Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I found a bike i might get on craigslist (my first) and im not too sure if its worth buying. it has 53k miles the owner says it runs and all but you can never really trust someone trying to get money from you. It is a 1998 CBR F3 600, how easy is it to work on this bike? i can give you more information if you need it but i was wondering if i should go ahead and purchase the bike and if so what a reasonable price would be.:confused:

Attachments

·
Kapitalist Kunt
887 Posts
If its not local to you get one of the bike shops local to him to do a pre purchase inspection for you.

You book it in and pay for the report he just takes the bike there for the inspection. That way they're working for you not him.

If it is local go and check it out.

Oh and as for price? As low as you can get him to take depending on the condition etc

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than 1500, what's he asking?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,052 Posts
give us the link to the ad, and the collective can start digging in. sometimes if you have multiple people do some digging, the guy may have some "inconsistencies" in his stories.

it works well to weed out the lying bastards

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the guy said he didnt purchase the hardware yet that is needed to replace the fairings. he also said he rides it to the gas station and around the neighborhood to keep it from just sitting

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he is also asking 1400 for it i semi talked him down tho i have a friend who rides and i asked him if he would take it for a test ride for me since im new to all of this and dont really know what to look for in a good running bike hopefully the guy didnt sell it already i feel like i should of jumped on this a couple days ago :/

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
F3s make piss poor Fighters.
Thats my 2 cents.
I'd look for a late 80s to early 90s Gsxr750 or 1100.
Bandit 12s are good to.
Lots around and there's loads of Fighter bits for em.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,052 Posts
IMO from talking to the dude..........

1. it's been ridden hard
2. it seems mechanically solid
3. $1400 is way too fuckin much especially when the tank is bashed in

offer him $800 cash and go from there

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO from talking to the dude..........

1. it's been ridden hard
2. it seems mechanically solid
3. $1400 is way too fuckin much especially when the tank is bashed in

offer him $800 cash and go from there
ok thanks alot ill talk to him tomorrow hopefully i dont end up with a pile of scrap metal after all this

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill let you guys know how it goes. i did call and get a quote for insurance that made me happy! 125 for a full year! way better than a car haha

·
CF Pitbull
1,477 Posts
Ok..If you can't make it to the bike to run it /ride it and don't have any friends out that way that you trust enough to do it for you than don't bother with it.
They are great bikes that you could dump a motor into for 300 and change with less miles.
If the frame is straight as well as the forks and the bike runs with a clean title than take it.
But DO NOT give him any more than a grand. If he trys to fight that tell him to keep it.
If you need to give him a reason for the price tell him that you can buy that bike in good shape with the plastics on and less miles all day long for 1400.
Ebay off the plastics and you just made back some of what you spent. Not to mention the 400 you cut off the price can be used to fix up just about anything on that bike.Or buy you a motor with less miles.
Just my 2cents

·
Change or Die
991 Posts
53,000 miles, going on 13 years old and ridden hard... $500 would be a fair price.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok..If you can't make it to the bike to run it /ride it and don't have any friends out that way that you trust enough to do it for you than don't bother with it.
They are great bikes that you could dump a motor into for 300 and change with less miles.
If the frame is straight as well as the forks and the bike runs with a clean title than take it.
But DO NOT give him any more than a grand. If he trys to fight that tell him to keep it.
If you need to give him a reason for the price tell him that you can buy that bike in good shape with the plastics on and less miles all day long for 1400.
Ebay off the plastics and you just made back some of what you spent. Not to mention the 400 you cut off the price can be used to fix up just about anything on that bike.Or buy you a motor with less miles.
Just my 2cents
you just boosted my confidence with buying this bike man n hey im from jerz also central jersey Keyport by sandy hook

·
"Detonation"
1,034 Posts
i baught a 95 f3 with like 58,000 miles on it and loved every second of that bike, Ran Solid but did have to replace the exaust as the downpipes rotted threw and the cam chain tensioner had to be replaced, i payed like £400 i think if i remember right which i think is about $600 atm ????

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I ended up not buying the bike i actually didnt even go check it out because i found a good deal on a 2001 ford ranger 95k miles 4 cylinder and spent my cash on that so atleast ill have my own truck to go pick up toys with in a few weeks hopefully this thing doesnt explode on me :LolLolLolLol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts