Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I've been on here relentlessly for the past month trying to get the bugs worked out of my 06 gsxr 600 project. I have it running finally, no codes being thrown, everything mechanically seems sound. All I have left is the body. but after about a half dozen unfinished fiberglass pieces, from stubby bobtails to copies of the oem plastic, I still have no idea as to what direction I want to take it. If it were for me it would be easy, bobtail and a minimalist headlight, but I'm not particularly a fan of the 4cyl rice burners and this bike has honestly been a thorn in my side since the day I idiotically took a note out on it brand new.

So I need this thing to sell. Excellent condition it blue books at $4300 with 23,000 miles on it and with that, there lies my problem. having lain it over in 07, busting up the plastic and headlight, I barely rode it, naked, until 09 when I got deployed overseas. Its been setting up with roughly 8500 miles on it ever since. mechanically it only needs the exhaust servo cable (frayed in the crash). I've painstakingly went through every system cleaning connections and changing fluids and can confidently say everything is working well minus the butterfly valve not having a cable. the body however, would require me getting a new rear subframe, warped just enough to throw the line off, and new plactics because there wasn't enough of the bottom section for me to completely refab them.

All that being said, I'm wondering if I fightered, and I mean took the time to do a professional quality job, could I potentially get more than 43 for it without adding a lot of aftermarket upgrades? If so, I've got a brand new oem headlight that I had ordered once upon a time and never used. should I include that in the build or sell it to generate cash. either way it'll be a min before I have it ready to sell, but I'd like to go ahead and sell the headlight if I'm not going to need it. I just don't want to go that route and 4 months from now decide its hopeless and have to put it back together stock to get what I can for it.

If nothing else I can always try to get a few more miles out of it I guess, make it easier to swallow the fact that it took damn near 14gs to clear the note and I've barely rode it, but in doing that I risk screwing something else up. not only that but I'm already itching to pick up another project. as many of you have read I've had my eye on a vf750 for some time now. Ideally I'd like to get 5 out of it, enough to pay off a bill or two and pick up another couple of wrecked builds that I could potentially sell. As much time as I've put into learning this trade (not to mention it simply being a sickass sidejob) I'd like to continue on until I've got enough going to open up my own shop doing custom work.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
ok so I've been on here relentlessly for the past month trying to get the bugs worked out of my 06 gsxr 600 project. I have it running finally, no codes being thrown, everything mechanically seems sound. All I have left is the body. but after about a half dozen unfinished fiberglass pieces, from stubby bobtails to copies of the oem plastic, I still have no idea as to what direction I want to take it. If it were for me it would be easy, bobtail and a minimalist headlight, but I'm not particularly a fan of the 4cyl rice burners and this bike has honestly been a thorn in my side since the day I idiotically took a note out on it brand new.

So I need this thing to sell. Excellent condition it blue books at $4300 with 23,000 miles on it and with that, there lies my problem. having lain it over in 07, busting up the plastic and headlight, I barely rode it, naked, until 09 when I got deployed overseas. Its been setting up with roughly 8500 miles on it ever since. mechanically it only needs the exhaust servo cable (frayed in the crash). I've painstakingly went through every system cleaning connections and changing fluids and can confidently say everything is working well minus the butterfly valve not having a cable. the body however, would require me getting a new rear subframe, warped just enough to throw the line off, and new plactics because there wasn't enough of the bottom section for me to completely refab them.

All that being said, I'm wondering if I fightered, and I mean took the time to do a professional quality job, could I potentially get more than 43 for it without adding a lot of aftermarket upgrades? If so, I've got a brand new oem headlight that I had ordered once upon a time and never used. should I include that in the build or sell it to generate cash. either way it'll be a min before I have it ready to sell, but I'd like to go ahead and sell the headlight if I'm not going to need it. I just don't want to go that route and 4 months from now decide its hopeless and have to put it back together stock to get what I can for it.

If nothing else I can always try to get a few more miles out of it I guess, make it easier to swallow the fact that it took damn near 14gs to clear the note and I've barely rode it, but in doing that I risk screwing something else up. not only that but I'm already itching to pick up another project. as many of you have read I've had my eye on a vf750 for some time now. Ideally I'd like to get 5 out of it, enough to pay off a bill or two and pick up another couple of wrecked builds that I could potentially sell. As much time as I've put into learning this trade (not to mention it simply being a sickass sidejob) I'd like to continue on until I've got enough going to open up my own shop doing custom work.
You're probably not going to get more than book value for it in fightered condition. If you're honest and say it's been crashed, you're going to be lucky to get 80% of book if you restore it to factory condition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was afraid you'd say. sounds like it'd be better to just fighter it though, by the time I ordered the parts i needed to go back stock i'd be doing good to clear three off of it. if i bob it and change the exhaust however, the need for the oem pieces goes away. not that i'm planning on lying about it exactly, but crashed may have been a bit of an exaggeration for what happened. I pulled out of a gas station from a stop and caught gravel. the only reason it did the damage it did was because i was thrown off so fast i didn't have time to let go of the throttle (like i said, the bike has less than 9k miles, a decent amount put on after the crash :shootme: ). One more reason my next bike, preferably not an inline, will have dual sport tires. the roads down here turn to shit at times. It's frame sliders and my body saved the tank and engine while the headlight and tail seesawed back and forth.

I may go ahead and put it up for grabs on here see if anyone wants to offer a generous amount for it stripped down. im gonna continue to do body work on the side one way or the other, but i'd just as soon put the effort into something im going to want to ride for a while. call me old, but i just don't feel the need to go 160 miles an hour anymore. all it need is fiberglass though so maybe somebody will like it.

not to change the subject or anything, but i have the oem lens from the old head light and a hid light/ballast from a mustang that i think still works. would it be possible to fiberglass a housing for that and create something like this or would that bulb be too hot? I'm probably going to go ahead and sell the new headlight and front support.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I say sell the headlight and since you're looking at a new project why not just take your time rip the thorn out and build it right. Stop thinking about what someone else wants and build your own vision. You didn't just buy it off the showroom floor because you hated it. You have memories seat time hard work and a lot of thought into the bike. Put some LOVE into it and build your dream. You're never going to get 43 for it so instead sell everything you took off use that money to build. You don't need a lot of money to build a bike just a little creativity and want.

You want to build a bike for yourself but you've been trying to build something for someone else you don't even know. You'll never be happy that way. Most of us would prefer to build a different bike then the ones we have built but it was there and we turned it into what we want. I vote build your dream bike out of it take your time enjoy the easy work the hard work and the pride you get from building something you hate into something you love.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, while I respect that opinion, my dream bike, or at least what I can see as my potential dream bike, 84 honda interceptor (my mouth waters just saying that) is sitting just up the road for 600 dollars cash. It needs a lot of tlc tho and having racked up well over a grand on supply's for this project already. Even if I could swallow my pride and cut someone a deal on this thing, I would still need a nice chunk of change to clear this project and get the other one going. I've been patiently waiting until I at least had it running, but the guy just wrecked his Harley and got banged up really bad. I'm worried he's gonna start trying a little harder to sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
If you want to sell your 600, return it to as close to stock as possible unless you find someone who wants you to build it for them. Streetfighters are highly personal creations that severely limit the market for resale. Personally, I want to know who gave you eight year financing on a motorcycle. That's incredible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8 year financing? Im not sure how the plan was set up but after paying roughly 400 a month for over 12 months and not seeing the 12+ thousand dollar note (how they got an 8500 sticker price up that high is beyond me) drop but a grand, I soon elected to pay it off. I was in the military for ten years, up until uncle sam decided he didn't need us to fight his war bad enough anymore to put up with habits we developed along the way :rasta:. sporadic deployments and activations were frequent, along with the pay benefits so it didn't take long once I saw just what exactly the minimum payment was covering.

I get what your saying about the custom thing being personal that's y I was thinking of putting it on here a few hundred less than what I would charge if I had built a body. I was also considering doing a theme that would appeal to a large amount of people. I was looking at it the other day and envisioned a ninja turtle bobber for instance. Since I've got nothing better to do and my fab skills need some serious practice, I was even thinking of makin more than one kit and seeing which one appealed the most to the people looking. I could always sell the other kits for the price of the material it cost to make them. I've also got my tattoo artist thinking of getting it as is and finishing my sleeves in exchange for me finishing the bike to his specs. we couldn't settle on the price at the time tho because I was wanting at least three cash if we went that route, the bike running as well as it does.

right now I'm just at a crossroad here and once I get past this point I don't think there's much chance of turning around to go the other way. Not knowing what something like this would go for customized, I wanted to be sure I wasn't just pissing in the wind and should just get rid of it for what I could as is.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
No one is buying a fucking crashed, bobbed, ninja turtled gsxr. Sorry dude, is not happening. You want to sell a bike? Make it stock, or at most "normal" bolt ons(exhaust, pc, led taillight).

There are professionally built, high quality component fighters out there for sale for $4k and builders can't get rid of them.

Obviously you're in a shitty situation with the amount of money you've got wrapped up in it, but that has ZERO effect on its value in the market.

·
Operation Sketchy At Best
2,237 Posts
dude you have a wrecked chopped 600 with 23000 miles, seriousley i would offer sub 1000 on it, fix it, hope to 2500-3000 at the begining of the season/tax refund dummy time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
offer sub 1000? not sure what u meant by that. its got 8500 miles on it. the 23000 number came from Kelly bluebook, the default miles for their excellent condition rating. I couldn't figure out how to change that, not sure you can... the car side will let you but I didn't see a mileage option on the bike side. to me, being that I've taken the time to do everything else, I was thinking someone wanting a 600 might be willing pay a decent amount for it provided they were going to fighter it. maybe thats wishful thinking, but it seems reasonable... its not like the oem body kit is made of fucking gold. Besides the bike looks like shit with all that plastic on it anyway.

to sum up all this, I guess I'm going to keep it unless someone responds to the ad with an offer I can live with. I'll use it to gain body work experience and have something to ride for now. from what y'all have told me im gonna get the same amount either way, fightering or restoring it, because I could easily spend close to a grand getting a subframe and the lower part of the ferring I need to fab the original body. Even then it would be fiberglass so it would still never get it close to the 43 figure. Apparently crashed bikes are worthless no matter what the mileage is so putting another 20k miles on it is going to do absolutely zilch to the value of it. I just hate to let that vf go to someone else. Maybe by next feb or so, after it has a clean body and a few more thousand miles on it, I'll find someone with tax money that will pick her up for a little over 3 like you suggested. Mainly because I need the experience, ill probably go ahead and make a couple of kits for it so who ever buys it can configure it however they want too.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Can you explain the dream bike status for the 86 VF750? I don't get it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
86... the guy said it was between an 82 to 84. a mechanic i'm working with is selling it for his brother and he's not exactly sure whats on the title. i read somewhere that a 750 was only introduced in 86 tho, what this bike is, but i had assumed that it was the vfr the article was talking about. Would he be wrong about the year altogether?

in any case its not so much that particular bike as it is its a v4 engine, something i've been wanting to get under me for a while now, and its a honda, which is a name i've trusted for since i was tall enough to hop on something with wheels.

I've also been around heavy equipment for about that long and frankly i'm burnt out and looking for a new field to get into. i've tinkered with the gsxr a bit but with so few miles on it, there hasn't been much to do. other than that i've only had a couple of dirt bikes to mess around with and i figured getting an older bike would give me more of a ground up perspective. I would probably strip it down as soon as i got it to c what i could do with the rest of the bike. It wouldn't look anything like the original thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I guess I understand all that. But if you're looking to strip a bike down to the frame and rebuild it, why don't you just do that with the GSXR? Or sell the Suzuki and buy a more modern VFR if you really have to have the V4? There's not really anything special about the VF(R?) you want except that it's cheap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea cheaps the word here. I can get it and spend two or three hundred tuning it up. Get what life I can out of the motor then when that goes, replace it with a later version, maybe even seeing if the 800 will fit. One of the reasons it's so cheap is the tank has a leak so rather than spend the money on a replica I'm going to either make one or find a salvaged something or other.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had to cut that one short, my ole lady was starting to raise hell about me coming to bed... but from i've been told by the guy i work with, the only thing wrong with the bike is that his brother is a fat ass that too lazy to fix it and is wanting to sell it for too much. the 600 dollar price is what i'm getting it for provided i pay cash. I think the brother has been going around asking for 8 or 9. I'm afraid with his accident however, he may decide to drop that price so that it will sell. Other than the tank tho, it just been sitting up. William said he walks out there and pours a little gas in it and cranks it for him from time to time so that it doesn't go to complete shit but other than that its just sittin there rotting away. the plastic is sun bleached, theres rust all over it... i figure it'll be the perfect candidate to rescue, strip down and make one of my own creations.

keep in mind blenson, you were just filling me in on the concepts of a dual sport bike just two weeks ago. this is the bike i'm planning of rigging up to run the back roads of mississippi, where one minute you can be driving on a nice clean freshly paved black top when randomly it falls out from under you and you hit muddy gravel for the 100 meters. i realize there are plenty of dual sport bikes already out there that would be just as easy to get, but to me they all look like glorified dirt bikes. I'm wanting to build something that doesn't sacrifice the look and feel of a street bike. call me an idiot (or a *******) but the v4 just seems like the perfect platform to build this around, torquey with plenty of top end left to stretch out. apparently i'm not the only one that feels this way either. i only caught a glimpse of last month's FOM (I've been absent for quite some time) but wasn't it a tuono with continental twin duro tires on it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts