Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 91GSXR 750 with the 7/11 swap started but the previous owner never got the motor to run in the new frame. As far as what it came with the list includes a dynatek dyna 2000 ignition and what appears to be a complete 1100 wiring harness as well as the original 750 wiring harness and a vance and hines power pack that I bebelieve to be from the 750 as well. The coils are suzuki original for the 1100 and the battery and spark plugs have been purchased new by me and installed but there is still no spark. One of my many qquestions is will the 750 wiring harness work with the 1100? And also what all one these bikes is linked to the bike getting spark to the plugs from the cdi box??? Any help is much appreciated and gives me more of a starting point then staring at the wiring diagram blankly for hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have recently purchased a 91GSXR 750 with the 7/11 swap started but the previous owner never got the motor to run in the new frame. As far as what it came with the list includes a dynatek dyna 2000 ignition and what appears to be a complete 1100 wiring harness as well as the original 750 wiring harness and a vance and hines power pack that I bebelieve to be from the 750 as well. The coils are suzuki original for the 1100 and the battery and spark plugs have been purchased new by me and installed but there is still no spark. One of my many qquestions is will the 750 wiring harness work with the 1100? And also what all one these bikes is linked to the bike getting spark to the plugs from the cdi box??? Any help is much appreciated and gives me more of a starting point then staring at the wiring diagram blankly for hours.
As its an 1100 motor, I would swap to the 1100 wiring harness, and fit as many 1100 items as you have, that have to do with the electrical system, CDI, ECU and so on.

Ive never had 1st hand experience with either bike, but reason tells me if you took a working 1100 motor and electrical and put it in a different frame, you should still have a working 1100 motor and electrical system.

I think it would just make troubleshooting a lot easier if the electrical system is all from the same motor rather than a mix-match of parts.

Best of luck and sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

G

·
Electrical wise there is a lot in common between the 750 & 1100 but some small differences as well, your best bet is to fit all stock 1100 bits for a start & don't mess with the dyna or VH stuff until its up & running.

I could go into chapter & verse on what works on what but you really would end up chasing your tail for weeks working it all out :)

So talking stock stuff the only things that interrupt power to the coils are the sidestand switch, the clutch switch & the kill switch, the first 2 being common reasons for gsxr's not starting, both can be crossed either to test or permanently but be aware it will then start in gear

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression that the dyna box and the V&H box replaced the factory cdi box, am I wrong in thinking this? If so a stock cdi may be in order this weekend for the purposes of at least getting it running! Thank you both for the information, it will get me a great starting point for trying to figure things out! And dont worry I will keep an update going as the project progresses!

G

·
Yes I think you are right in thinking the dyna replaces the stock cdi but if its set up for a 750 I'm not sure it will work well on the 1100

I know the rev limit & the ignition advance are different between the 750 & 1100 & don't know if/how you can set what you have to work on the 1100, maybe a little investigation into that would help you decide but I think it would probably be a real pain so personally I would go with stock cdi & maybe fit the trick stuff later if I could work out what was needed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here's what I'm thinking as far as how it will look (i have lots of random suzuki parts laying around!!!) Also thinking a K1 1000 front end is in order!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I discovered that the V&H powerpak is for the old 750 motor and the only markings I have found on the dyna 2000 box point to it being for a 93-95 1100 so now i have the option of using the dyna box or the stock CDI when it shows up tomorrow given the wiring harness is not too dismantled or lacking proper wiring

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Are U sure it's an 1100 and not a Bandit 1200 motor?
The Bandit 12 used some different things that only that harness had and won't run without.
Just something I read years ago.
Also you might try and find out what year engine it really is.
I know Yantosh is a Gixer guy and knows a lot on about them.

G

·
Left side I think, bottom of the barrels there should be a number my 89 said 1127. the earlier one was 1074 I think.
There was also an 1100 Katana those years.
Same basic engine.
Check out http://www.bikebandit.com/?gclid=CKbBxvnR6cQCFVKDfgodsQwAng, it might help.

Oh and try not to use any 750 CDI Boxes on the 1100 motor. Whole different bunch of settings
John
You are getting confused here mate ..... 1127cc is oil cooled & the 1100F (Katana) is also 1127 oil cooled, this is a water cooled 1100 actual cc 1074 & not the same engine at all, but yes there should be a cc block on the barrels somewhere

Re engine number....... U= 1000-1099cc .......7= 4 stroke 4..... 07 is the design code & means its the 7th edition of the engine, unfortunately the first edition could have been an old gs or a oil cooled gsxr so pinning down the actual year is impossible, even Suzuki importers struggle with this but I hope that has been of some help :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts