Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So i've been searching, for a mx bar set up on my 01 gixxer 600, I am going to need the following:

Bar
Risers
Drilled tripple
new front brake lines

now a question on the brake lines, I only need the front right...seems obvious but jsut making sure. Also, am I going to need some sort of three way connecter? I read you may be able to go without or something, mabe I'm wrong here. Also, does anybody have a rough estimate of the length/number of lines I need, I realize the final measurement wont be able to be done will i have the bars mounted. Thanks in advance!

:cfrocks:

Nate

·
Registered
340 Posts
You best bet is to go ahead and make it a dual line off the master cylinder. You will need 2 lines one single hole and one dual hole banjo bolt. I don't believe you can exchange the one from the master cylinder to the caliper.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
There's no three way connector... The split lines mean you have one line from the master cylinder to one caliper, then a line from that caliper to the other caliper.

What you need is to get your bars on and see if you can't reroute your stock lines to fit. THEN measure and see if you need a longer one.

If you leave the lines split (like I described above) you'll need one new line. If you want better brakes, you'll split them at the master cylinder.. IE have two lines from the master, one to each brake caliper. This is a little more involved, but basically you need one line with a 'double' banjo bolt and one with a single banjo.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, So the better brake way would be 2 new longer lines one to each caliper, now they are like in line, one long line then from caliper to caliper. Cool thanks guys!

Nate

·
Registered
340 Posts
haelo said:
You may not even need lines.
Gixxer lines are kinda short to begin with. On mine with 1" risers and low bars I needed 30" lines.

Check Ebay for them. I got them for half of what my sponsor could get them to me for!!!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
You can also get custom made braided lines if you can't find any on eBay!

Just gotta match up the shape of the banjo bolts and the length.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i got one line coming from my m.c. its an 18" that goes down to a 'Y' connector, above the front fender - near the stem.

from there, i have 2 more 18" lines. one going to each caliper.

i really dont understand why people run one line to a caliper then a line from that caliper over to the next. seems dumb to me.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
929: It's cheaper for the manufacturer to do it like that.

The y-split is cleaner but it's not as good as two lines.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
russel brake lines they are cheap and dot approved edelbrock makes them

·
May be a cannibal?
109 Posts
for a cheap fix, i grabbed a rear atv brake line to run from the master cylinder to the splitter. You can see it in my non-contest buildup thread.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
HEL lines are great, I've put them on a lot of Gixxers and wondered how you can ride a bike without them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts