Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TALK SHIT, GET HIT! :thumbsup: hahahaha

But no seriously :mom:.... let's talk about it.:doh:

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
really glad to see this bike again. I think you have some good motivation to make something really cool. Good luck

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
You did some serious work. Those COP's look sweet and I'm liking the stance. Sucks that the front end was a pain the fit.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: NeverEnough

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
Thanks man! Much appreciated, I really hope I can come through on the high quality work I have planned in my head.

Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tootootoo ;):D

fixed it for you

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You did some serious work. Those COP's look sweet and I'm liking the stance. Sucks that the front end was a pain the fit.

Later, Doug

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
DWing man! I'm really excited about those COPs, now just hopefully I don't so excited about them that I screw them up like I did the front end haha :doh:

fixed it for you
I'm hoping to eventually fix this one with VROoom, PSHHHT, VROOOOOM PSHHHHT :nuts:

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Some internal baffles or routing might help keep an even air distribution to each carburetor intake. The other thing you could do is make a set of intake scoops for each side of the box where it meets the frame that help funnel in more air. You could work the lines of them in with your custom tank so everything flows nice and neat.

Heat in the garage is my next home project! Keep up the good work!

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some great work in a short period of time!!!Liking this a lot.Keep it going.:thumbsup:
Thanks man! I've been EXTREMELY lucky with my work/real job hours lately and have had a lot of extra time that I've been sure to take advantage of!

Some internal baffles or routing might help keep an even air distribution to each carburetor intake. The other thing you could do is make a set of intake scoops for each side of the box where it meets the frame that help funnel in more air. You could work the lines of them in with your custom tank so everything flows nice and neat.

Heat in the garage is my next home project! Keep up the good work!

hmmm ok cool thanks!
My first concern I thought would be how the air is angled into in a sense across/into the carbs instead of being drawn directly down like how it is in the stock airbox.
I drew this up real quickly in MSpaint for an idea that I have for completed "airbox" The green being a tube routed to each carb intake separately yet still housed in the airbox, and the blue being the airfilter.
----(side note, the airfilter housing would be much larger, just was limited to the size due to the picture, actual size of the "airbox" would be down the rest of the length of the frame, roughly 8" )
I'll for sure have to look into a intake scoop like you mentioned...I agree that really could look pretty nice if done right, would be a bit of ram air intake even haha.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: NeverEnough's Superbad-idea, ZX900rr

tight. I too can sympathize with the non-heated work space. nice welder and keep up the great work!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
:fu:That's just not fair posting up a vid of a bike that won't run! I always get giddy when a bike fires for the first time, mine or not. Sucks man, air fuel spark, the golden triangle should have made smoke. What now? Timing?

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
tight. I too can sympathize with the non-heated work space. nice welder and keep up the great work!
Thanks man I love my little mig, it definitely does what I need!
BTW...you got flipped off so many times from posting in the BUILD section, keep comments in this DISCUSSION thread, it makes it easier for people to follow the build when just build posts are posted in one section and comments in the other.

extend the airbox to the sides of the motor, or relocate the carbs with longer intake boot runners
Not sure I follow about extending the airbox to the sides?
Relocating will probably happen if a good setup can not be accomplished, and will also probably happen when it gets turboed as I don't feel how it is now would be very optimal at all.

:fu:That's just not fair posting up a vid of a bike that won't run! I always get giddy when a bike fires for the first time, mine or not. Sucks man, air fuel spark, the golden triangle should have made smoke. What now? Timing?
haha golden triangle indeed! uhm as for what now I'm still kind of leaning on it being because it has sat for so many years, and carbs just cleaned, as well as I wasn't exactly using clean and fresh/new fuel lines. I tried using carb cleaner for a starter, but I'll be picking up some starter fluid for it in the morning since I was all out.
Fingers crossed I can get it to start tomorrow....if not I'll just kick it over and set it on fire :mad: lol

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
check your valve clearances buddy.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
check your valve clearances buddy.
Yeah I might have to check on it..... compression was good but you never know....

------------as of right now though I am ready to set the MOFO on fire :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: It still will not start. Plugs are getting wet, plugs all have a fat blue spark, compression is good. WTF?!?!?!!!!
Bad CDI?
I even changed out the pulse generator for a bit better one. I'm at 490ohm instead of 473
Plugs are CR8...calls for CR9.... arghhh sdafjhfgiuhdfkjghf START MUTHERFAWKER!!!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Don't know what to suggest to you man, I don't know enough about bikes to think of anything you haven't already done, it sounds like you've more than covered the bases with your checks. Hope you get a solution soon, just wanted to by drop a message for moral support!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Have you checked the timing? Does it at least fire every once and a while? Not sure how the coil set up is but on my KZ it has 2 coils for 4 cylinders. If you wire them up backwards you get the spark on the exhaust stroke not compression=no run.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't know what to suggest to you man, I don't know enough about bikes to think of anything you haven't already done, it sounds like you've more than covered the bases with your checks. Hope you get a solution soon, just wanted to by drop a message for moral support!
haha thanks man.... You wanna bring the petrol and matches? lol

Have you checked the timing? Does it at least fire every once and a while? Not sure how the coil set up is but on my KZ it has 2 coils for 4 cylinders. If you wire them up backwards you get the spark on the exhaust stroke not compression=no run.
Yep timing is on point. The coils I have modded to fit are coil on plug, wired in series.
Only thing I can really think of right now that could be wrong after going over EVERYTHING is that the CDI is shot, but yet somehow still sending spark.
Other thing I can also try is putting on my ignition advance rotor off another bike and see if that helps at all....everything checks out that can be checked...I'm at a loss for ideas of what else to do. It won't even stumble or try to start. Just turns over and throws spark but never fires, which sounds like timing, but it isnt adjustable...

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Man it should at fire, try checking it with a timing light on #1 cyl to see if it is out of phase. Ie wrong coil firing. What does it use as a trigger for firing, hall sensor? Post a pic if you can. I too have a hard time believing it is the cdi, they usually work or don't. You did put gas in it and not diesel :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts