Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all figured I would start a build thread. I suppose every night I work on it I will update it a little.

Back info. Haven't owned a bike in a few years thought I would fine one to tinker on. Picked up a Bandit 600 heard they were good little bikes. Doing a bunch of fine tuning over the winter to get it running well. Putting new carbs on it. Old ones sat for WAY to long not worth cleaning, well that and the Bowl drain screws were all stripped out. So we can't have ugly screws.. just get new carbs. Air box was missing the entire back of it so I ordered a new back off ebay. Now comes the part that upsets me.. so jack ass thought it would be a good idea to paint the body fairings in some 99cent special crap paint and it bubbled up badly. We must persevere, I was going to order new red fairings for the back and ditch the crap on the front. BUT I got to thinking, I have seen a few bikes on here in flat black. What do you guys thing of sanding it all down except the frame and going with flat black on a red frame. And if I do should I leave the wheels black or go red with the frame. Anywho I will post some pics of the day after I got it home, Just had to take it apart.

As you can see I have alot of work ahead of me but for the most part nothing major. Also I was wonder how far I should go with the flat black. I want to kinda go overboard and get everything, Swingarm, Lower forks, Not all the engine but most of it. Just thinking that might be to much.And I cant wait to get rid of that ugly ass airbox. Anywhays I have seen many nice ass bike here and would value any 2 cents anyone would seem to have.

Dave

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way when everyone ditchs those front fairings and slims the tail down WTF are you doing with all the wires.

Reactions: Wolfman

·
WHO DARES WINS RODDERS
460 Posts
Please don't do flat black bodywork on a red frame. Anything but that. Just to give you an idea, i'm doing flat black frame with white bodywork and gunmetal grey accents in the frame inserts.
Bandits are cool, glad you got yourself a good project. Welcome.

·
trying to clear my mind!
285 Posts
looks good so far Dave!
ive got one like that.
i might re think your colour scheme though matey.
could always get the frame powdercoated thats what im doing with mine.
Mark.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well not to worried about color atm. Gonna strip it down all the way after I get it running again. Probably something simple, just likes to backfire.

·
WHO DARES WINS RODDERS
460 Posts
Back firing is most definately a carb problem especially if the bike has been sitting for a while with fuel in it. Take them apart and rebuild em dude

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting them apart today. Really acts like it want to start but nothing except backfire. So rebuild here I come.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I FULLY rebuilt carbs, Got everything back together and now she turns over a few times then tries to crank but doesn't. So after a few I thought I would just go over the whole thing and give it a good look over. It got new oil as soon as I bought it a few months ago. I thought hell lets go ahead and pull all the covers off the engine and take a look ya never know. And then it hit me. WoW this oil smells A LOT like gas, No wait this oil is like 70% gas. SO *sigh any ideas. Am I looking at getting another engine (rebuild is just to expensive) Or could months of tinkering and turning it over with out it firing have caused this issue and i should be after flushing it all out? And one more thing if I do have to wind up replacing the engine how tough is it to get a 1200 in the bike as far as fit and wiring n such.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK after draining and flushing the gas out of the oil. And checking for spark. Fucking nothing, She turns over and acts like it wants to crank but just fucking nothing. Gonna just have to have someone look at it. If anyone is near Chattanooga of Atlanta and wanna make some cash this weekend by having a look at it then let me know otherwise it is going to the dealership. So much I want to do but no point if the damn thing doesn't run. I can see it now, It will be something small and stupid. and cost $500....

·
trying to clear my mind!
285 Posts
spaz mate hold on before you go and replace anything, one of the float valves could be stuck open and sending fuel into the engine.
have seen this a few times with engines that have been sitting a while.

·
trying to clear my mind!
285 Posts
have you got a spark?
is the fuel tap working as these are only suction fed off the carbs.
try putting it on prime see if she fires.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing is sticking in the carbs, They are super clean. Yup spark. I have looked everything over to a degree that is just pissing me off. Gonna try to take it down to the Suzuki place in the morning. Maybe they can tell me whats up with it.

·
Powder Guy
919 Posts
Nothing is sticking in the carbs, They are super clean. Yup spark. I have looked everything over to a degree that is just pissing me off. Gonna try to take it down to the Suzuki place in the morning. Maybe they can tell me whats up with it.
Hold on a second man! This is a common problem with bandits. It's a bad petcock. It's pretty widely known about in the bandit community. The diapham in the petcock has come apart and just drips fuel into the carbs no matter what, but won't let enough flow to start the bike. Don't waste your time getting a suzuki one again. Get a Pingle valve and you will have no problems, you'll have to shut the fuel off to the bike when you park it.

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting plenty of fuel, have pulled both line off and sucked on the vacuum line and fuel came out just fine.

·
piss on it
1,295 Posts
have you tried starting fluid ? that would for sure narrow it down , if it tries to fire and run then it would be your carbs if it doesnt then the timing might be off or fire might be wrong

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad Petcock as it turns out. So now that it is running I suppose it is time to start working on the damned thing. I still say black fairings on red frame. Ideas.....

·
Cpt. Obvious
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok getting a headlight kit, Was wondering though if there was anyone who had previously used a digital speedometer on a 96-00 Bandit. And just where ya found it. I keep running across Vectors but seem to all be for off-road bikes.

·
88 Posts
i subscribed to this, im buiding the same bike. puttin on an 03 cbr tail goin kawasaki green with black frame. aztec8.com makes a killer dual headlight kit ive got on mine. oh and mine has some petcock issues too when you turn it to the one position it wont run but it runs fine in the prime position, havent got around to lookin at it yet though.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts