Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy from WI here. Been a Harley owner for a few years but my true roots are in honda so i finally got one for a few sheckels. Picked up a 1990 honda CBR1000F with 29k and some low side damage. ill post up picks later if anyone cares to see.
Just doing some minor cosmetic stuff rite now because it runs pretty good rite now. once winter comes over this place im gonna tear it town and get the motor in ship shape.
Heres the thing. i love the street fighter look, but on this one i havnt decided if i want to tear all the plastic off or not and try to convert it. most of the plastic is pretty good but from the low side drop it seems that many of the mounting brackets for the fairings are either bent in the wrong spot or missing. so not all the plastics are even straight on there. and the way this bike is made there is ALOT of plastic on it.
Then theres the trouble of the darn oil cooler and all. Any opinions?

Happy to finally be on a speed machine, she may be a bike cow of a sport bike but compared to my harley.... yea nuff said.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in midwest WI about 1 hour east on minneapolis.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Welcome to the mad house! :nuts:

I'm on the east side of Madison (Fair Oaks ave) if you ever find yourself in the area (goes for any CF'er). :rock:

Post up some pics! :ttiwwop:

I've got a '89 Hurricane 1000 in the shop at the moment for a friend of mine, building a chopper for another buddy, and do a bit of this and that in the bike scene once in a while. Huge affection for the CBR900RR (893cc models) and a pretty extensive list of owned and current bikes including but not limited to a '99 YZ400F (four stroke MX revolution!), a '93 900RR with no real direction to it at this point in the build, a turbocharged Suzuki Bandit 1200, a few other small projects too, and a GS1000 "Wes Cooley tribute" superbike build. Just to name a few two wheel related items of interest.

Ever seen the Hurricane featured on the blog? Sans bodywork they are not too bad!

http://www.customfighters.com/2393/ian-mcelroys-1987-honda-cbr-1000f/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the mad house! :nuts:

I'm on the east side of Madison (Fair Oaks ave) if you ever find yourself in the area (goes for any CF'er). :rock:

Post up some pics! :ttiwwop:

I've got a '89 Hurricane 1000 in the shop at the moment for a friend of mine, building a chopper for another buddy, and do a bit of this and that in the bike scene once in a while. Huge affection for the CBR900RR (893cc models) and a pretty extensive list of owned and current bikes including but not limited to a '99 YZ400F (four stroke MX revolution!), a '93 900RR with no real direction to it at this point in the build, a turbocharged Suzuki Bandit 1200, a few other small projects too, and a GS1000 "Wes Cooley tribute" superbike build. Just to name a few two wheel related items of interest.

Ever seen the Hurricane featured on the blog? Sans bodywork they are not too bad!

http://www.customfighters.com/2393/ian-mcelroys-1987-honda-cbr-1000f/
WOW i've seen it now! sweet mother! So far i love my hurricane/cbr lol I picked mine up in stevens point. there was an 87 i eyeballed in mauston but didnt bite on it. Ill post up pics after i get home tonight.
Ill prob message you in the future if i have questions if thats alright. im not too familiar with the bike yet and there isnt a TON of information out there for em... or parts lol plus it sounds like you know your way around a few.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here they are as promised.
This is it on the day i bought it. really the only pic i have of it then. No mirrors, ugly red windshield, etc...

and 2 weeks later a little better, hard to tell from pics, stiil needs a few pieces on the low side tho.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
That thing is CLEAN. Even with a lowside it's a mighty nice looking example. Not a huge proponent of plastics, but on that particular bike it is a time machine to have it that original and put together. The Hurricane in my shop looks like it went through a meat grinder compared. :nuts:

Feel free to ask anything you want, if I don't know I can point you in the right direction for the info. ;)

How deep can I dig for parts one might ask after seeing the stuff I come up with at times. How about original (OEM) 1992 CBR900RR FERODO brake pads for my 900RR, still in the package. Depending on what you need I can ask around and see if anyone has used stuff, or even NOS on the shelf. A few of the local bike shops have been around for well over 30 years and still have stock from the mid 80's. Seems it's a rare breed of person to love these older rocket ships they called motorcycles, even more rare of a breed to go into a local shop and ask if they have parts for them! So there is still enthusiast and commercial based backing for these bikes, you just gotta know where to look. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome in. I've always been a fan of these for some reason.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks! im enjoying it.
ive heard people say they are kinda slugish in turns and all.
Coming from an HD i love the thing, its light, nible, comfortable for a sport bike, and fast as blazing hell. but i havnt ridden many sport bikes. so ill refrain from any test rides on newer bikes so i dont ruin that opinion :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That thing is CLEAN. Even with a lowside it's a mighty nice looking example. Not a huge proponent of plastics, but on that particular bike it is a time machine to have it that original and put together. The Hurricane in my shop looks like it went through a meat grinder compared. :nuts:

Feel free to ask anything you want, if I don't know I can point you in the right direction for the info. ;)

How deep can I dig for parts one might ask after seeing the stuff I come up with at times. How about original (OEM) 1992 CBR900RR FERODO brake pads for my 900RR, still in the package. Depending on what you need I can ask around and see if anyone has used stuff, or even NOS on the shelf. A few of the local bike shops have been around for well over 30 years and still have stock from the mid 80's. Seems it's a rare breed of person to love these older rocket ships they called motorcycles, even more rare of a breed to go into a local shop and ask if they have parts for them! So there is still enthusiast and commercial based backing for these bikes, you just gotta know where to look. ;)
thanks! i know ill need help when i rip into the motor in a month or two! and thanks for the kind words on condition. the bike is very photo genic, it has a bent left fork tube. however it is only noticable because when going straight down the road the wheel is "turned a bit left" but i have a new one on the way. the bikes rides true as an arrow regardless of this. the front of the two lowers arent really bolted together because many holes and brakcets are broken but aside from that and needing a carb cleaning/tuning (rough accel through mid range) it runs great!

Funny story for you all too. i rode my Dyna last night for the first time since i got the cbr and almost dumped it twice at low speed, its like i forgot how to ride a 750lb moose all of the sudden HA! :oops:

Got the "new" windshield off ebay for $40 and found the complete left for assembly for $20 (WIN!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome! Clean looking bike! Like RatFighter said, not a huge fan of the plastics, BUT, this bike is an exception. Just flows.

Hour east of Minneapolis? Where's that?
I live in dunn county near menomonie if ya knows where that hick town is lol
I kinda figured as much and just fixin up the plastics and such!
Bike is gettin the fork fixed soon, and i gotta find a good write up for balanceing the carbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That bike is slick. I'm about an hour west of the twin cities too so nice to see someone else up here in the snowy north!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That bike is slick. I'm about an hour west of the twin cities too so nice to see someone else up here in the snowy north!
Snow if for damn sure! we got like a month or two of riding left and then its over again!
My stupid plastics keep breaking and its pissing me off! where the bolt holes are, they keep breaking away so im having to zip tie shit together ha!

Also went to check the plugs today and they were BARELY tight, i could break them loose with just the extension and no ratchet on there! PO must not have snugged them down, that could have been interesting!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts