Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking about a yamaha 7/11 type bike for a while now. only I am starting with a fz-700 and was planning a yami 1000 cc motor (not sure what type though, (fzr, yzf, or r1). well it looked like it wasn't gonna happen for money reasons... which is still a big hurtle.

BUT, the motor in my bike now needs a rebuild. I can probably make it through this riding season, but it still won't be running up to par. the problem is that it will cost me upwards of 500 bucks to rebuild my motor because it is so obscure. whereas a running motor from an r1 can be had for $1400 plus shipping. and I'm already bracing my frame and swinger for the buildoff (even though the bike won't be finnished by tomorrow)

so what do you guys think?

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
so is the bike a fzr vairable....im not sure or idont know the model ...I think if its the bike im thinking of a fzr 1000 will bolt right in, have you got a picture of your bike.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
naw, its the steel framed pre runner to the fzr series

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
yeah I see a pics on your my space, go for a Early YZF 1000 motor the R1 motor is radicly difernt.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got enough space I could put about anything I ever wanted under there. an r1 motor still has the same tilted forward cylinder bank so it "should" fit. right now the detirmining factor will be what motor I can get the best deal on. I found a yzf 750 motor (complete with airbox, wireing harness etc) for 1000 bucks. or a complete r1 motor for 1400.

as it is I'll be making all new brackets anyways and having them welded to the frame.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Yeah but you have to take into consideration the airbox/downdraft style head and all that garbage too......a gsxr motor can be made to fit into my katana as well but the downdraft setup on it is more of a hassle than its worth. Thats why I opted to take the 1127 route

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
You can make anything work, it's all proportional to the thickness of your wallet and your ingenuity. I think you'll have an easier time with something a little bit older...like that YZF. That's a good deal. That said, and I'm SURE you've taken this into account 'cause youre a smart guy and a machinist, that frame looks sketchy at best for strength...

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats just the top of the frame, there are two more downtubes. and I'm also fabrication a few more gussets and reinforcement tubes. it won't look much like that in the end.... strength won't be the deciding factor since it will be well covered.

I know that the yzf motor will probably be the most practical, but it lookin like I'll have a second bike in a couple months. so takin this one off the road again is gonna be easier AND how badass would my bike be with an R1 motor wedged in there? HAHAHAHA!!!!!

·
319 Posts
As long as you get the angle right for the cylinder intake (down draft) I remember reading about some guy who had some problems with this.

·
890 Posts
Not to mention that putting an R1 motor in an FZ750 chassis is going to be REALLY interesting when you crack the throttle.......probably for all the wrong reasons.....

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
why dont you just go the full aero route like the old fz750 concept bike

hehe

some of you guys might not know the fz750, while being old, still had a downdraft setup just like the fzrs so the motor angle wont be his problem here.

Also, the fz750 had a 5valve head on them. Now if it were me, and this is just me. You have to pull the motor apart to rebuild it, you said $500. Why not spend another $300-400 and turbo it. The motor already fits, youve started bracing the frame. You wont have any fitment issues. Comp ratio is 11.2:1 and its said to make 75hp at the rear wheel. Thicker head gasket running 10:1 comp and 5-7psi id say youd have a decent amount of power and you can always add more boost to get more power.

Oh and the fz750 motor wasnt structural, in the pic you linked, your missing the two lower frame rails that bolt in. Those are very important:)

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shift1313 said:
why dont you just go the full aero route like the old fz750 concept bike

hehe

some of you guys might not know the fz750, while being old, still had a downdraft setup just like the fzrs so the motor angle wont be his problem here.

Also, the fz750 had a 5valve head on them. Now if it were me, and this is just me. You have to pull the motor apart to rebuild it, you said $500. Why not spend another $300-400 and turbo it. The motor already fits, youve started bracing the frame. You wont have any fitment issues. Comp ratio is 11.2:1 and its said to make 75hp at the rear wheel. Thicker head gasket running 10:1 comp and 5-7psi id say youd have a decent amount of power and you can always add more boost to get more power.

Oh and the fz750 motor wasnt structural, in the pic you linked, your missing the two lower frame rails that bolt in. Those are very important:)

I know about the lower frame rails. they just aren't in there cuz the bike is in a million pieces. I just have not finnished smoothing the extra brackets off the lower frame rails.

I like the turbo idea. although I like a supercharger more.

I'll lookinto both options before I comit to anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts