Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither a sports bike or a fighter, but I love you guys so what the hell. I'll document the build here.

My latest build is going to be the toughest yet. We're bulding a quad for the "Race to the Sky" hill climb in Queenstown next year. Similar race to "Pykes Peak" but without the tarmac section.

The powerplant has yet to be decided but to start with, we'll run my CBR600 motor from my stunt bike as it's not getting used at the moment.

The chasis we're basing the machine on arrives next week and it's currently a Kawasaki (hereinafter refered to as the Kumandsukme) KLF250 2WD. The plan is to keep the costs as low as possible as both me and my build partner have ZERO money.

If anyone's actually ever built a gravel road, hillclimb quad, please feel free to post suggestions/experiances here. I could really use the guidance as I'm flying totally blind.

Also, if anybody has a GSXR1000 or R1 motor lying around out of a wreck they'd like to move on cheap, let me know.

Now. Where the fuck's my hacksaw.....

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
White trash said:
Neither a sports bike or a fighter, but I love you guys so what the hell. I'll document the build here.

My latest build is going to be the toughest yet. We're bulding a quad for the "Race to the Sky" hill climb in Queenstown next year. Similar race to "Pykes Peak" but without the tarmac section.

The powerplant has yet to be decided but to start with, we'll run my CBR600 motor from my stunt bike as it's not getting used at the moment.

The chasis we're basing the machine on arrives next week and it's currently a Kawasaki (hereinafter refered to as the Kumandsukme) KLF250 2WD. The plan is to keep the costs as low as possible as both me and my build partner have ZERO money.

If anyone's actually ever built a gravel road, hillclimb quad, please feel free to post suggestions/experiances here. I could really use the guidance as I'm flying totally blind.

Also, if anybody has a GSXR1000 or R1 motor lying around out of a wreck they'd like to move on cheap, let me know.

WOW! That is SOOO weird!!! We have a member: Cali#1, who is working with some friends to start a shop called Monster Quads Unlimited, he has a blog about it here, but they put a 600 motor in a quad already, and it was sweet (until they blew the motor), but now they are (or actually should have finished by now?) putting an R1 motor into that frame, so you should talk to him, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the info mate. It is a little weird and to be honest, it's all new, which is the attraction to me.

I've never been too shit hot on gravel on two wheels, I think I'll like the security of four wheels mostly on the ground.

The current big guys at Race to the sky are clocking over 130mph on their quads. They use all sorts of tricky experimental stuff like wings which tilt to maximise down force and act as an air brake when the throttle's closed.

Mad Mike Shackleton even campaigned a 4wd, turbo Busa powered unit called Quadzilla IV. 450bhp at the tread but unfortunately, there wasn't a clutch that could handle the power. He started off similar to me. Had an idea in a pub, chucked a GSX1100 motor in an LT500 King-Quad and it snowballed from there.

I'm really looking forward to ripping into it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
SICK!!!!! :cfrocks:

good stuff white trash. take pics. lots of em.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats sick man! I love seeing ridiculously fast quads, and that sounds like what you're working on! Good luck, and get us some pics if you get a chance!

·
Registered
40 Posts

hey white trash, Im from monster quads unlimited. we're currently in the process of putting together 2 quads right now I think you'll like. we had two old quadracer 250 frames laying around one of the previously had a 600 ninja motor in it but that blew up so we're putting an R1 motor in it instead. the other is the same type of frame, I crashed my Z400 pretty good so i took the motor out of that and we're gonna stick it in a 250 frame as well. here's a link to our blog where we are documenting both the build ups. it's still in the works but pics will be up soon http://dirtbike.customfighters.com/ also we have a little video that has some footage of the members from our crew, as well as the old 600 ninja quad in action on the dry lake bed, and sadly it blowing up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9k9mvQj_fo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wicked stuff, thanks for the encouragement guys.
The main issue for us is going to be building a rear swing arm and fitting a solid axle as the Kumandsukme's shaft drive with a diff lock.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
White trash said:
Wicked stuff, thanks for the encouragement guys.
The main issue for us is going to be building a rear swing arm and fitting a solid axle as the Kumandsukme's shaft drive with a diff lock.
We wish you the best of luck with it! Keep us posted on your progress, and feel free to ask any questions that may come up, we love to help, especially on unique custom projects, such as this! :rock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
thats sick I've seen that video before:party-smiley: give us a couple months when we get our turbo we'll see what happens...lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. I had the Kumandsukme delivered on the weekend and it's better than I'd hoped. The CBR motor is going to fit quite nicely without any major frame modifications. Before the race next easter we'll be sourcing a GSXR1000 powerplant but the CBR gives us a good place to start.

What I really need to source is the complete rear end (minus the axle) from a YFM350 Banshee. Simply because this looks like the easiest conversion from what I've seen and they've been building them for years, there should be heaps of cheap used parts available.So Cali#1 or anyone else, if you know anybody with a fucked Banshee, I'd chuck good money at them to get the complete swing arm and shock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey man sounds like you are doing some pretty cool shit over there.. i don't know anyone personaly with a fucked up banshee, but I'll keep my eyes open for anything that might come along. I know a lot of people who know a lot of people so hopefull I can help you out or point you in the right direction.:metal: Keep up the good Work, and Don't forget to take pictures....i wanna see it!!!:rock:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks mate, much apreciated. Me and the guy helping me build have ZERO experience with quads so we're totaly winging it. Adds to the fun though, trying to nut out what'll work and what'll kill us.:D

I just wanna ride the bastard now!

Here's the first pic we took. We only thought of taking it after we'd half ripped the thing to bits. It's absolutely caked in cow shit too. Nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, after a few more beers and some staring at the thing, I've decided to use the CBR swing arm too. We're just going to weld some bracing to it. This'll give us a little extra wheelbase, hopefully keeping the front wheels firmly on the deck. The trade off will be a little traction but I think we can overcome this.

Next job is to totaly strip and refurbish the frame and front suspension. The frame is going to need serious strengthening to cope with the narrow swing arm and lateral stress we're hoping to create. That's easy, it's just steel and welds but the geometry required to nut out the grip/wheelbase compromise is going to take a bit of trial and error.

Next pic will be of a million bits awaiting paint.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
White trash said:
OK, after a few more beers and some staring at the thing, I've decided to use the CBR swing arm too. We're just going to weld some bracing to it. This'll give us a little extra wheelbase, hopefully keeping the front wheels firmly on the deck. The trade off will be a little traction but I think we can overcome this.

Next job is to totaly strip and refurbish the frame and front suspension. The frame is going to need serious strengthening to cope with the narrow swing arm and lateral stress we're hoping to create. That's easy, it's just steel and welds but the geometry required to nut out the grip/wheelbase compromise is going to take a bit of trial and error.

Next pic will be of a million bits awaiting paint.
Nice man, sounds like its coming right along! Can't wait to see the beast all finished!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts