Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@Honda guys. Need advice on a bike/base for a build.

Name's Tyler, from the mid-west (St.Louis specifically). And as soon as my suspended license and legal-fees get taken care of I'm looking to buy a bike.

Variables in the equation.
1. I want it to be a Honda
2. Preferably around the 600 range give or take.
3. By the time I get my license back and my lawyer makes some municipalities happy with my, I'll be looking at around a 1500-2400 dollar fund to start sourcing a bike.

I'm new to bikes, but I pick up quick. All I'm asking for is some quick advice on a few possible base bikes that would be worth investing time, money, etc into.

Thanks for the time,

@MODS if this needs to be moved to a "New Member's/Introduction" forum that's fine, but I don't have a bike or pictures of anything with a motor except my Integra. So, figured I would throw it in here.

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
I'm not from the US so I have no idea what is available in your country and at what prices.
But, you want a Honda? And around 600cc?......Do I smell a CBR?
Yeah, it's a really tough question to answer having just gone thru that all with getting the bike I just got.
I started a thread asking for help deciding a bike. I had heaps of opinions, but because I'm in another country, a lot of the opinions didn't apply....
I think you really shouldn't limit yourself to a Honda though. When you get sorted just look at all the bikes in your price range. You might find a Kawasaki in better nic for the smae price.....
So my vote is for the bike in the best condition for your price range.....

·
157 Posts
every body has there opinions find what you like and if you can afford it get it make sure it fits you the way you ride if its comfortable there you go and remember looks can be changed

·
God Of Wires
237 Posts
600cc Honda... That'd be a CBR. If your gonna go that route, grab up an '07 RR. Strictly from a numbers stand point they're the fastest in there class. Over in our camp we're running a 600 GSXR, 600 & 750 Ninja, an R6, and a CBR600RR and a CBR1000RR. The CBR is the fastest in city, and second only to the 1000 on the freeway. Not to say that its the bike to have or anything, just saying a 600 Honda sportbike (assuming you wanted sport) is a CBR. There are a lot of really nice bikes out there. And its not hard to get into trouble on a modern 600. It sounds like you already have legal trouble... maybe you should consider a smaller easier to ride bike. Like a Nighthawk or a 250/500 Ninja, or a GS500. You can have a lot of fun on a smaller bike and really learn to ride before you jump up to a bike designed for experienced riders. Yes, people can and do learn to ride on them every year. And every year those lacking in common sense make a couple min. of news story, and maybe a cool stain on the road. And add weight to all the anti-motorcycle arguments out there. I don't know your legal troubles, but are you sure you have enough common sense all the time to handle that bike? I'd rather buy a small bike and live to find a bigger better one, than get the fastest thing I can afford in hopes my family can part it out for enough to pay for my casket. But I've been riding since I was three and have been to stupid and back with the the scars to prove it. Most of the veterans on here are the same way. I don't know Rob personally, but I know he's a skilled and wise rider. Ratfighter is finishing a build right now after a bad wreck, and has a friend who wrecked and paid a horrendous price. And our Fallen Fighterers section is full of mature riders, experienced riders, who's bodies, machines, or sense failed them at at time when they were called upon to pay the ultimate price. Don't let that dissuade you from buying a bike, but remember that the cost isn't always monetary and that you're preparing to buy into a bad situation every time you wanna screw around on two wheels. We'll all live through you dying, but you won't.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, appreciate the replies. Legal trouble has consisted of a couple minor traffic violations that I put off, they turned to warrant and it came back to bite. Night in jail and some lawyer fee's later, I learned my lesson about putting off tickets. I drive a Milano Red GSR that's about 2 inches off the ground, so any other issues with the police simply come from being profiled. Nothing serious, no felonies, and only one speeding ticket.

I considered a smaller bike, but. The other concern is, I'm 6'3'' and not looking for anything tiny. The rr, is nice and I could probably find one that's been laid down and throw away the fairings. After the advice I looked at the Suzuki SV's and Kawasaki ZX6's. I prefer the RR's but I'm looking at my options.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Get a ninja 650 or a sv650, they're not really beginner bikes but they're a whole lot more forgiving then a 600rr or a zx6r. Get some miles behind you and learn what you like about motorcycles then find the right bike for you.

·
Cant leave shit alone!
1,320 Posts
Bro, I had an SE-R spec V that trailered my XR400R and a buddies DR400 everytime we went to ride. Just whatever you decide to do, don't let your ego get in the way and get something "cool" and end up a skid mark in the road. Be smart, be safe, but have a blast doing it...:party-smiley:

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
I had a CBR f4 nice starter bike fer you mate ,you will probly find em around tha $2300 mark,
probly a 99 ...Good luck and be fussy its still a buyers market bro ..Ask any qwestions ya need here ,we will al try ta help ya ...

·
God Of Wires
237 Posts
Hey, Shimttens, what year DR400? Like the DRZ models, or the older ones? I love DR's, sorry.

Metal Balls: I wasn't trying to disrespect you and I can certainly see the need for a bigger bike for you. You deff do want a bigger machine cause theres a lot of you to haul around. I would just hate to see you get hurt or die on your first bike and thats why I recommended against the CBR. They are incredible bikes, but they really are damn near race ready right off the show room floor, and are not very forgiving. I've watched my friend try to take off and get his back tire spin at over 100 mph while the bike did about 10. He's a bit of an idiot on two wheels. Look around at "sport touring" bikes. They are usually more forgiving. Also bikes like a Bandit, or the SV line, or the Nighthawks. They all come in bigger displacements, and are very nice and make awesome projects. Theres also a lot of support for them. Where do you live? I may be able to help you out on the towing for gas money. +10 for the dirt bike idea. Get a big thumper and learn your way around two wheels. A lot of us started that way. Hell, I'll give you one better, grab up a mid to late 90's, like '97-99, DR350SE. Its a dual sport, so you can learn to ride and have a back up street machine as well as a dirt bike. There are some great mods out there for it too. Its still small enough to be nimble off road, they're a blast in the city, and have just enough power to have fun with. They're also cheap, unlike the DRZ400/DRZ400SM. That'd be a great bike too if you could afford it. The DR3's are easy to find between 900-1.2k. The 250 is too weak imo, and the 650 is too massive.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm all up for criticism and help, @MX Good Times I really appreciate the concern. And the time for the replies and options you're throwing out. I'm not looking to get killed or kill any particular part of my body any time soon. So, any and all advice I appreciate. Because I'd love to make bikes a lifetime thing, and preferably not an intensely short lifetime either. I live in Saint Louis by the way, smack-dab in the middle of the midwest. Just got my forms in the mail today, hopefully should have my license back in around 3 weeks.

·
12 Posts
I'm a newbie i've only passed my license for a year now and my first bike to start of EVER i mean other than a bicycle was a k3 GSXR 600... i was warned about jumping up that quick and so on... But it handles well i've learned alot from it and i think its a great bike to start off with... To add i've only came off it once and that was on my first day when i was trying to run before walking hehehe... but again it is what you make of it of yes a K3 only costed 2700 pounds!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts