Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Josh. I am a firestarter. I live in Maine. I bought my 1992 xj600 about a year ago. I hated how it looked. The color of the tank was my least favorite of the entire color spectrum. It was laid down so the tank was dented, the front fairing cracked, the exhaust pipe dented, the paint faded - I couldn't deal with it. I had thought of tinkering but i knew I had no idea what to do. Finally I found this site and some inspiration.
The first thing I decided to do was to fix the dent and paint the tank. I got rustoleum primer and yellow auto spray paint. I used bondo to fix the dent. By the end of it, I had decided to make a stripe down the middle and it looked like this.

I quickly realized what a n00b job I did, the Yamaha sticker was under the yellow paint, and I didn't know how to do a stripe the right way - it was layers of paint higher than the yellow paint. I was thinking the yellow paint was too bold for me. I happened to go on craigslist.org for the fun of it and someone actually had the vance and hines 4-1 pipes and exhaust. I couldn't miss the opportunity, seeing how I hated the dent on the right side of the bike. Before the winter hit I had removed the original exhaust and tank. I got an electric sander from my uncle. I shredded the yamaha sticker and went with a black/red theme. I also painted the front plastic above the wheel. I slapped that vance and hines pipe on and couldn't wait for the summer again.

During the winter I picked up some equipment: headlightbrackets, a chrome headlight, an aftermarket speedometer, and side-mount mirrors.

I asked a friend who supposedly knew wiring to rig up the speedometer. Bad freakin' idea! He wired everything wrong and blew practically all of the fuses that came with the bike. I couldn't have been more upset. Here I had no idea what to do and it was too late to go back to the original - I cut the wires...

I had the Haynes manual luckily and I sat down with my friend and actually figured out what was hooked up wrong, what wasn't hooked up, and what needed to go to what. It still wasn't over because the speedometer still needed to be placed on the bike, where there was no room for it. We ended up bolting it into the handle bars :D In the end, this is what it looks like. There is more that I would like to do, but I know there are XJ owners out there like me that need some inspiration.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
welcom in mate ,ya done good there! Wereabouts in Maine are ya?

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Looked at yer pic agin and repped ya .:thumbsup:I got one of them SECAs' here and know itsa awkward thing ta fighter fer sure!

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
welcome to CF..

·
1wheelfelons
273 Posts
welcome! Alot of cool people on the site and info to help out around the world all you have to do is ask!

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Welcome in!

Later, Doug

·
Registered
26 Posts
welcom! im new myself and just baught a seca as well. your start is exactly what i was looking for! the cluster looks great and the headlight as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the bike. New paint, used duplicolor engine enamel chrysler orange. The ignition was in the way of moving the headlight up so I moved the ignition to the right.

Got a windscreen.

Moved the speedometer back to where the ignition used to be and all is well. :)

·
PhotoChop Master!
115 Posts
Nicely done so far! Welcome to CF, the thing that's gonna take up that last 10% of your time when you're not at work or working on your bike. (60% work on bike, 30% work, 10% CF)

:cfrocks:

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Welcome in. I've got a 89 xj600 for which
I'm still waiting on the new parts to arrive so
I could start tearing her apart.
Oh and nice bike. Wish you had done something
with the tail, I need ideas :D

Andrew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts