Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, first post on the forum. Hope you are all doing well :)
So, I opted to do my oil and filter change myself but in the process of removing the old filter I’ve damaged the thread bolt. I’ve got a replacement thread bolt here and ready to go on but I can’t get the old one off. It’s a nightmare. I’ve tried pliers of different types and many tools with “teeth” but no grip, it just slips round. Not sure if this is because of the threads or because it’s been smothered in oil for years. I’ve tried my best to clean it.
Any ideas/techniques for getting it off?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, that's butchered!

Usually, the threaded oil pipe is threaded using red Loctite. You need to put some heat on the pipe before attempting to unscrew it.
Yeah, that’s after I’ve tried to get it off too. I stabbed my oil filter with a screwdriver to get it off, not realising that I was also damaging the thread inside :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Serious question: why do people are trying to unscrew the oil filter using the wrench "trick"? A filter wrench costs 4-5$, or you can simply use a big-ass plumber wrench to grip the filter.
Good question, I won’t be using this method again 🤣

·
Is my bike ok?
15,020 Posts
It's very likely that the threaded stub isn't actually threaded in to the engine cases. Often times they are cast in to the cases, anchoring them solidly in place. Imagine a large hex or similar on the other end, surrounded by the cast aluminum. Ain't coming out.

Your best bet will be to find a thread file. It's just what the name sounds like. It's a file, but the cutting teeth will be spaced out on different thread pitches. They are cheap. Usually each thread file will have about 8 different thread pitches on one file. Google it and it'll make sense. You can use the file to dress your stub up in a few minutes. Cheaper than a die, and doesn't require healthy threads to get started like a die does.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,238 Posts
He said he already had a replacement "thread bolt", so my assumption is it's removable to some degree

1 - 11 of 11 Posts