Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's going on. I have a 06 gsxr1000 that I plan to use for road trips and other misc rides. I bought track fairings for it because they were cheaper than piecing together a set of stock fairings. Problem is I don't know what to use for a headlight since I'd rather not cut a hole in the fairing to use a stock headlight. Light output needs to be good though since I will be doing a lot of night riding. Any ideas?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,276 Posts
Ratio that this bike will be "on road" vs "on track"?

You could come up with a million tiny and cheap spot lights to mount just about anywhere if they will only spend 10% of their time actually on the bike

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do want to do a track day on a big bike so maybe once or twice a year. The rest will be on the street. Since I have other bikes like the Duke that would be more fun blasting around town I suppose this would be about 30/70 track/street. I plan to use this as my road trip bike so I'll be putting a lot of miles on at night.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,276 Posts
The problem with those is its so tight between the nose and the fender and the inside fairing to the fork legs. Nowhere to really tuck anything in

Might look horrible, but what about small PIAA spots up where turn signals would go on other bikes

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I'm not sure how functional those air intakes in the nose are, but if you can get away with it I'd do something like the R1M and sneak a pair of projectors in there.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem with those is its so tight between the nose and the fender and the inside fairing to the fork legs. Nowhere to really tuck anything in

Might look horrible, but what about small PIAA spots up where turn signals would go on other bikes
That's where I was originally planning to tuck some lights but after looking at photos like the one you posted I'm stumped again. I was planning to run stock looking mirrors and keep the turn signals up there but that still leaves the lights. I'd rather mount the lights in front of the fairings like the old endurance bikes than poking out on the sides.

I'm not sure how functional those air intakes in the nose are, but if you can get away with it I'd do something like the R1M and sneak a pair of projectors in there.

That's a idea. Although I have a feeling I will probably only be be able to get something like a 1.5" or maybe a 2" round light in there without cutting away some fairing. I only have one of the ram air tubes anyway. Haha

I did 3 last year on the Duke and had a blast. Talking with a friend about going racing this year or next which is why I might only do a few track days and the rest I guess I was considering race days?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
I was planning to run stock looking mirrors
Can you integrate some LED spot lights into the mirrors? I'm thinking of the GSXR mirrors with the signals built in.

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you integrate some LED spot lights into the mirrors? I'm thinking of the GSXR mirrors with the signals built in.
I planned to leave the turn signals in the mirrors.
This ^

Turn signals are for nancy boys
Turn signals help you cover your ass when dumbass in the car says they didn't see you.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
What about some PIAA lights pushed out front old school endurance racing style?

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts

Later, Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts