Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas!

New member here but not new to motorcycles. I have been buying project bikes on CraigsList and eBay for a few years. Most recently I purchased a 1989 CBR F1 Hurricane for a steal!

Bike came with new tires (170 rear :) ), new battery, new front rotors, pads all around, new mirrors and a few other odds and ends like new wires and plugs.

Here are the pictures :

When I got the bike it didnt run but he swore that last month before he did the "Tune Up" it was a screamer! I took it home, plugged the carbs in properly, some how they wiggled out of the rubber gromits that hold them to the block, I noticed the choke cable is not attached so I put that on and with a bit of ether the bike roared to life.

My plans are to put on a newer model tail, raise the whole bike up 20 or so mm by adding on to the bottom of the shock, put some 12-o'clock bars and a fighter headlight. Then Im going to paint the frame, exhaust and motor all black and the fairings/plastics white.

I hope to get some good information from you guys as I have seen quite a few Hurricanes on this site that are right along the lines of what I plan on doing.

Cheers!
Tupp

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF Tuff! Love the bike! Don't know what you paid, but looks like you got a h*ll of a deal! Repped you for the great intro & bike pics. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I finally got the bike to fire on its own. I thought that the fuel pump relay was bad but before I paid for that specialized part I wanted to rule the simple shiz out. Blew through all the fuel lines, jumped the fuel pump... All good. However the fuel filter was clogged like WOAH!

So I took the filter out and just ran the line straight to the tank. I cranked and cranked and felt the pump kick on and off.... I was on the right track.

Damn thing started to back fire, spit and sputter but no fire. On top of that I bout ran the battery dead. So I plugged in a 200amp jumper box and the Damn bike spit fire a few more times before firing up strong!

It doesn't idle. Think I need to get the carbs synced or balanced... what ever you prefer to call it.

Bottom line... I'm on my way

I also have a sweet line on a new tail and some gauges for this beast

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
evillani
87 Posts
Welcome in! Im runnen a hurricane too so i cant wait to see what you do with the thing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My plans for this thing are as follows :

Paint Frame, Motor and Exhaust - Black
Paint Wheels - White or Bronze
Any and all body panels - White

"Modern" rear subframe and seats and tail

New Gauges

New front headlight W/plastic surround - Possibly build this from FG if I dont like my options

Create a belly pan - One off made of sheet metal or I'll glass that too.

Dirtbike bars and maybe newer forks with inverted shocks... we shall see.

---------------

I have typically bought basket cases to return to factory. This will be my first "Fighter" I am not a fan of the hurricane plastics so this is a better route.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Good luck looks like you have a good bit of work in front of you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.