Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

NEW OWNER OF 2002 BANDIT!

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  onesight1 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just wanted to post and introduce myself to the forum. I recently purchased a 2002 Suzuki Bandit (5K Miles) from a friend for $900. My plans for it are to immediately modify it (naked/streetfighter)

The mods I already wish to do:
1.) welding a new tail (06+ R6 tail) I guess the easiest route is to buy a subframe and weld that?
2.) handle bars, however I have NO IDEA which route to go... renthal? straight bars?.... maybe a whole GSXR front end? I've only rode 1 bike my entire life, a 2002 r6 for about 6 months., a few years ago. I want to mention this b/c that stance felt great, the bandit stock stance with the bars feels really awkward. Dont wanna go overboard thought
3. removing OEM fairings, and mounting the gauges and etc to the bike... still reading on how this is done... any advice or links to neat products like headights, etc to consider are welcomed.

I am a total, newb.... i figured for 900$ I could learn about bikes and ride it when im done.

Currently, the ONLY problem with the bike is a so-so idle.... it usually has to run with the Choke on, which i will have myself and a friend dismantle the carbs and clean the jets or w/e....youtube and DIY's should help.

cant wait to start playing with it! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a steal for 900

#7 ·
welcome in. that is definitely a hell of a deal you got. as far as the bars go my advice would be take the bars you have off the bike and sit on the bike while the side stand is down. put your feet on the pegs. close your eyes and hold your arms out to where they are comfortable, then open your eyes and see what kind of rise and pullback you would need

Reactions: DecepticonDon
#14 ·
quick questions....

I see the ebay "streetfighter" headlights are all considered crap by everyone on this board.... but what if i modified one with the stock projectors on my bandit?
Like, i'll retrofit my stock oem projectors to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400474113566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

From a quick research I see that the Bandit 600 (mine) use 41mm clip-ons.... I found some very inexpensive vortex clip ons, are these above or below the triple tree? Anybody run into any problems with either when installing? like hitting the tank, etc

#16 ·
im learning and tinkering.. in theory I am familiar with how things are suppose to go... but i cant turn a wrench worth shit, thats why i figured this will be a great learning experience for me. If shits hits the fan I have a few friends who can help get me back on the right path...

I told myself I was going to solely work on this whenever I was free on weekends, but I just cant help myself. I removed the tail to take a look at the subframe, Ill start removing more as I get closer to marking the cut points to weld on lugs to bolt up a subframe to.

I was going to go with 06+ r6, but its too costly :( ... i could afford it, but I have SO many mods I plan on doing, i want to be careful with overspending.

My plans now are 00-02' r6 tail.. or 03-05" r6 tail.... they sell from 80-130 on ebay. HOWEVER, i decided to check out the subframes to the ZX6r's and they seem to go for even cheaper than the r6 ... any thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/yZtOxQn.jpg

edit: I honestly feel a little bad modding this bandit, its pretty mint. But this is the only way im going to have a bike i feel good riding. Also, this thing is FREAKING HEAVY. wow... i dont remember having difficulty rocking my r6 bike to use center stand mechanism

I cant find any COMPLETE sets of tails on ebay, so i'll order part by part.

please, someone let me know if I am missing anything

subframe, cowl, seat cushion, undertail, pass pegs?

all the nuts and bolts I can use from my bandit? the electrical wires and etc that are currently hanging get rigged to fit however possible? or do they fit neatly in the new subframe?

#18 ·
Just purchased my subframe... I unexpectadly went with a 09+ zx6r subframe... the ebay listing said it was complete/straight and even includes bolts, etc)... but mentioned "servo motor included" ... wtf is a servo motor?

here is what I bought.

from this pic all I need is tailight/fairings/seat? right? more or less? I dont know is these require an undertail or if its part of the tray

its kinda weird that the tail cowl comes in pieces (left/right, etc) ...

#21 ·
looking at the frame, Im just guessing this is where I'll have to cut off/fill holes. Then the lug will be welded , for the new subframe to be accepted/bolted right up?

I notice the tank will have nowhere to be bolted down to? I could easliy fab something on the subframe tail right?

#24 ·
went to the local motorcyle shop and test fit some helmets/gloves.

I decided on the Icon Airmada (gloss black) + dark smoke visor

between celebrating ribfest downtown and a friends birthday, I had only 30 min to play with my bike.

mocked up some ideas for the front. I think I'll order a buell windscreen sometime soon.

edit: i really have a small idea of how this will actually work in its functionality, any tips please help... im winging it as far as it goes

I also went ahead and bought my helmet.:
Icon Armada gloss black + dark smoke visor.

tonight at work I'll look for alpinestar gloves :) im so pumped to ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.