Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2006 Gsx-R600 cafe fighter build. I am trying to relocate the steering damper from the front of the forks. I wanted to move it to the side of the gas tank where I have seen a few others. My question is how hard would this be to obtain? I looked into what I would need and I am confused.

I am assuming I would need a way to mount the damper to the fork? So I would use something like.... this?

http://www.speedmotoco.com/steering-damper-bracket-p/fc52.htm

Also, I would need to then mount the other end to what... the frame? So I would need to somehow need a bracket to swivel back and forth and that would be bolted on the frame....

Which I am not sure how to do.

I have a picture of what I am aiming for, and a picture of what I currently have on the bike for my steering damper.

What I want to go for.....

If anyone knows of someone who has done this with this bike model or knows any expertise.... please point me in the right direction. Kind of lost at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
I have serious doubts about your damper being way too short to be relocated like that. You'd probly need a new longer damper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I be able to purchase any damper? Or are there certain requirements from bike to bike swaps? Sorry, completely new to damper info.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
I'm certainly not the best to give you advice on this topic but:

The damper itself, I reckon, don't change if you look at kits of the same damper for various bikes, they're adjustable right? It's the mounting kit that comes with it. You either have to order a damper that has a bike spesific mounting kit for your bike and fitting position, or you can order a generic damper and make your own mounting hardware.

For example my damper is mounted onto the crash cage, I built a mounting point straight into the crossbeam to avoid any flimsy brackets.

What you need to do first is figure out where you want your damper, decide a mounting point on the frame, then take a tape measure, turn your handlebars to the far right position, measure the distance between your frame mounting point and your right shock. Then turn your handlebars to the far left and measure the distance again using the same reference points. The difference between these measurements is the minimal stroke your damper needs to have. For example in my case the mounting point and the width of the front end resulted in my damper being quite a spear, in fact that was the longest cheapo ebay damper I could get my hands on.

Oh, and another thing. If you end up using an ebay damper be prepared to rebuild it right away, mine was leaking coming out of the box.

And on the other hand if you want to go the posh way and get a good quality Öhlins or equalivent, prepare to shell out several hundreds of dollars/euros/whatever you use wherever you are...

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
Racing Geek has a shit load of various dampers. Or he did. He has my old style Ohlins that mounts like you want to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts