Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now don't get me wrong here I'm loving my new bike! But I'm kinda disappointed in the stock sound of my new machine...I mean one off the things that made me fall in love with the buells is "that sound" but in stock form its pathetic!

So what I've done so far is a simple mod of cutting the can open and drilling into the pipe inside(diagram below)
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1373991343.215844.jpg
Arrows show the access hole, the dot is the (1")hole in the pipe allowing the exhaust a shorter route, now the hole isn't big enough to allow all the exhaust out just some

The other easy option I've found to get some sound out of er is to disconnect the interactive exhaust cable at the airbox servo, pull it out so the exhaust flap is wide open and zip tie it in place so it is always open, here is a YouTube of a bike like mine with the flap open
http://youtu.be/OZ4x5jB3gNg

I like how that one sounds! But my issue is....

Do you think I will run into problems by combining these to mods?

Should I seal the hole I drilled?(which would be a pain)

I don't want to do anything that will damage or shorten the lifespan of my new toy

What do you guys think?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
youll be fine. i have seen quite a few buells with straight pipes and those hypercharger kinda intakes with no other mods and they have lived a long life

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro! Yeah I was just looking at the diagram and when the exhaust valve is open it has an even shorter path than the hole I drilled, I just don't know much about these bikes and wanted a second opinion....ur right I think I'll be good to go

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
You're really in the wrong place... www.badweatherbikers.com is the place for this sort of thing. I recall a lot of threads and info regarding can hacking... I think the guy who I pointed you to in the other thread even has directions on how he does his - search Special OPS.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seen those guys, I'll look into them a little deeper when I'm ready to start chopping, just figured I'd ask here first to see if what I'm planning to do is a bad move

Turns out the exhaust valve was really just for emissions any way, from what I understand the R version doesn't even have the valve

Thanks anyway guys :)

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I seen those guys, I'll look into them a little deeper when I'm ready to start chopping, just figured I'd ask here first to see if what I'm planning to do is a bad move

Turns out the exhaust valve was really just for emissions any way, from what I understand the R version doesn't even have the valve

Thanks anyway guys :)

Yeah, if you disconnect it though you'll get a dummy light on your dash... the ECM flash can get rid of that IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Ok time for a harley/buell service tech to chime in. This valve is know in the yamaha World as EXUP it gives you a bit more torque in the bottom end and better acceleration then opens up at higher rpm to let her breathe better. Leave it alone. Unless you want all your torque to flush down the toilet for sound and not much either. If you want sound get a better bolt on can. They are designed to work better than stock and some use the valve and some not. Either way leave it in

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't intend on totally removeing anything....in the process of doing this the servo that controls the valve stays plugged in(electrically) its just the cable that is disconnected and pulled to a position where the valve is always open

I totally get ya on losing the low end torque, I also figured the same thing but I've heard tale of a few that have done this for the same reason of lacking funds for the spendy slipons, most have said the only change in the bike was smoother low speed traveling(25mph and below) making the bike less jumpy through town and such but no noticeable loss in torque..

yes if the servo is unplugged(electrically)it will throw an error code and a light

My main concern was combining the two changes I mention, but after studying the diagram I see that by opening the exhaust valve it renders my first mod useless and in fact would allow some of the exhaust to circulate through where it's originally suppose to go

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Well like i said dont disconnect it either save uo your cash and dint modify it. Its not worth it. Your engine is designed for it. In the long run you'll be sorry you did. I have seen so many bikes where someone did this and later wish thry hadn't. You need that low end back pressure. There is a lot more technical shit riding on that than you think
Trust me. You'll wish you had left it alone when you're replaceing exhaust valves and your pistons burn up from running to lean. This happens because in the lower end your computer is tuned to give less fuel to compensate. When you open it up you're leaning it out then when you're riding and you go WOT it goes from super hot fron the lean mix to cool from a normal mix. This rapid change back and forth will burn out your pistons and exhaust valves. And like i said there is almost no sound gain at that rpm level. Plus once you give it wot that valve is open so you'll see the extra sound you're hearing is through the intake. So head my warning. In the end it's your bike do what you want

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
yup all the aftermarket exhausts. as long as it is a slip on you will be ok because these are designed to work with the exup removed (most of them have a special baffled system) this helps with keeping the lower back pressure. you could also use a power commander and retune the whole range to keep the fuel curve straight then you can use what you want with no worries. just keep in mind the buell system is one of the most sophisticated EFI systems in the world. (later model XB's with O2 sensors) and they are awesome when properly tuned. I had a stock buell with the Screamin eagle super tuner (harley's ecu tuner) and started with about 75-80 RWHP and just fuel curve tuning we cranked out an extra 20 RWHP with the stock exhaust, then swapped out for a V&H Pro Pipe, tuned it again and got an extra 8 on top the other 20 and that pro pipe is one loud mean son of a bitch. so i fou need any help let me know. I'll step down from my soap box now.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Mine came with an ECMspy, I assume that if I replace the exhaust I have now, I"ll need to do a new program on there? Is the V&H Pro pipe your recommendation for sound and power? Just curious. THanks for all your wisdom amigo!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Mine came with an ECMspy, I assume that if I replace the exhaust I have now, I"ll need to do a new program on there? Is the V&H Pro pipe your recommendation for sound and power? Just curious. THanks for all your wisdom amigo!
the pro pipe is what you would use for the most power you can get (its designed for drag racing) and it is OMG Loud you will need ear plugs while riding

oh i just found out its not called the pro pipe that is another (looking on youtube the one i used was the competition series it was modified from a sportster to fit the buell i am looking for a really nice one for you.

ok here is a good one from D&D its a dual exit pipe. very nice and Made in Texas

here is a video of it

and more info on it
http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/buell

have fun boys

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
that is pretty beefy! Mine has the Hawk exhaust mod and the sound is pretty beefy as well. I'm on the fence as to whether or not moving to the DD will be a noticeable difference from the Hawks, etc. Damn these have such a beautiful note! When I was on the base the other day I was talking to another soldier that was on an R6, of course he was afraid that the Buell would fall apart because of all the rattling and said that the sound was too loud, etc. I was so happy to hear all these and many other "has no idea what he's talking about" comments.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
Keep in mind what with all of the aftermarket exhaust options, you lose your jack point. Not a big deal for most, but after tearing mine down on my shitty HF motorcycle/atv jack, I fell in love with that option.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've also heard buells run lean but I can smell excess fuel from mine everytime I come to a stop, what gives?

Anyway, I tried out this mod today and yes there is a big difference in the sound all the way through the low and mid range, so much so that I might not ever buy an after market can....ahh who am I kidding I love the sound of the jardine! Maybe some day when I can afford it....till the I might reattach the cable...I might not....doing this stopped it from being so "jumpy" in town just as many said it would, I seen no loss in torque or power at all

But I'll have to do some more research, I've talked to quite a few buell owners that have been running this way for over 2 years with no ill effect

1 - 20 of 38 Posts