Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just found this place.

i just picked up a 2006 Honda 599, my first bike. it's more or less stock, there are a few MINOR things i'd like to do to it. (maybe this forum will change my mind, haha)

here are two pics...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, naw... i'm thinking about doing something with the wheels... either new one's or painting these black, and maybe a solo seat cowl. i'm in the process of looking for mirrors... it came with some bar ends, but i'm not too crazy about them. the crappy thing about the 599 is that it comes with screw in type handlebar mount mirrors, not bolt in type fairing mount, so my options are minimal. i'd like to rig up some newer cbr or ninja mirrors, but i haven't figured that out yet.. any ideas?

aside from that, it's regular maintenance and seeing if i can get 100k miles out of her... 95k to go!! :D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE COZMO

Thanks for signing up! Enjoy the site!

thats a nice bike....but i can DEFINATELY think of a few things I would want to do to it that would really make it look a little less factory...(swingarm swap -- RR series. & aftermarket rearsets).

Thats the best application I've seen of those FMF pipes. They look great. how do they sound???

great bike man! :honda: :metal:

·
Moto Madness Customs
3,444 Posts
lol, naw... i'm thinking about doing something with the wheels... either new one's or painting these black, and maybe a solo seat cowl. i'm in the process of looking for mirrors... it came with some bar ends, but i'm not too crazy about them. the crappy thing about the 599 is that it comes with screw in type handlebar mount mirrors, not bolt in type fairing mount, so my options are minimal. i'd like to rig up some newer cbr or ninja mirrors, but i haven't figured that out yet.. any ideas?

aside from that, it's regular maintenance and seeing if i can get 100k miles out of her... 95k to go!! :D
Black powder coated with a polished lip would look sweet. I have the CRG barends on my bike and yea they do kinda look funky but I got used to them and they work awesome. Much better loooking then the screw in mirrors that Buells come with

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(swingarm swap -- RR series. & aftermarket rearsets).
can you give me some more details on this?? i'm having a hell of a time finding parts for this bike.

Thats the best application I've seen of those FMF pipes. They look great. how do they sound???

great bike man! :honda: :metal:

the pipe sounds sweet. i can't compare it to stock, as the previous owner installed it, but it is def. loud. and i love the way it looks, it really tucks up next to the seat cowl nicely.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The mirrors from the CBR or Ninja mount to a full fairing and putting them on your bike might not work out too well..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the crappy thing about the 599 is that it comes with screw in type handlebar mount mirrors, not bolt in type fairing mount, so my options are minimal. i'd like to rig up some newer cbr or ninja mirrors, but i haven't figured that out yet.. any ideas?

The mirrors from the CBR or Ninja mount to a full fairing and putting them on your bike might not work out too well..
yep, i know.... i was looking around and i'm thinking the mirrors off a new ducati monster might work... they're the look i'm going for and they're screw in mount.

anyone know where i can get ducati parts?? :D :D

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
ebay, I would just do CRG barend mirrors. It makes the bike alot cleaner looking. Also might want to look into a belly pan. If you want to do the wheels cheap duplicolor high temp engine enamel works GREAT and you dont really do anything other than clean off the wheels and tape off the tire (unless you want to sand/prime/paint). Mine held up real nice for a good long time with only spraying on some primer and paint with no sanding.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
If you want ideas just look at a lot of pics of fighters for things you would like on your bike... then ask us how to do it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ebay, I would just do CRG barend mirrors.
yep, the bike came with those, and i'm not liking them.. i don't like how they stick out past the handlebars.. i want something that doesn't widen the bike.. something like on the duc i posted...

i did however put them a little further in on the handlebars... it's a little close to the controls and the visibility isn't as great (better than none at all) so we'll see how this works..

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Couple people have the small round mirrors mounted like you have them. Dunno how they like them though.

I personally don't use mirrors... they just trick you into thinking there's nothing behind you :(

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
mine are fine for intown riding (up to about 50-60mph) anything over that and they are worthless, except for seeing light trails all over the road from the vibrations lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, i ended up taking the one by the clutch lever off... it was too close to the lever and with my gloves i had a hard time getting my hand in there to squeeze it. went on a ride, got it up to 70ish, no vibrations, but couldn't really see anything behind me. it was good at lower speeds and at lights which is where my main concern for seeing behind me lies. i'm pretty happy with just the one on the right for now, so that's how i'm gonna leave it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Couple people have the small round mirrors mounted like you have them. Dunno how they like them though.

I personally don't use mirrors... they just trick you into thinking there's nothing behind you :(
well, this is my first bike and when i first got it i took the mirrors off right away... i kept finding myself looking behind me, so i decided to put them back on. i still turn my head to see behind me 90% of the time, but now i can just give a quick glance down to see if there is anything behind me.

works for now!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts