Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, my name is J.. just signed up for this thing today. I was more of a cafe racer kinda guy (Having built three in the past). I decided to mix things up a little bit and go with a streetfighter this time around. I stumbled on this bike.. for 300 bucks and an owner who was eager to get it off his hands, there was no way I could pass it up. Sure, sure.. it's a katana, but like many of you, I saw the raw potential in this thing and had to jump on it. So here goes. 2001 Suzuki GSX750F Katana with 1778 original miles. When I first got her she was in rough shape (see picture).. I took just a little bit of time and ripped apart the fairings, chopped the back end, eliminated the air box (Pod filters just went in today), new headlight.. and a bunch of other goodies that are headed my way. Hopefully this thing will be roaring sometime soon.. I already had her running (with an accidental burnout in the mix) and I'm ready for this season!

G

·
welcome to the site :)

That's a good start you have there I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

A couple of things I notice straight off are the subframe needs a bit of support underneath but I guess you knew that, the second thing is if you got to pod filters on this its going to be a pain to get set up right, they always are & you are looking at hours of work to get it near followed by a little dyno time to get it spot on, don't get me wrong its doable but not as easy as some might think

Shout up if you need any help or advice as you go along, I will be happy to help if I can

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
welcome to the site :)

That's a good start you have there I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

A couple of things I notice straight off are the subframe needs a bit of support underneath but I guess you knew that, the second thing is if you got to pod filters on this its going to be a pain to get set up right, they always are & you are looking at hours of work to get it near followed by a little dyno time to get it spot on, don't get me wrong its doable but not as easy as some might think

Shout up if you need any help or advice as you go along, I will be happy to help if I can

LOL ~ 'Pods are sods' :D

Welcom in mate ,looks like ya got tha urge to rite the wrong of plastics :) !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. I've worked with pods on my last three builds.. just need stage three jets and a good tune-up. I've got a buddy who dynos for a living, so no biggie.

I got rid of the support in the rear primarily because I weight 165 and it's only a one-seater. If I were carrying a passenger then I might have kept the frame support.. no need in this case. You can hang on the bars and they won't bend.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Welcome, always good to see another Katfighter.

Lucky you have access to a dyno, pods are a bitch on these carbs. I rec Factory Pro over Dynojet

G

·
Hmm x2 25 or 30mm tubes with a wall thickness of 1.6mm I wouldn't trust that to keep my arse off the tyre & I am lighter than you ....... just saying from my own frame building experience but its up to you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Shortened the back end even more so. Not too worried about flex of the pipe due to poor weight distribution, based on point loads and flexural strength of reinforced steel, however I do appreciate the general concern for my safety.

Wasn't sure if I should go with DynoJet or with Factory Pro, but my experience with DynoJet hasn't been the greatest so that's a little confirming. Sure does help having a shop guy that can run the tunes and dyno's for me.. when I built my first bike it took me a couple of weeks until I had it running just right. I'll upload some more pictures when I get this thing rolling.

Ride safe amigos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts