Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this here, along with another forum that I won't mention just in case I'm not aloud to say names, because I need this solved ASAP.

I have a 1999 zx9r SF. the radiator started leaking, and got progressively worse to a steady stream. well I ordered a 1995 zx6r radiator online, but came across one problem.

the 1995 zx6r has an air cooled oil cooler, and my zx9r is liquid cooled.

how do I adapt the zx6r radiator to work with my zx9r liquid cooled oil cooler!?

please help, the bike being down is a serious inconvenience being it's my only ride.

Can I drill and tap the zx6r radiator and connect a line running to the zx9r oil cooler? Now my mind is wondering if there is enough contact with the radiator to put a hole in and be sturdy. PLEASE HELP ME!!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
huh? I'm beyond confused...slow down, post pics, relax a little.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
He wants to know if he can modify an oil cooler to work as a water radiator for his water-cooled ZX.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Where is your radiator leaking at? is it leaking from one of the tubes? If it is you can possibly pinch it off at each end until you find the right radiator.

What it sounds like you are saying is your zx9 radiator has 4 lines. Coolant in/out and oil in/out. Or does your oil cooler on the 9 really have coolant lines running to it? Hopefully someone with a 9r will chime in cause i dont have a definite answer for you but pictures would certainly help.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm posting pics in about 3 minutes. My Niner has 2 coolant lines connected straight to the oil cooler, one going in, one coming out. the one going out I have to trace down, because im not quite sure where it leads! It goes under the tank and When i've stripped the bike down I've honestly not paid too much attention to it. I'll find out tonight though.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here is the Niner Radiator. looks like crap, she's a little bent, and you can see where the fan was lol.

Here is the zx6r radiator.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's leaking somewhere from the top right of the picture, it's really hard to trace down because it flows pretty freely, especially under pressure.is there a good way to check? because I do like the idea of just pinching off one of the coils, as long as it doesn't overheat. I didn't realize the Rad was so bent up though, It might be more than one!

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no the zx6 radiator does not have an oil cooler in it, it is externally located underneath, looks identical but flows with oil, air cooled also. I'm wondering if the zx6 radiator will flow by drilling and tapping it toward the bottom.

also, since it's at the bottom, would that mean it's going in or out? or does the height not matter, just which side of the radiator the hole is on

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
The oil lines going into your 9r radiator are totally separate from the coolant. You can not drill into the 6r radiator. My guess is there is probably a single tube that coils back and forth a few times in just the end tank of the radiator. If its trash you might want to cut the end tank off and just take a look.

The 6r radiator looks a whole lot smaller in terms of surface area. I dont know if your 9r will have an over heating problem but its something you should keep an eye on. I would just pick up an external cooler like the one from the 6r and mount that as well. Or find a 9r radiator.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the oil lines going into the radiator are coolant lines. maybe you know this and you are making a different point? by no means am I being snide

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with mounting an external air cooled oil cooler is that I can't find anywhere the oil cooler that plugs into the oil cooler radiator, for the 6r radiator.

I can't use the oil cooler I have now, because It's meant for coolant to pass threw the oil cooler. I'd have to buy some kind of adapter that will allow oil to flow in and out, to the air cooled oil radiator.

or something like that. I'm a newb at radiators, I've learned quite a bit about 'em today haha

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it possible to make an adapter, to split a line coming out of the radiator into two, so one of the lines can go into the oil cooler? if so, then I can use the zx6r radiator no problem

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Its starting to come back to me now. Are the coolant lines going down to the oil filter base? You should be able to T lines coming from your radiator lines but the problem is im not sure how they are routed inside the radiator. You would probably need to T one off the inlet on the left side and one off the outlet on the right side. I saw your other post about the z1000 radiator. I think youd be better off finding one of those if you can. I just looked at a pic of one and it has the cooler lines coming off it and since the z1000 is a modded zx9 engine id be more confident about the cooling ability.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the Oil cooler, located right behind the filter.

Yes, I would like to get the z1000 radiator, eventually I will. but at the cost of $300 used, it's a little pricey right now. I'm trying to do this bike on a budget. of course, you get what you paid for, chances are im going to have to pay almost as much to get this $100 dollar radiator to work.

the bottom line on the cooler goes to the right side of the radiator, and I'm going to go back out there and pull the gas tank off to trace down the top line.

·
The Demon
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I traced the top line coming OUT of the Cooler/filter, it taps into a larger radiator hose coming from the block, which goes straight into the water pump and back into the radiator. so basically, all of the coolant that flows through the cooler, mixes into the rest of everything.

so I only have to tap one line, and that would be either the large hose coming out of the radiator on the right hand side below the fill plug, or somewhere further down the path of that hose.

I'm going to try to brainstorm some genius way to tap into that hose, and if any of you have an idea how I can do this, chime in.

Matt, thanks a lot for helping me out with all this. You have helped solve a lot of questions, and I learned quite a bit more about my bike tonight.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
See, now it all makes sense...the pictures are worth blah blah blah :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.