Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised my friend Id get this go kart He bought running for His sons 8th Birthday. Ive been waiting on a fucking starter relay from eBay so the B-day has come and gone and now Im working on borrowed time. Heres a lin to the thread I made in the buggy forums:

http://buggynews.com/post442931.html#p442931

And heres what Ive got so far:

-The battery is brand new, 12.40 volts. Filled it myself
-The starter relay is brand new
-the inline glasss tube fuse on the battery positive cable to the starter relay is good, because I got 12.40 volts, just on the other side of it on the fuse holder
-I can jump the starter straight off the battery and the engine turns over, but I cant get it running
-I pulled the spark plug,, left it in the plug wire, held it against the block and kicked the kickstarter over with my hand and the spark plug has spark
-I completely cut deleted the ignition killswitch and twisted the wires together, so no more ground interrupt from the killswitch
-The plug that connects to this cheap flimsy piece of shit push button starter has 0.01 volts going to it
-The heavy gauge wires that plug into the same gauge wires from the starter to the starter relay read 0.00 volts on both sides(of course because one side is wired to the starter with no power source connected when the cables are unplugged)

I cant read anything with the multimeter when the starter button is pushed down because Im not getting power to the fucking starter button. I am fucked here and feel like the biggest piece of shit in the world for letting my friend and His 8 year old Son down. PLEASE HELP!

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
sure does sound like a ground fault between the kill switch and starter button to me. was the kill switch a 2 or 3 wire? 2 your probably ok bypassing it the way you did, 3 wires usually means there's an extra solenoid somewhere between the kill switch and starter button. (retarded, i know) or how bout the ground strap that goes from the chassis to the head/valve cover area, (unlikely but possible.)

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Is there a seperate starter solenoid and a relay? or just a relay? Is there a keyed ignition or just a start button and a kill switch (which you disabled)?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The killswitch is a 2 wire. The starter has just the relay, no solenoid. It has only a push button ignition, no key. Its a momentary button as oppsed to a key which is more or less a momentary switch. Both the killswitch and the starter button are a 2 wire setup for whatever thats worth.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sure does sound like a ground fault between the kill switch and starter button to me. was the kill switch a 2 or 3 wire? 2 your probably ok bypassing it the way you did, 3 wires usually means there's an extra solenoid somewhere between the kill switch and starter button. (retarded, i know) or how bout the ground strap that goes from the chassis to the head/valve cover area, (unlikely but possible.)
Ya know I didnt check the chassis ground and I guaran-fuckin-tee it aint a strap. Its probably a small gauge fucking wire knowing them sneaky Chinamen. :fu:

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really confused by the first diagram. There's only one red wire in the pic so its very hard for me o tell what's a ground and what's hot. I'm assuming anything that reads an amkperage limit is a hot wire. I'm confused. I'm trying to draw the diagram you posted so I can reference it to basically rewire the whole thing. I've got a positive from the battery to the starter button, a positive from the starter button to the relay, a ground from the relay to the chassis and that's it.

Does a positive wire go straight from the battery to the starter? Cause that's what it looks like in the diagram but that doesn't seem right cause that would just arc the starter. I can't find any diagrams on Google images and I really need to know how to rewire the relay, starter, battery and starter button.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
does the relay have marking on it. most relays are numbered with standard numbers like so...

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
EDIT: ok, I changed this one up just for your situation. With the info I have now I believe this wiring should get you cranking...
The starter is grounded threw the motor so no need to ground the starter with a wire. The battery just gets a ground wire to the frame or engine block. The relay blade #85 goes to a ground. #86 to one side of the push start button momentary switch. #87 to the smaller part of the starter, usually a blade like on the relay BUT NOT ALWAYS, it may be a bolt but either way it is usually designated by a letter S. #30 is where the relay gets its power from, this you connect to the post of the starter along with the battery cable, this post is usually designated with a B but even if its not its pretty easy to tell which one it is usually as its the biggest and main nut on the starter.

If you can not figure out your relay you can always go and get a universal starter relay from any auto parts store for $12-$15 that will have the proper designations on it.

Sorry if this is all confusing, wish I lived close id just come give ya a hand and help ya, wiring is one of those things that can be very hard to just describe in words ya know? lol

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are no numbers on the relay at all, and only 4 females spade terminals. Big pos, big neg, small pos and small neg or maybe only one big neg and the rest are positives. I'm gonna take pics today.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I don't think the starter has a solenoid, just the starter relay? Is that possible? It doesn't look like there's anything on the starter, its just a cylinder with two wires connected to it. I also don't understand how there can he power straight from the battery to the starter. Wouldn't that just make the starter spin constantly? Thanks a million for your help guys. I'm sorry its taking me a while to catch on. I'm not good at wiring diagrams and understanding through words. I gotta see it in front of me in 3D for it to make sense. I appreciate your patience.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Also I don't think the starter has a solenoid, just the starter relay? Is that possible? It doesn't look like there's anything on the starter, its just a cylinder with two wires connected to it. I also don't understand how there can he power straight from the battery to the starter. Wouldn't that just make the starter spin constantly? Thanks a million for your help guys. I'm sorry its taking me a while to catch on. I'm not good at wiring diagrams and understanding through words. I gotta see it in front of me in 3D for it to make sense. I appreciate your patience.

You are correct, the starter has to have some sort of built in solenoid if it doesnt have a separate stand alone one. Follow the wire thats connected to the starter, it should go to a solenoid.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok looks like I got it figured out! I ended up only needing to run a new ground wire from the battery, and connected a small hot wire spliced into the small wire in back of the starter relay plug that goes to what will be the starter button. Then another wire from that starter button with an inline 30 amp fuse to the positive terminal on the battery and it turned over! WHEW! Really didnt think Id ever get it figure out. Basically somewhere along the lines either the ground to the killswitch or the positive for the starter button was bad so I just ran new ones and now I think Im out of the woods. Still gotta get it to run but the prognosis looks mich better. Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts