Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a problem with some wiring on my xr400. I got the bike in parts and it came with a baja kit in a bag. Now I have the bike back together and hooked up the baja kit but when I start the bike the lights wont come on. A buddy looked at it and said it might be the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. Any one know how to check this? Im not that good with electrical issues.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I dont knw what Baja lights are. But lights just have a +12 and gnd on them. so see if they are getting voltage. The R/R converts rotational engine motion into electricity. It would not affect the lights. However if its not working then the battery will not charge, and so the bike will die quick. You can google "diode regulator test" as R/R is usually 6 diodes and it will show you step by step how to do the test.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
headlights should be wired through starting circuit. they are killed to start to allow more oomph to start. id start there.

·
GIVE THEM THE GOOD NEWS!
107 Posts
Might sound silly but make sure you are earthed correctly, I wired up my HID's the other week and they didn't work and it was as simple as connecting the earth wire to the frame and it worked sweet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
XR uses AC power right?
Baja kit uses LEDS? not sure if they will work without a dc reg/rectifier.. Just guessing here

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XR uses AC power right?
Baja kit uses LEDS? not sure if they will work without a dc reg/rectifier.. Just guessing here
I got a really old kit has regular bulbs. The rectifier converts the AC to DC that way you can add a battery. All bikes have one for this purpose

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thought the headlight on the XR's received AC voltage
either way, with normal bulbs this isnt your problem

Have you put a multimeter to see what sort of volts your getting at the light connector?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts