Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently binned my yamaha mt03 as a result I bent my front forks. I thought this was a fantastic opportunity to putt a set of upside down forks on, I have always wanted some but needed a good enough reason to change them so this is my ticket.

However as most of you know it is not as simple as it may seem, I have found a set of forks off a cbr929 they use the same headstock bearings as my Mt but the stem is 20mm shorter so unless there is a "trick" to overcome this problem I'm pretty stumpt!

Here of my measurements of the mt03
Stem- 250mm
Length of fork- 800mm

Top bearing
Outside- 47mm
Inside- 25mm
Height- 15mm

Bottom bearing
Outside- 55mm
Inside- 30mm
Height- 17mm

Any help or educated opinions would be much appreciated.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
2 ways...

1. Press the stem out of your stock triples. Press it into the 929 triples, use a bushing if too small or turn it down if too big. Bolt it up using stock mt03 bearings.

2. Cut the 929 stem, use a solid slug that fits perfectly inside of it to keep it perfectly straight. Space it 20mm to the appropriate length. Weld it up and bolt it together.

basically like this... but on a motorcycle.

Or make up a spacer on the slug and put it all together like this, either way its been done a millions times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is it to press and repress? Do I need special tools? Is it easy to fuck up? And which of the 3 ways is the easiest? Many thanks

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
How hard is it to press and repress? Do I need special tools? Is it easy to fuck up? And which of the 3 ways is the easiest? Many thanks
Well if the bearings are indeed the same size then the stems should be the same size too. So you would just need a hydraulic press. Usually at least 20 ton although with a little persuasion I have been able to use a smaller 12 ton press. If you dont have one any machine shop should be able to do it for you for $10-20 and should only take them a few minutes while you wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I new to all this, what's a machine shop? Is that slang for a motorbike garage? Or an engineers workshop? Excuse my ignorance ha!

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Any shop that does metal lathe work, mill work and things like that. Or any automotive machine shop that does boring of engine blocks and things like that should also have the capability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts