Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Millwright
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres a little run down. i have an old bike fetish. the newest bike i own is a 1986. but thats beside the point. what i need help with is finding a piston for a 1976 kawasaki kx 400. to the best of my knowledge they only have one over bore kit for it and it does have it on the bike already. the problem is it piston slaps like a motherfucker. i found one on ebay at one time and it was $450. most likely more than the bike is worth. the reason i want to rebuild it is because it's my dads old bike and i want to resurrect it for him for a birthday present. if anyone knows where i can find vintage dirt bike parts i'd be extremely appreciative. :shocker:

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Tried this guy?

"Hi Everyone,

I'm Mark and I am spreading the word that I have piston kits for 75-76 KX400, 80-83 KX420 and KDX450 available. These are a very rare find and I only have a few left so if you have this bike or know somebody who does, shoot me an e-mail: [email protected].

Thank you!"

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Tried this guy?

"Hi Everyone,

I'm Mark and I am spreading the word that I have piston kits for 75-76 KX400, 80-83 KX420 and KDX450 available. These are a very rare find and I only have a few left so if you have this bike or know somebody who does, shoot me an e-mail: [email protected].

Thank you!"
What's up with this dude is he a member on this forum? Do you have a link to that quote you posted?

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Yeah sorry it was easier to copy what he said on my phone. If anything he might know a bit about what else fits.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
can you send the cly off and have it replated? I did this on an old two stroke kaw from 81. In the mid 90s that cost me about $100 for a new plating and bore to a new stock size piston i sent them. I used a place in cali but there are a bunch of them.
This ^^^ orrrrrrr one other thing I was thinking. In 80-81 I believe they switched to using a pressed in cylinder sleeve for the kx400. I wonder if you could bore your cylinder out to the sleeve size and press in a sleeve.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm going to be that asshole and bump this. I have a kdx400 and the piston and cylinder are toast. Same situation as RacerX, can't find a NOS piston for it but I can only find sleeves. My next option is to go up to a kx/kdx420 piston and sleeve, but same situation except for that hbliss guy. I emailed him and he said its $219 for the 'kit' I asked what it entails and never got back to me. Has anyone ever used that hbliss guy or any other alternatives? Like I said the piston has score marks all around it, so it doesn't seem salvageable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts