Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
n00b extraordinaire
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pulled up to the gas station today and realized that my gas cap absolutely would not come up.
I had just enough to get home, but I basically destroyed it trying to get it off. What a terrible design.

Anyway, I dont think there is anything I can really do based on the shape of the fuel tank, and Im trying to use it as a DD so I just want to get it back on the road.

I cant seem to figure out a part number, and I did tons of searching and came up with these. The bike is an '84 Suzuki GN250 as well (titled as an '85).

All of these look like they should fit, but I am pretty unfamiliar with vintage motorcycles and have NO idea if they changed the sizes around making them incompatible.

This one says it will fit an 1982-1983 GN250, but again I can only assume (and its fucking $80 for a fuel cap).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Ta...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f270acfd2&vxp=mtr

THIS is the one I want to pull the trigger on tonight, so I can hopefully get it early next week (It looks exactly the fucking same to me)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-SUZUKI-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3dcefa39&vxp=mtr

And I was wondering if this would somehow fit (doubtful but worth a shot). I dont want a fucking lock on my gas cap :doh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Gas-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c70038a01&vxp=mtr

Aftermath of the old cap:

Plz help me get this thing back on the road :/

EDIT:
Also, can I duct tape the shit out of the old cap to at least ride it in the meantime? Keep it at half tank so it doesnt try to spill out too much?

·
n00b extraordinaire
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I am going to take my chances on the ebay one with the hopes that I will be able to ride next week. I'll give the guys at Sun Honda a call tomorrow and see if I can get a part number off it (none written on the ones I have found).

In the meantime, the cap is still mostly in tact as well as the o-ring. Think it would be OK to use gobs of duct/gorilla tape on it? There is a clearcoat over the metal though - I may end up having to re-do the tank if the tape fucks it up.

I am surprised this isnt a more common problem/part as I cant find a single aftermarket new one in the states (all from china), NOS ones are damn expensive, and the used ones in the US are still around $50+. Ridiculous for a mass produced and terribly designed part.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
pretty much any cap from the gn, gs, or gr series will fit. all the gs series caps from that era are interchangeable, and they swap with the gr series just fine. the first one you posted says it will fit the gn and gs series. just make sure whatever one you get comes with a key

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.