Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, more advice than help needed...

Looking to buy a Michigan-titled bike. I live in NY and have no idea what a Michigan title looks like, and more importantly, not sure how to know right away if it is a salvage title or not.

Please advise me on Michigan state titles and title transfers.

Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
Salvage titles always have -SALVAGE- printed pretty conspicuously on them. Just ask the seller of the bike if it has a clear title. That's something they should include in the ad or listing anyway.

NY will take forever and a fucking day to process out of state titles. My Z came from Mass and while they put the reg through as normal, it took me almost a year to get the new NY title. Same story with a bike I bought from RI. Be prepared for the lady at DMV to look at an out of state title like it's written in Mandarin and have to talk to 6 different "supervisors" to get it put through.

NY requires a special inspection before they will re-title a salvage vehicle. It's a huge pain in the ass. It takes forever to schedule one, you need to have receipts for any part that looks new, the vin/motor must match the mso (or have receipts proving a replacement engine was legally obtained), and it must be able to pass a NY inspection absolutely by the book---meaning stock exhaust, all DOT approved lights, ect. It costs a couple hundred bucks last I heard and virtually nobody passes on the first try.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got some pics of the title and it looks clear.

I have titled out of state bikes here, just not from Michigan specifically. Last one was a VA title and it took about 3 months.

In this case, time is not a big deal because the frame is only the first piece of the project.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Ya it's pretty clear if it's salvaged. I think they are a non-green color too. The standard ones are green.

Still gotta watch out. I've bought salvage titled cars/bikes from indiana and then got them titled in Michigan and they sent me a standard title.

You buying a whole bike or just a frame?

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts