Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the pieces to fix the BMW and did so. I rode it today and it was slow and noisey like I thought it would be. But, that aint why I am posting here, somewhere in that BMW thread I warned a storm was brewing for my next chop job. So here it is:

Yamaha XVZ12 Venture 1200cc V4

I have always loved these motors, since the first time I saw a V-Max do a gnarly burnout. The best part of this POS, it was free! My dad bought it as a parts bike for his, stripped off all the stuff he wanted and left me with the rest. He stole the forks, final drive and plastics

Its new home!

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FJR 17 inch wheels, 190 or 200 rear tire, FJR final drive, two IHI RHB31 plumbed into a common airbox pushing 5 to 8 max psi. Possibility of R1 forks and triples. Acewell or similar for gauges

Looks wise I have a couple ideas for the tail, one will be a single truncated seat with most of the rear tire showing. The second will be a two place seat for when my wife wants to ride. It is only 4 bolts to change is out so it is just fabrication time getting it done.

The gas tank will be made just a bit smaller but I will retain the electric fuel pump system for reliable delivery

A fairing like this
possibly but without the cruiser Gayness that is associated

I have an idea in my head but m unable to explain it. It will be a mixture of many different genres like my BMW

Loud and fast being the most important ones

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i almost ended up with one of these. they are pretty bad ass and loads of grunt. looking forward to see what you come up with

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got exactly jack shit done yesterday. I went to the store and bought a sixer of IPA, came home finished out my phone calls. I was just about ready to got down to the garage when my friend called needing a hand. He was about 50 miles from home and his bike quit running.

Never leave a brother hangin and I got dinner and free beer for the rescue

·
37 Posts
Now that will be interesting to watch with a pair of turbos....

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your looking for a fairing I still have my Fzr fairing laying around... it would look virtually identical after some chopping

If you wernt in Florida I would be interested but shipping to the opposite corner of the CONUS would be a bit much. What year Fizzer izzit so I know what to look for.

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the stripping has begun, I have to sat that EVERYTHING on this piggy is heavy. No joke the wiring harness alone must have weighed in at 20+ pounds. While I am impressed how heavy the frame is, I am not impressed by how heavy the frame is. The amount of cross bracing is overkill.

Gas tank, subframe and air box are gone, getting down to a motor and 2 tires like it should look

More work today and more pics, I was almost drunk when I took these with my droid potato (My wife had my shop camera in her car)

·
Engorged Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how are the parts commonality with the other yamaha v4 aka the 'Max?
Parts are the same, the 83 Venture models were the test bed for the V-Max release in 85. Now with that said the carbs are 2mm smaller and the cam profiles are different, but everything can be swapped back and forth.

I was really excited to get this bike as it is basically a V-Max motor minus the hipo goodies. Cycle Magazine tested one in 1983, it pulled a 12.69 1/4 mile and it weighed in at 911 pounds. It is rated at approx 90 horse from the factory so pushing it to 130 HP should not be too difficult. And, the piggie is a major friggin diet!!!

Specs are below

1983 Yamaha Venture Specifications Cycle Magazine 6/1983 Test Specifications
Make and Model Yamaha XVZ12TK Venture
Price suggested retail (as of 3/22/83) $5599
Performance

Standing 1/4 mile 12.69 sec. @ 103.92 mph
Engine rpm @ 60 mph, top gear 3313
Average fuel consumption rate 42.6 mpg (18.1 km/L)
Cruising range 226 miles (363 km)
Load capacity (GVWR less curb weight) 417 lbs (189 kg)
Maximum speed in gears @ redline (1) 48 (2) 70 (3) 92 (4) 116 (5) 136
Engine

Type Four-stroke, V-four; liquid-cooled with dual chain-driven overhead camshafts; four valves per cylinder
Bore and stroke 76.0 x 66.0mm (2.99 x 2.60 in)
Piston displacement 1198cc (73.1 cu.in.)
HP 90
Compression ratio 10.5:1
Carburetion (4) Mikuni 34mm constant-vacuum
Exhaust system Four-into-two
Ignition Battery-powered, inductive, magnetically triggered
Air filtration Paper element, disposable
Oil filtration Paper element, disposable
Oil Capacity Periodic oil change 3.7 US qt/3.5L/3.1 Imp qt w/filter replacement 4.0 US qt/3.8L/3.3 Imp qt
Transmission
Type Five-speed, constant-mesh, wet-clutch
Primary drive Spur gear 87/49, 1.78
Final drive Shaft, with helical bevel gears 21/27 x 33/10, 2.57
Gear ratios (transmission) (1) 39/15, 2.60 (2) 39/22, 1.77 (3) 31/23, 1.35 (4) 31/29, 107 (5) 29/32, 0.91
Gear ratios (overall) (1) 11.88 (2) 8.09 (3) 6.17 (4) 4.89 (5) 4.16 Home Chassis
Frame Type Double-downtube, full-cradle frame; round-section steel swing arm
Front Suspension Center-axle, air-adjustable fork with 40mm tubes, anti-dive valving and 5.1 in. (130mm) of travel
Rear Suspension (1) air-adjustable shock absorber, adjustable for rebound dampening, producing 4.2 in. (107mm) of rear-wheel travel
Wheelbase 63.4 in. (1610mm)
Rake/Trail 28.5 deg /4.9 in. (125mm)
Front Brake Hydraulic, dual-disc with dual-piston calipers
Rear Brake single-disc with dual-piston calipers
Front Wheel Cast, 2.15 x 18
Rear Wheel Cast, 3.00 x 16
Front Tire 120/90 18 65H Dunlop Qualifier F-16
Rear Tire 140/90 16 71H Dunlop Qualifier K827
Seat height 31.2 in. (792mm)
Ground Clearance 5.6 inc. (142mm)
Fuel Capacity 5.3 gal. (20 L)
Curb weight full tank 751.5 lbs. (340.8 kg)
Test weight 911.5 lbs. (413.5 kg)
Power source AC, 3 phase Alternator
Charger control Solid-state voltage regulator/rectifier
Headlight beams high/low 65/60 watts
Tail/stoplights 8/27 watts (2)
Battery 12V 18AH
Instruments Includes: Speedometer, odometer, trip meter, tachometer, with 7500-rpm redline. Fuel, Coolant temperature and volt gauges, indicators for neutral, high-beam, turn signals, side stand down, low brake fluid, engine oil and batter levels, head lamp and tail lamp out, low fuel level and LCD clock.
Speedometer error 30 mph indicated, actual...............28.22 60 mph indicated, actual...............57.80

1 - 16 of 16 Posts