Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.
here is what I am working on:
Its a 1981 XV 920.
2006 GSXR750 front end
2005 Harley front wheel with 2001 GSXR1000 rotors
2002 VTR1000 rear suspension with 78 CB750 spoke disk rear wheel, with 2003 Yamaha R1 disc and caliper.

I need some insight into setting up the geometry of the VTR dog link, and shock angle.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Use google search instead. Came up first page, 5 links down. Lol. But no worries, its what we're here for, help each other out.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
All of this is very interesting to me since I will be putting a R1 swingarm + linkage on my 1000f. Looking at a 18 year difference in technology I may or may not have to move my upper shock mounting bracket. I hope i dont... but... I am sure I will...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Its also fairly effective just to build a simple 2d model out of cardboard or masonite to represent the link lengths and pivot locations (use some short pan heads to screw em down to a piece of plywood for fixed pivots, up through the moving bits for moving pivots) and take measurements of shock compression for various amounts of wheel vertical displacement (-1 inch, 0, 1,2,3,4). Plug the numbers into a spread sheet and you can get a nice idea as to the shock response you'd expect to see. Then tweak your model until you get the response you want. May seem laborious, but it can be faster than learning to use a new computer program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts