Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eyyy guys.... like i said in my intro post I got my project running but it won't idle and it is super lean. Anyone willing to lend me their Carb Synch tools?

I'm willing to meet you half way or I can send you cash in PayPal to hold as collateral and when I'm done I'll send the tool back and I get my money back

Or

Is it just worth it to take it to a dealer? I have been building and restoring cars and bike a my whole life but I do t have the vacuum tool with four banks to synch carbs

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I have one too if UF can't help you out

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I'm totally with Dr. J on this one. They are an invaluable tool to have on the shelf, I recommend buying one to anyone that needs to use one at least once, it means you will inevitably use it again and again.

http://cycleplicity.com/products/76...o9&network=g&gclid=CLCbiqCdyrsCFepaMgod2TwAUg

For the price you can't do any better, and the new construction that doesn't use mercury is awesome. Trust me, I dropped an old MotionPro unit some years back and it made a fucking massive mess. Got it cleaned up and properly disposed of at a local facility that takes that sort of crap, but it wasn't ideal at all and I never want to repeat that happening in my shop ever again. :nuts:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Assuming you have stock carbs and jetting. If it won't idle after doing a bench synch, you need to check to be sure you set everything to factory specs.how many turns out do you have the screws. It should idle even with a quick bench sync.
Go on McMaster carr and buy some vac gauges. Get some tubing, make a stand to hold them and you have a good synch setup for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
EBay has good ones for 65-75 bucks they are great tools that everyone should have one you can sync throttle bodies with me too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
currently I have not touched the settings on the carbs. The guy I bought it from seemed to be honest. He said it just got a tune up. New plugs, wires and "carb adjustments"

However the guy also said that shortly after all this was done he had problems with it running and ideling. Im partial to this being a garage op and he just did more harm than good...

I do have the F1 shop manual in good ol PDF. so Ill check that they are set to factory specs first but im guessing no matter what I do it will need to be synched.

This is the second time that Ive needed one so I see your point. Probs a good tool to have laying around. Traditionally Ive built lots of cars and now that im working on more and more bikes i think it may be on the list of items to buy.

Thanks for the ideas on how to make one.

·
evillani
87 Posts
I dont know your altitude which will effect it but try setting your screws to 3 1/2 out and see if that helps out at all

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
382 Posts
The sync should have very little to do with an idle problem. Most certainly an issue with either an air leak or the idle screws being out of adjustment.

Fyi 31/2 turns is ridiculous. Start at 2 maybe 21/2. I'm at 5800 feet and we need more dial due to weak vacuum signal and usually end up at 21/2 turns. I can't imagine 31/2, super super rich

·
Registered
222 Posts
It doesnt matter if the pope sold you the bike, always assume the PO didnt know what they were doing.
Read through your manual on what the carb setup is for the bike and adjust as needed. I would do a full carb tear down and rebuild if it was my bike, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Best bet would be to open carbs clean them check size jets you're running and 2 1/2 turns is usually a good place to start 3 1/2 would be crazy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading the manual on this carb synch process it should be turned out 2 1/4 turns. That 3 1/2 is a bit fat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts