbox you may wanna fill back in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will try and fill the holes in the air box minus the stock opening,.. see what happens, but it ran fins with an after market can before with the stock air box soin theory it should be fine,.. but its just being a pain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts