Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I just picked up a 91 ninja 600. Its my first bike and i'll be taking it slow learning while also making it into something i'll be proud of. I'm going for subtle and cost effective. My first plan is to take that front fairing off and mount up a custom "dominator" headlight. Let me know if you have any tips or ideas for me! I am wide open to learning!

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Welcome!

If it's your first bike I'll assume you havent spent much time riding yet. If this is true and everything on the bike works as it should I would suggest you just lurk the forum to get ideas and spend your Summer riding. Do a search for other ninja builds and read through them so you get a idea of what is easy/hard to swap onto the bike, what does/doesn't look good, and the tools needed to do said part swapping. Then when Winter comes you know the bike better, you have a idea of what you can/can't do with your current tools and knowledge level, and most importantly you'll have a plan. I have wasted a lot of money on projects because I jumped right in without a plan and now the parts wont fit the end result I want. I dont suggest doing that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That's kind of what I had planned to learn the bike a little better before jumping in. Then to start the build in winter. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: ROBBO and oldrider

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Welcome to CF!

In addition to what RG said, riding will also give you a chance to figure out what you like and don't like about the bike. Doing this will allow you to fix or change the bad and keep or improve on the good. Seat position, bar position, rearsets, storage (or lack thereof)

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Reactions: oldrider

·
Registered
510 Posts
welcome to cf....

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF cpomeroy! Nice bike & nice intro & you've already gotten the best advice.....;)

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i'm itching to start work but it needs a little TLC to get it road worthy. Example: new chain and sprockets, clutch cable, brakes bled, etc. I want to strip the front fairing down but should probably be patient...

·
Soo FOOKIN close!
2,095 Posts
Welcome in dude. Just how much experience do you have with wrenching? Once you take the fairings off, there are going to be a few things that you will have to do, like hiding wiring, relocating coolant overflow bottle, etc, and it's not always as straight forward as one would think. All too often a 'quick' project turns into a much more complicated one which takes longer that anticipated, and it is easy to get in over your head. Having said that, I think it is the perfect way to learn, but if you want to be riding during summer, rather wait til the season is over and then jump in and DW!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I'm going to take the summer to learn and just clean the bike up a little and then rip into it this winter. I try to keep posting pictures of progress and such! Thanks guys!

Reactions: ROBBO and oldrider

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Yeah I'm going to take the summer to learn and just clean the bike up a little and then rip into it this winter. I try to keep posting pictures of progress and such! Thanks guys!
This is good! welcom in Pom'GL with yer project glad ta see ya gotta kawaker rite offa tha bat mate:robssmilie:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts