Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this floating around the net....quite an interesting machine here, and pretty sexy I'd say.

Steel trellis frame, inverted air cooled 2000cc engine, carbon swing arm..
Sounds crazy?
Sounds very outside the box to me and that’s what I like.
The bike is built and designed by Daniele ‘Titus’ Sabatini at Nembo Motociclette in Italy with the
philosophy : “less is more except for power and torque”.

Designed around the “Super 32 Rovescio” engine, also a Nembo Motociclette creation, the Super 32 has some quite nice features.
The frame is split in front and back with the engine block as a stressed part, the carbon fiber swing arm holds a carbon fiber wheel and the rear suspension is a Silvano Bellapadrona designed air suspension system.
Up front we find a similar carbon wheel and a more traditional 50mm USD fork

It is not correct to say that the engine is up side down, it was designed this way for several reasons, two of them being that the air cooled cylinders get good wind exposure, and that the crank case which is a stressed member
of the chassie has a favorable position in the layout, the swing arm is bolted solely in the crank case.
Data on the current prototype engine:

4 stroke – 3 cylinders – complying with Euro 3 emissions norms.
Bore : 100 [mm]
Stroke : 77 [mm]
Displacement : 1814 [cc] – 110.7 cubic inches
Compression ratio : 10.5 : 1
Valvetrain : SO(U)HC (single over(under) head camshaft)
Number of valves : 2 valves per cylinder
Cooling system : air/oil cooled
Lubricating oil system: dry sump
Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
Transmission : 6 speed
Maximum power : 160 [bhp] @ 7000 [rpm]
Maximum torque : 17 [kgm] @ 5250 [rpm] (MISTAKE??? Whats that in ft/lbs)
Maximum engine speed : 7500 [rpm]
Weight : 90 [kg]

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A lot of nice machine work and parts on this machine for sure. I wonder how it rides? I would think with the "upside down" engine that the weight would be much higher on the bike giving it a very top heavy feel when cornering?

The exhaust is fucking crazy looking....how far are the gases travelling before their exit? up and over and thru the motor then down and out??? :confused:

Anyone know if this mounting of the engine upside down has been used before? successfully?

Reactions: ultimate fighter

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I have never heard of an inverted engine, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Overall the bike looks great. Nice and clean, but there's not much to clutter it up when there's no lighting of any kind on it. The harness must be just enough to make the engine run.

With the exhaust I was looking at the lack of muffler more than anything. I wonder if they have the engine tuned to not need any kind of back pressure, or maybe it's got some trick internal baffling in there somewhere OR maybe the rollercoaster they call the exhaust winds around everything enough to create decent back pressure without a muffler at all.

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
17kgm is 123ftlb, so it's got torque.

the engine is based on an old air cooled 911 engine, although I imagine it probably doesn't share any parts.

Reactions: 929_adam

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I think what you're seeing as headers in the front is actually the intake, the exhaust appears to come out the back of the cylinders, take a look at the CAD drawing. I'd imagine that having all that high speed rotating mass that high up in the frame would be tipsy. When you blipped the throttle wouldn't it tend to lurch upwards and forwards, could make for some interesting corner exits. I'm wondering about the oiling, does the oil collect in the heads?
Weird design, quite certain it was done just to be different, which is silly cause I'll bet it cost a fuck-ton of money to have that engine made just to be weird.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I think the rotating mass located high up would actually make the bike harder to turn, you've effectively moved a gyroscope right to the middle of the bike.

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Looks fucking great... But yeah, it's gotta ride different with the engine like that....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts